Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Firefly: The Game – Kalidasa» Forums » General

Subject: "Roll a dice" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Puh-lease!!! shake

(Found in rulebook and on some cards.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It was done as deliberate language activism, rather than out of ignorance, but I still wince every time I read it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
At least it's consistent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonSes wrote:
It was done as deliberate language activism, rather than out of ignorance, but I still wince every time I read it.


This makes me wonder what they are trying to protest with their activism. Irregular nouns? Homonyms?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonSes wrote:
It was done as deliberate language activism, rather than out of ignorance, but I still wince every time I read it.


Even if it's the first, it's also the second.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Helms
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Language changes over time. Always has, always will.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Alexander
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The singular "dice" predates the singular "die" and has been consistently used throughout history without interruption.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinA wrote:
The singular "dice" predates the singular "die" and has been consistently used throughout history without interruption.

References? I'd love to read up on that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Alexander
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My source is the Oxford English Dictionary.

The word "die" as a singular dates back to 1393 where it appears as "dee" (before becoming "dye" and then "die").

The word "dice" as a plural dates back to 1330, where it appears as "des" or "dees" (before becoming "dyse" and then "dice"). In the 15th century it also appears as "dycys" (and, later, "dices"), most likely because...

... "dice" was also being used as a singular and had been since 1388 (predating the first attested use of "die", as noted above). The OED goes on to cite uses in the 15th, 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries. OED's citations stop there because the usage and spelling had standardized, but it continued throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, and (as demonstrated by Firefly, among others) persists in the 21st.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
JustinA wrote:
My source is the Oxford English Dictionary.

The word "die" as a singular dates back to 1393 where it appears as "dee" (before becoming "dye" and then "die").

The word "dice" as a plural dates back to 1330, where it appears as "des" or "dees" (before becoming "dyse" and then "dice"). In the 15th century it also appears as "dycys" (and, later, "dices"), most likely because...

... "dice" was also being used as a singular and had been since 1388 (predating the first attested use of "die", as noted above). The OED goes on to cite uses in the 15th, 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries. OED's citations stop there because the usage and spelling had standardized, but it continued throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, and (as demonstrated by Firefly, among others) persists in the 21st.


Well, then this is a great example of language changing over time. "The die is cast!"

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.