mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What do you think?
Novel Concept
Money Grab
I don't care I just like to vote in polls
      203 answers
Poll created by kalaheo

Personally, I think they should make a limited amount of the advent calendars for the people who like the idea of opening a promo a day or want promos ASAP and then in January or something release all the promos individually in large quantity on the BGG store.

But that's just me. I understand that this is a German company making German promos for German games and they have no obligation to make them available elsewhere but that being said there are promos for two games in my top ten and several more in my top 25 so I'll be doing my best to hunt down a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly a novel concept, and it will very likely grab some money... I don't see the point of this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be *extremely* surprised if most if not all of these promos were available directly from the publisher sometime next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
I would be *extremely* surprised if most if not all of these promos were available directly from the publisher sometime next year.

I would be. Many of the companies (and games in particular) have small expansions that are hard to find. This sort of thing is fairly common and annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what is meant by "money grab" in this case. They wouldn't do it if it wouldn't make some money.

I believe it was said that the promos would be available separately (ie next year, etc), for the most part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they grab some money because I want to buy one every year. It's an excellent idea and at 2 EUR per promo it's less than half of what I pay for promos at the BGG store. Now I just need to buy the missing games :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't a question of them not having an 'obligation' to make them available elsewhere, they don't have the rights to do so. Different US publishers will own the rights to these games and as such own rights to expansions. I am sure it is possible for a US retailer to import stock, but Frosted Games will have no rights to distribute this in the US. 'Money Grab' seems a harsh term to use against a small publisher who had an interesting idea and brought it to fruition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Randolph
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckworp wrote:
'Money Grab' seems a harsh term to use against a small publisher who had an interesting idea and brought it to fruition.

I agree, but new ideas can often be met with animosity and I just figured I'd start the thread for those who don't agree with the calendar.

duckworp wrote:
It isn't a question of them not having an 'obligation' to make them available elsewhere, they don't have the rights to do so. Different US publishers will own the rights to these games and as such own rights to expansions. I am sure it is possible for a US retailer to import stock, but Frosted Games will have no rights to distribute this in the US.

So theoretically, they could make more calendars and BGG or Funagain or somebody could import them and sell them here as long as they're in German? I only ask because I'm curious as to what could happen if U.S. publishers with the rights don't want to make them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot to include the correct answer. BOTH.

They saw a hole in the market. They filled it. They will make money off it. Selling a product people want is technically a money grab but not with a negative connotation.

The problem is that the item in question is pretty much going to be exclusive to Essen and BGG con. And geographic exclusives are annoying.

A specialty item like this should have online orders available with a distinct "print-to-order" because its a specialty item. That way everyone who wants it gets a chance to order it, and the company isn't on the hook for extra stock for a "seasonal" item. Any remaining over-run or potentially damaged copies can be sold in February through whatever limited channel.

Since this is the first year, we can give them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't think there'd be this much demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the term money grab implies it is done simply for that and in no why benefits the fans of the games (now and in the future).

The detriment to fans that DON'T live in Europe and for future fans of the games involved are why I call it a money grab.

Plus the sheer quantity of games involved.. it's not like it's 5 or ten games...it's 24.

Plus I don't think they would be prevented from publishing them in multiple languages..

I think they should have made all the bits language independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
I think the term money grab implies it is done simply for that and in no why benefits the fans of the games (now and in the future).

The detriment to fans that DON'T live in Europe and for future fans of the games involved are why I call it a money grab.

Plus the sheer quantity of games involved.. it's not like it's 5 or ten games...it's 24.

Plus I don't think they would be prevented from publishing them in multiple languages..

I think they should have made all the bits language independent.

Who is "they"? Did they make any of the bits?

Anyway nearly all are language independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:

The problem is that the item in question is pretty much going to be exclusive to Essen and BGG con. And geographic exclusives are annoying.

The absolute real problem with this item.

crycrycrycrycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

crycrycrycrycry

There are other problems in there as well.
But Funagain ordered close to 100 of them as well and makes them available besides the BGG.CON, and if BGG is not selling out, you can find it in their store after the show.

The other issue is: I have only limited money resources to produce this calendar. I did not go the route with crowdfunding as it might go wrong and I did not have any experience running it myself and it also does not lend itself to e.g. stretch goals.

I only have the items in there for one year. And all publishers can then rerelease them after that year. If they do or not is up to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rutger W
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Money grab? No, this has been an excellent and creative way of releasing expansions. You can't really judge this by the materials alone, it is like what, 2 euroes per promo?

