BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Admission of guilt? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: fuckadoodledoo! [+] Most_Awesome_Tag_EVAH [+] [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this will change no minds of the incredibly dug in sides here, but still interesting to see this nonetheless.

Does this change YOUR mind?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/13/planned-parenthood-to-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Change opinions on what? Abortion?

It didn't change my opinion on abortion at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
Change opinions on what? Abortion?

It didn't change my opinion on abortion at all.

Subject, Admission of guilt?
Do you think they were doing something illegal and got caught and are now doing this because they are in trouble?
Or do you think they weren't doing anything illegal and are only doing this to make themselves look good?
Or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
Haven't they always been forthright about the fact that they recover costs? I guess I don't see where this is an addition of guilt, though I do find it interesting that they are voluntarily refusing the cost recovery legally allowed.

I think this is similar to the people that get pissed about big oil having tax loopholes. If it helps them with their costs and it's legal to do so, why are you getting pissed off? If the law is bad, elect someone willing to change it. If the law is fine, what's the problem?

Why in the world would they stop doing something that is legal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have caved to the fact that there is an appearance of guilt. It's legal, but it's skeevy. So in the name of trying to lessen the controversy around abortions as much as possible, they're capitulating on this cost recovery measure. Public pressure has succeeded. Something that was legal but morally repugnant has been stopped.

It's a victory for the pro-life movement, but it's a hollow one at best. This won't to anything to curb or alter abortions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Planned Parenthood: "This thing we claimed we weren't doing, we're going to stop doing it."

I consider this a major admission. I mean, just last week we were still hearing "DECEPTIVE EDITS"! And now suddenly it's "Yeah, we actually are profiting from baby organ harvesting after all."

I mean, even the claim of deceptive edits was a giveaway. Because obviously what was seen in the videos was so horrifying, even Planned Parenthood themselves dodged behind a claim of "deceptive edits."

In other words, if they really felt that what they were doing was truly above board, they never would have felt the need to lie about it.

By the way, anyone who thinks they'll stop is a fool. They'll just find another way to launder the cash.

Except you're completely wrong. That I can recall they've not ever denied being reimbursed for the cost of the research donations and they have never (including in the article) indicated they profit from the reimbursement. Do you understand the difference between cost reimbursement and profit or did you just not read the article? Like, you can argue getting any money, reimbursement or otherwise, is repugnant and I'd understand. Why weaken your argument by skewing things to the point of an outright lie?

Apparently planned parenthood doesn't understand, or they wouldn't have stopped right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Apparently planned parenthood doesn't understand, or they wouldn't have stopped right?

They do understand, but there are enough people who bought the propaganda of the doctored videos to jeopardize their mission of protecting women's health. So in the interest of the bigger picture, they are taking one for the team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

They do understand, but there are enough people who bought the propaganda of the doctored videos to jeopardize their mission of protecting women's health. So in the interest of the bigger picture, they are taking one for the team.

I suppose they cgi'ed the whole Lamborghini thing in right?
Won't this hurt their business in the long run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

They do understand, but there are enough people who bought the propaganda of the doctored videos to jeopardize their mission of protecting women's health.

Speaking of buying propaganda, you realize the videos weren't "doctored" right?

Industrial Light and Magic did the changes I bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

People and organizations do it all the time. You find out that some legal activity is politically unpalatable and decide to cease doing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

People and organizations do it all the time. You find out that some legal activity is politically unpalatable and decide to cease doing it.

Seems the majority in this forum finds whatever PP does as totally acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:

It's definitely skeevy. I'm not sure it's morally repugnant, or any more so than a woman voluntarily donating her liver. At least not to that side of the fence.

I still think it's as morally repugnant as donating someone else's liver. But like you said about middle ground and all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

You asked a question. I gave you an answer. It's not at all uncommon for organizations to modify behavior based on complaints or other negative feedback, even if what they were doing was perfectly legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Speaking of buying propaganda, you realize the videos weren't "doctored" right?

I saw the videos and read the actual transcripts (for at least one of the videos) and saw that they creatively edited the conversation to make it look/sound worse than it was. No, they didn't add anything damning. Even with their first year film student level editing they couldn't get actual evidence of any wrongdoing, just insensitive discussions about doing things legally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

You asked a question. I gave you an answer. It's not at all uncommon for organizations to modify behavior based on complaints or other negative feedback, even if what they were doing was perfectly legal.

Im saying, why cave to what people think is a minority?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

I suppose they cgi'ed the whole Lamborghini thing in right?
Won't this hurt their business in the long run?

It depends, if they continue to make the extra effort to get tissues for researchers, that will take extra time and resources that they could be using to help other women. If they just stop collecting and dispose of everything, then the only people hurt are the researchers and their research and possibly the people who would have benefited from that research.

If the tissue is important enough, I suppose that they could just give vouchers to women to get abortions from private clinics who aren't worried about the political perceptions and will take processing fees for tissues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

You haven't done much work in public relations, have you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

You haven't done much work in public relations, have you?

If they are so above board, why change?
Are they in danger of alienating anyone?
They have such a polarizing business, people either hate it or not, are they really going to keep "customers" by doing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

In short, why should we believe them? This is just PR.

And you don't have to. Every investigation has found no wrongdoing on PP's part. If that doesn't satisfy than they can't convince you. They are worried about moderates who might have been feeling squeemish enough to get PP funding cut. They couldn't afford that. There will always be the hardline pro-lifers, this move isn't directed at them (you, presumably)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Are they in danger of alienating anyone?
They have such a polarizing business, people either hate it or not, are they really going to keep "customers" by doing this?

Why waste money trying to fight gotcha propaganda "journalists" to constantly defend that they are doing the right thing? This is the same reason so many people who are completely innocent settle out of court. Defending your innocence becomes more damaging then just cutting bait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's why companies have given in to protests by the Food Babe and her readers even though the chemical they removed was perfectly harmless. It's often easier to just give in.

The filmmakers did add in images of a still-born baby (used without its mother's permission) that was claimed to be an aborted fetus. I'd call that doctoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Every investigation has found no wrongdoing on PP's part.

Yes, that's another well-known Planned Parenthood talking point.

And talking about something that is true is noteworthy because...

peppermint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Perhaps you can post something from the five or six investigations that have taken place in as many states that, you know, actually shows wrongdoing or illegalities of some kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

You are just the fucking worst.

Tell me more about the MANSIONS and SUPERCARS the BABY MURDERERS at PP are buying up in SHOCKING QUANTITIES, Mr. Straight Talkin' Truth Lover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Because of you and Drew and your allies. It's your fault that PP will no longer be accepting reimbursement for tissue donations. They'll either have less money for women's health, or will stop incurring those costs by refusing to harvest this tissue. That roadblock to care for low-income women and/or medical research is your fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.