Subject: On currency rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Stillberg
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does a game set in the eastern parts Europe in the early 20:th century use dollars as its currency? Sort of broke my immersion while skimming the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The coins are from five different currencies, each representing a different one of the five factions. So you couldn't call them e.g. Zlotty, since that would only represent the Polania Republic faction's currency.

...I agree about using dollars is a bit weird, but I'm struggling to think of a good alternate. "Coins" feels weird because they're all different denominations, "Money" sounds utterly bizarre for e.g. "Spend two money.", etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stillberg
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I understand the reasoning, I'm just teasing the Americans a bit It's a tiny detail but I'm sure it could have been solved a bit more delicately. That said, there might be a reason in the lore for dollar being a universal currency as early as the 1920s. I'll have to check!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael nut
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's because Australia was the global power in the 20's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the states and I don't like the term dollars for this game, I don't like dollars used for any game that is not taking place in the correct country and time.
Nothing kills me more than watching a Rahdo run through of a fantasy game and he keeps calling the gold "bucks". gulp

Personally, I think "currency" or "coins" would have worked fine as terms in Scythe. After all, your working with different forms of currency so you have little choice but to refer to it as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steel Whisper
Netherlands
Weesp
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how the 10 cent coin is based on the old Dutch pre-Euro 10 cent coin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would have gone with 'Thalers', a widely used European currency of a slightly earlier era. (And the origin of the word dollar).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaler woild have worked, or 'schilling' which has been used variously in poland, germany, scandinavia and austria.

Or Crown.

Or Guinea.

Or just use the same money symbol used on the player boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asbjørn Lie Parmer
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's fine to use dollar, it being the modern equivalent of thaler. In the Scandinavian countries, they used "daler" until 1875. In Slovenia, the currency was called "tolar" until 2007, when they introduced the euro there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could of course be the currency of the now defunct Factory. Perhaps the Factory city-state was run by arms-dealing Americans (or Australians)?

Also, the $ sign represents both the peso and the dollar. Does the rule book specify the word "dollar"?

I would prefer to use "talar" though as that seems more in keeping with the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he should have called it Geek Gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StupidGabe wrote:
It could of course be the currency of the now defunct Factory. Perhaps the Factory city-state was run by arms-dealing Americans (or Australians)?

Also, the $ sign represents both the peso and the dollar. Does the rule book specify the word "dollar"?

Like the £ was also for the Lira alongside the pound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might not fit the theme, but what about the more generic "credit"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for just interpreting the $ as Schilling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really doesn't matter what they call money in any game for me, I will still end up saying "I'm paying 3 bucks for that brick", even if it's supposed to be Sestertii or whatever.

Edited to correct my memory of the money term used in Concordia. It's Sestertii, not Cesteris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gulp
Hahma wrote:
It really doesn't matter what they call money in any game for me, I will still end up saying "I'm paying 3 bucks for that brick", even if it's supposed to be cesteris or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To be fair, I do sonething similar, I say "1 money" no matter what currency is printed, because the denominations are almost always daft given what you are buying.

Very little military hardware can be purchased for one dollar.

One barrel of money, might be different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I can imagine if Dr Evil was there in the Alternate Scythe world he would hold them all to ransom for... Ttthhrreee Dooollaarrrss! <pinky to mouth>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
It really doesn't matter what they call money in any game for me, I will still end up saying "I'm paying 3 bucks for that brick", even if it's supposed to be cesteris or whatever.

I usually say "gold."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gong
United States
Kingsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
because "monetary denominations of a specific state or nation of a set time in a fantasy world with a twist on history" just didn't fit... laugh

I have no problem. We're driving around in STEAM MECHA -- immersion is not an issue for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coins.
Done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere, a gorilla is covered in nits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though it is spelled 'dollar', it is not pronounced the same as an American (or Canadian or Australian or Zimbabwe or Fiji). It is pronounced dou-lo͝or and is the currency of a small, now forgotten kingdom in Eastern Europa. It was chosen to represent all of the currency in Scythe because of proximity to the center of the map on the Scythe game board.

Edit: Because speling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion A
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an alternate history 1920s setting. Why couldn't the currency in that history time line be called "dollars" universally?

Just a thought. I'll call them "coins" out of habit from other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
Dofhjort wrote:
Why does a game set in the eastern parts Europe in the early 20:th century use dollars as its currency? Sort of broke my immersion while skimming the rules

cuz we won. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.