Subject: Play After December? *No Spoilers* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Oldham

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, Everyone,

I recently purchased Pandemic Legacy, and my wife and I have been enjoying it quite a bit, however, having never played the original Pandemic, we've just been going through the "vanilla" Pandemic rules so we can get the hang of it.

My question is, could we possibly go back to playing "vanilla" Pandemic after December, just ignoring any stickers or marks made on the board and with blank photo copies of the character sheets? Anyone complete December yet who could clear this up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cable
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been working on a variant that allows you to play Pandemic Legacy without having to modify your board. I haven't finished an entire play through of Pandemic Legacy yet, but when I am done with the game I would very much like to play the game with its key elements.

I have an idea how it will work and have already began creating custom components to replace the cards and stickers that are used in Pandemic Legacy. Here are some of the card backs I am working on (WIP) and no spoilers...

Scar Card (Back)

Upgrade Card (Back)

I am currently working on the back of the Relationship cards. Then I will work on the front of all the cards. I can't complete this variant though until I am totally finished with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. If you want to, you can pretty easily set it so that the game is playable as 'vanilla' pandemic after all is said and done. (This is a *lot* easier than making it fully replayable as a campaign!)

All you need to do is:

1) Whenever you put stickers on the board, make sure they don't cover up important vanilla game elements entirely. You can put the sticker "next to" or "partially covering" for the same effect during the legacy campaign; Then, after you're done with pandemic legacy, you can just ignore the sticker. Specifically, you should avoid
Spoiler (click to reveal)
placing stickers that cover up the color of a city entirely, and place them partially over or next to the city.

2) When you need to rip up a card used in vanilla pandemic due to legacy rules, put a big black X on the front of it instead of ripping it up.

I believe if you do those two things, then after the Legacy campaign is over, the components will still be usable to play a vanilla pandemic game - cards and boards will still be marked up, but you'll be able to ignore all the modifications and play a vanilla game if you so choose.

You won't be able to replay the whole legacy campaign; there's a lot of various game elements and modifications, and it would take a lot of work to make all of those undo-able. (Like what Cable is doing.) But if you're okay with just ignoring things that were relevant during the legacy campaign but are still visible, it's pretty easy to keep the board and game playable as a vanilla pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Infect and player decks tell you which colour each city is when you draw it, so having stickers over cities doesn't prevent you playing the vanilla game - it may make it a little harder to plan ahead if you're not sure whether Los Angeles is yellow or blue, or Moscow blue or black, but you can still follow the rules just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Knutson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cableinggg wrote:
I have been working on a variant that allows you to play Pandemic Legacy without having to modify your board. I haven't finished an entire play through of Pandemic Legacy yet, but when I am done with the game I would very much like to play the game with its key elements.

I have an idea how it will work and have already began creating custom components to replace the cards and stickers that are used in Pandemic Legacy. Here are some of the card backs I am working on (WIP) and no spoilers...

I am currently working on the back of the Relationship cards. Then I will work on the front of all the cards. I can't complete this variant though until I am totally finished with the game.

Have you gotten a chance to compete these scar, upgrade, and relationship cards yet? I'm interested to see (and use) the final result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.