The only thing I would categorize as "money grab" is the unfortunate case when one of these promo's becomes extremely rare, and people capitalize on it on ebay, without the designer seeing any of that money.

Three examples I experienced this with;
- "Cathars" expansion for Carcassonne. This is still going on the marketplace (up to 90 dollars for 4 tiles YAY meeple);
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/13300/carcasson...
- "Black Gate card" for Knizia's Lord of the Rings. Don't expect it to arrive on the marketplace or ebay for less than 100 dollars, except for people that don't know.
- OH and even Boardgamegeek exclusives can get rare;
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/149377/among-stars-wiss
70 dollars for a tile and a bunch of cards that was only 5 dollars?

Either way, as I'm going to Essen each year, it makes no difference to me, keep releasing these calenders please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

crycrycrycrycry

Not really. Just ask someone to pick up a copy for you and send it to you. This is the internet - Im sure you find someone going to BGG.con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peerchen wrote:
sao123 wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

crycrycrycrycry

Not really. Just ask someone to pick up a copy for you and send it to you. This is the internet - Im sure you find someone going to BGG.con.

That doesn't change the exclusivity problem. It's not like someone a month from now can walk into a FLGS and buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a novelty product made by a German company for the German market containing German language expansions for games by mostly German publishers and it's widely available in Germany. That's not an exclusivity problem, that's a company selling its product to the target group it was made for. I think it's quite a stretch to somehow blame them for that.

I would like to buy m&m's Pretzel, KitKat Orange and the Cobra Donut Dunker Porter over here but they are not sold here. Do I feel excluded from easy access to those products? Yes. Do m&m's and KitKat have an exclusivity problem? I wouldn't call it that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:
It's a novelty product made by a German company for the German market containing German language expansions for games by mostly German publishers and it's widely available in Germany. That's not an exclusivity problem, that's a company selling its product to the target group it was made for. I think it's quite a stretch to somehow blame them for that.

I would like to buy m&m's Pretzel, KitKat Orange and the Cobra Donut Dunker Porter over here but they are not sold here. Do I feel excluded from easy access to those products? Yes. Do m&m's and KitKat have an exclusivity problem? I wouldn't call it that.

Bit different with a food versus a game (that HAS been ported over here).

That being said.. I'll mail you some m&m pretzels for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sinden
United Kingdom
Chertsey,
Surrey.UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

crycrycrycrycry

Just s note they this isn't just an Essen experience. Aeg released maps for trains at gencon 2 years in a row. Unavailable since then despite Aeg attending Essen in the same years... I'll happily swap some calendar promos for a copy of those maps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:

If consider the target audience to be limited, that is still an exclusivity problem. As far as im concerned, the target audience should be anyone who wants to buy it. No matter how you try to spin it, someone is being excluded. That by definition is an exclusivity problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
If consider the target audience to be limited, that is still an exclusivity problem. As far as im concerned, the target audience should be anyone who wants to buy it. No matter how you try to spin it, someone is being excluded. That by definition is an exclusivity problem.

It's certainly a form of exclusivity, by definition. Whether it's a "problem" is subjective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I also totally abhor and hate the fact that a small amount of the price (about 8%) goes to a charitable organization, that the company "Frosted Games" produces the calendar at minimal gain for themselves, and that the publishers providing the promos did not get paid for them at all, but will have the right to produce and distribute the promos themselves after a certain timespan of limitation.

Damn all those bastards to hell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought one here in Seattle last night and I couldn't be more thrilled. I think it's a brilliant idea and I hope they do it every year. I would pay $3/expansion ($72) instead of the $65 we did pay.

Awesomesauce. That is all.
JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Peerchen wrote:
sao123 wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

crycrycrycrycry

That doesn't change the exclusivity problem. It's not like someone a month from now can walk into a FLGS and buy it.

Well, at least BGG put it in the BGG Store, and for $60, just like it was at BGG.CON.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futiles wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Peerchen wrote:
sao123 wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

crycrycrycrycry

Well, at least BGG put it in the BGG Store, and for $60, just like it was at BGG.CON.

yeah. That lasted a long time and I am sure everyone got one.

The cost is also a problem. I only wanted 4 things from it. Why would I want to pay $60 to have 20 things I wanted to get rid of (oh which it seems at least 5+ of are things not many people want).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.