Subject: Terrifying Roar targeting confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
Hey,

So the Terrifying Roar target the basic action against the furthest survivor in range. What if there is no survivor in range? Sniff or just do nothing??

We had this come up yesterday when Terrifying Roar was the ONLY AI card left - not cool!! So our survivors keep suffering knockback 6 and braindamage which makes it IMPOSSIBLE to get to the lion unless it rolls a 1 on its roar...a bit boring way to die actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so a two things.

I never noticed the wording on the bottom. I'm guessing what happens is you perform the Basic Action, which does provide targeting of its own. If Terrifying Roar managed to give you a target, then skip the targeting portion of Basic Action.

As a side note, I'm wondering if it maybe should've said "furthest survivor in Field of View"? :shrug:

It's definitely really tough, but you probably shouldn't let him get stuck with this as his only card. If he does get stuck with this, you should have some ranged weapons and/or founding stones ready to stop him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Magnan
United States
St Paul Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have the rules with me but if I recall what they state, he would sniff. Even if not listed on the card, if the monster has no target for his action, it defaults to its instinct.

Check under "Instinct" in the rulebook. It should give you the answer you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike H
msg tools
If there was no survivor in range I would use the lions basic attack rules which would be closest survivor in view, that way the lion moves towards a survivor and actually gives that survivor a chance to wound the lion so you wouldn't get caught in an endless loop of knockbacks and brain damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
CowardlyHero wrote:
If there was no survivor in range I would use the lions basic attack rules which would be closest survivor in view, that way the lion moves towards a survivor and actually gives that survivor a chance to wound the lion so you wouldn't get caught in an endless loop of knockbacks and brain damage.

But the rules clearly state that when a card gives another target it REPLACES the target section.

I think it actually works fine. You need those extra movement gear for this situation. So it's really only the first fight that this might be a problem (but again, you could try to avoid the situation where it becomes the last card).

I think, by the rules sniffing is the best call (by glossary entry of instinct).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magikerendk wrote:

I think it actually works fine. You need those extra movement gear for this situation. So it's really only the first fight that this might be a problem (but again, you could try to avoid the situation where it becomes the last card).

lol, 'only the first fight'? I don't recall seeing any +movement gear aside from the Lantern and Phoenix boots. You don't exactly get that early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Ashaway
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
magikerendk wrote:
CowardlyHero wrote:

But the rules clearly state that when a card gives another target it REPLACES the target section.

I think, by the rules sniffing is the best call (by glossary entry of instinct).

I think it's more a case of learning the importance of ranged weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry to bump this old thread but I thought it was better than starting a new one. I was searching for this answer and don't think it was resolved here, but the FAQ now clarifies it.

"When an AI or Hit Location instructs the monster to perform Basic Action and provides a target, it supersedes the Pick Target section of the Basic Action card.
For example, the last section of the White Lion's Terrifying Roar is "Perform Basic Action, target the furthest threat in range." The monster targets the furthest survivor in range and performs its Basic Action on them. If there are no survivors in range, the monster does nothing"

However, I had a related targeting question on this card. It says:

Pick Target
- All non-deaf survivors.

Its roaring at everyone at once. But what if someone has priority target? Does its roar still effect everyone or just the priority target?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting in theory, but I THINK, since it is a pick target situation, the priority target overrides as usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
t3clis wrote:
This is interesting in theory, but I THINK, since it is a pick target situation, the priority target overrides as usual.

It doesn't make sense to me, and I would view him effecting other survivors as a form of 'splash damage' in his attack I guess in that even if directing at one it still scares the other survivors.

However, rules as written does appear to favour your interpretation.

Edit: And in addition to that, where it gets to the bottom and 'performs basic action targeting the furthest survivor in range' that target would change to the priority target?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that that basic action would also target the priority target, since the wording of the rule is pretty clear about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
strewart wrote:
Sorry to bump this old thread but I thought it was better than starting a new one. I was searching for this answer and don't think it was resolved here, but the FAQ now clarifies it.

"When an AI or Hit Location instructs the monster to perform Basic Action and provides a target, it supersedes the Pick Target section of the Basic Action card.
For example, the last section of the White Lion's Terrifying Roar is "Perform Basic Action, target the furthest threat in range." The monster targets the furthest survivor in range and performs its Basic Action on them. If there are no survivors in range, the monster does nothing"

However, I had a related targeting question on this card. It says:

Pick Target
- All non-deaf survivors.

Its roaring at everyone at once. But what if someone has priority target? Does its roar still effect everyone or just the priority target?

page 69
"The priority target token does not affect AI cards that pick multiple targets or all survivors, nor any targeting on monster AI cards outside of a Pick Target action"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I missed that one for multiple survivors. About the second, I have still a doubt tho. The basic action has a pick target, is it simply skipped by "target the farthest survivor in range" (so no priority target), out is it executed, but with a special target (so, priority applies?). I would say that it is the first case now, but I am not entirely convinced. That wording of priority target is meant to get reactions straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
t3clis wrote:
Oh, I missed that one for multiple survivors. About the second, I have still a doubt tho. The basic action has a pick target, is it simply skipped by "target the farthest survivor in range" (so no priority target), out is it executed, but with a special target (so, priority applies?). I would say that it is the first case now, but I am not entirely convinced. That wording of priority target is meant to get reactions straight.

I would say the usual targeting on the basic action is completely replaced, so you would ignore the priority token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.