Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
QC
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 3 sets of Epic so I can build the cube. Sleeves are of course mandatory But what is everyone sleeving their cubes in? I normally sleeve all deck-type card games with KMC Hyper Mattes, but three sets of Epic with KS promos will take 6 packs @ $5/pack and that costs almost as much as the game itself! I don't think I need tournament-quality sleeves for Epic, but I don't want to go with Maydays - what is everyone else sleeving in? Bonus if I can get it cheap in Australia (I bulk import my KMCs). Considering Swan premiums which run a bit cheaper at $20 to sleeve the lot, but I'm thinking that might be too glossy/slippery and would rather stick to CCG sleeves if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went for Ultra Pro matte black for the cards, and Ultra Pro clear for the tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asbjørn Lie Parmer
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used translucent Arcane Tinmen sleeves - they are priced similarly to Swan premiums and work very well. In hindsight, opaque sleeves are probably better than translucent ones, as the card backs are not perfectly identical, but I am happy with the sleeves I've got. In my experience, "MTG-sized" Swan premiums are a smidge too tight for standard size CCG cards, so I would not recommend those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 6
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Shield Matte
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Shield-Matte-Protective-Sleeves...

1. Shuffling these is nearly a religious experience.
2. They're boarderline impossible to bust.

Worth every penny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Always Ultra Pro Deck Protector. While Dragon Shields are good in regards to thickness, they are often cut unequal at the top. Have a few of them too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
I went for Ultra Pro matte black for the cards, and Ultra Pro clear for the tokens

Maybe I should, too. Just cause I have tons of matte left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you said:

drifblim wrote:
I don't want to go with Maydays

buuuutttt...

Mayday Green Standards. I don't like premium sleeves, they take away some of the tactility I get with a good card game. Plus, I've only ever had to replace a handful of Mayday standards sleeves in my life, and my games see a lot of use. I'm not sure how people wear through them so quickly, but I've never had a problem. Plus they're cheap and fit pretty snug.

I totally understand people having preferences though. Hope you figure out a solution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hendershott
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am just using KMC perfect sleeves.

The cards are protected, and fit nicely in my cube box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QC
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jazzbjorn wrote:
the card backs are not perfectly identical

Huh, I didn't notice that. I like clear sleeves to see the card art, but in this case I might have to grab some opaque. I actually like KMC better than Dragon Shield and can get them cheaper, I hear Ultra Pro has gotten better lately though (I stopped using them several years ago)?

I have nothing against standard sleeves and use them in a lot of my board games, I just like premium sleeves for shuffling in card games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:

Same here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Qunell
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaxProtection Perfect Fit.

They are cheap and, as the name implies, they are a perfect fit so shuffling is easily done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon shield clear and my son is using FF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 6
mbmbmbmbmb
drifblim wrote:
I actually like KMC better than Dragon Shield

Have you seen the matte backed Dragon Shields? They've only been around a few months but were total game changers for me.

I'm 15 boxes in and have never once had a single issue with irregular sizing or a busted sleeve. And unlike the glossy backed Dragon Shields they're 100% opaque. And at least in the U.S., they're far more easy to get ahold of than KMC Hyper Mats.

Dragon Shield Matte > UltraPro Matte in every way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday "Almost-A-Penny" are working out fine. I have actually found more expensive sleeves break more easily...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QC
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
drifblim wrote:
I actually like KMC better than Dragon Shield

Have you seen the matte backed Dragon Shields? They've only been around a few months but were total game changers for me.

I'm 15 boxes in and have never once had a single issue with irregular sizing or a busted sleeve. And unlike the glossy backed Dragon Shields they're 100% opaque. And at least in the U.S., they're far more easy to get ahold of than KMC Hyper Mats.

Dragon Shield Matte > UltraPro Matte in every way.

I will try to get hold of some Dragon Shield Matte, haven't tried them yet! If there's a way to get them cheaper in bulk I'll be interested. My KMCs run me about $5/pack buying directly from Japan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.