Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Kleve
Norway
Bodoe
Nordland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my second game of Twilight Struggle yesterday, and we had a situation which might have turned the game, or at least made it last a couple of turns longer. I, as Us, played Indo-Pakistani war - Pakistan invaded India. Both countries was Soviet controlled, Burma was neutral. The card states that each enemy-controlled neighbour to the county being invaded, reduces the dice roll by one. But what about the two countries involved here? The only Soviet-controlled neighbour to the invaded country was the invader himself! We decided to count Pakistan as Soviet controlled neighbour for the purpose of die roll modifier, thereby demanding a die roll of 5-6 for success. I, as Us, rolled 4 - fail. The next turn Soviet won automatic victory with 20 vp on his second card play. I was planning to cash in 5 - 6 VP on later card plays that turn, thereby reducing the Soviet lead significantly. but it was not to be.

But did we do right? Should Soviet control of Pakistan count towards die roll modifiers when Pakistan invades India? In real life one would think a Pakistani invasion of India would make the Indians even more sceptic to the Soviets when the invader also are Soviet-friendly, not less. On the other hand, there's the playability-factor which the designers want to take predence over historical correctnes. So what is your verdict in this situation, designers and fellow gamers?

I apologize if this question already is answered. I tried to search the rules forum, but couldn't find an answer.

Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you did it correctly. Pakistan is an adjacent USSR-controlled country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kleve
Norway
Bodoe
Nordland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I plan to play the game again this weekend, so I appreciate your swift answer. Even if it costed me the game (or at least hastened my loss)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.