Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Sinclair
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under rule 7.5 there is no specific order given (other than the order written) that hits are applied before the "refuse to fight" results. However it is obvious that in the battle example (7.8) that hits are applied first.

My question is if this is correct. It would seem to be based on the period that a "refuse to fight" would mean they flee before battle, thus cannot be given a hit. The example indicates that the Native American unit is hit then put into the refuse to fight box.

If this is the correct order I can see this being "gamed" by bringing in Militia and Native Americans and having them take all the hits then send them to the refuse to fight without hitting on the regular units. Just doesn't seem right I think the "refuse to fight" results should be done before the hits.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill molyneaux
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Hello,

Refuse to fight rolls are constant thru each battle. Example the natives may hold firm for a few turns then your opponent may roll a refuse to fight roll and they are placed in the holding box.

Thank you
Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, see rule 7.5, third paragraph from the bottom of that section. The last sentence in that paragraph states 'Hit results are applied before Refuse to Fight results'. The sequence makes sense since you rolled an amount of dice based on those units' participation. Had the term FLED been used instead, it would've been more appropriate in the sense that some units might've broken and ran AFTER receiving fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sinclair
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill - thank you for the reply.

Pepe - Also thank you for the reply. As you stated it is clearer that "they flee after taking fire".

My feeling was that I looked at it as a possible way to game the system as you take a hit and move them out of the battle with leaving the regulars at possibly full strength.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian Sinclair wrote:
Bill - thank you for the reply.

Pepe - Also thank you for the reply. As you stated it is clearer that "they flee after taking fire".

My feeling was that I looked at it as a possible way to game the system as you take a hit and move them out of the battle with leaving the regulars at possibly full strength.

Thanks again.

Brian - when the smoke clears, that is a good way to look at it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sinclair
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing it now is really clear. My guys refuse to fight after my opponent fires. It really stands out when going against a fort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian Sinclair wrote:
After playing it now is really clear. My guys refuse to fight after my opponent fires. It really stands out when going against a fort.

Brian, the weird part is that both players are supposed to roll simultaneously - with only one set of dice... Right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sinclair
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
Brian Sinclair wrote:

Brian, the weird part is that both players are supposed to roll simultaneously - with only one set of dice... Right!

You are correct on this. There should have been two sets of dice. Or at least create a track or something to keep track of hits and refuse to fights. Easy enough one thing but add in two makes for mistakes. We just rolled separately and applied results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian Sinclair wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:
Brian Sinclair wrote:

You are correct on this. There should have been two sets of dice. Or at least create a track or something to keep track of hits and refuse to fights. Easy enough one thing but add in two makes for mistakes. We just rolled separately and applied results.

My buddy and I use two D6 each to track results against our units - red die for hits, white for 'flee'... or maybe yellow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sinclair
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
Brian Sinclair wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:
Brian Sinclair wrote:

My buddy and I use two D6 each to track results against our units - red die for hits, white for 'flee'... or maybe yellow?

Great idea I will do that next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric V
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - the D6 are an excellent idea, Pepe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EricTheFed wrote:
Agreed - the D6 are an excellent idea, Pepe!

Thank you, Eric. For an old fart, I have my moments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Bouffard
Canada
Chambly
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have 3 militia units with one strenght in a battle and I receive 2 hits and 2 refuse to fight rolls. After taking damage I have one unit left with one strength. Does that unit has to put in the refuse to fight box or the two units that died can be counted as 2 units who died while trying to avoid the fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bouf7972 wrote:
If I have 3 militia units with one strenght in a battle and I receive 2 hits and 2 refuse to fight rolls. After taking damage I have one unit left with one strength. Does that unit has to put in the refuse to fight box or the two units that died can be counted as 2 units who died while trying to avoid the fight.

Rene, units that are eliminated cannot be used to satisfy Refuse to Fight rolls. Your surviving unit has to go into the box. As I pointed out in an earlier comment, paragraph 7.5 states 'Hit results are applied before Refuse to Fight results'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.