Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Action cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz S
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
We have a question. When we can play our Action cards? In each time in game? Of course without cards, which we use as an action in round game. We have to declare them before game round? And if one player declare and use it then all players can play action cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lukasz
Each Action Card states when it can be played.

You definitely don't have to declare if you'll be playing an AC before the game round.

'Play as an action' ones replace your action for your turn. So instead of activating a hex and moving or playing your Strategy Card, you play one card with 'Play as an action' written on it, resolve it, and it is then the next player's turn.

If you're referring to those that potentially more than one player can play at the same time, e.g. 'During the Strategy Phase', 'At the start of a battle', then in theory it should be in player order, which means Initiative order in all phases bar the strategy phase, where it is clockwise from Speaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
zedzik88 wrote:
We have a question. When we can play our Action cards? In each time in game? Of course without cards, which we use as an action in round game. We have to declare them before game round? And if one player declare and use it then all players can play action cards?

Each action card says when it can be played. If it's played "as an action", then when you're called upon to do "Tactical, Strategic, or pass" you say you are playing an action card.

All players are asked to play action cards, but they have to be action cards that would be legal to play anyway. Instead of the rather baroque rulebook procedure I suggest the following:

You may play an Action Card in response to another player's Action Card if you are ahead in the order of play (clockwise from the Speaker if there are no Strategy Cards assigned); yours is resolved first. Yours might also be responded to by another player even further ahead in the order of play. If yours becomes impossible to resolve, it is returned to your hand, but if it can be resolved it must be even if the outcome is not what you originally anticipated.

This does much the same as the rulebook procedure (lets you play Repairs in response to Direct Hit) but is about ten times quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zedzik88 wrote:

One of the reason there is so much confusion about playing action card is the fact that if you play by rules it's pretty long and tedious process.
First you announce that you want to play action card (not specific, just want to play something.) Give people time to react. (So everyone get a chance to say they want to play one too). once we know who want to play cards and how many we can actually establish order their resolve in. And then we actually "play" - resolve them.
If you follow those rules - you never get actual problem with - "it's not clear if i can do my first or not" etc. But nobody i know ever plays that way. It's just too slow.

Everyone just go - hey i am playing this card on you and everyone else all of the sudden start figuring out if they want this and if they could have played something.

It is minor difference, but there should never be a situation when someone get to play card as part of normal response rule and know what they respond to
Action cards resolution is something I wish was greatly simplified in new edition if it's ever comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.