Lawrence Wang
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Procurer of rare and exclusive titles.
badge
I'm blue daba dee daba die daba deeeeeee daba die
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard this game is notorious for being too hard. Asking around on forums, I think people say that they've only been able to beat the game about 10-15% of the time and it's usually by the skin of their teeth.

I personally want to try the game with my regular gaming group but I fear it won't go over so well due to the difficulty. They already complain about losing to Pandemic and as a result it hardly hits the table.

I'm looking for some sort of house rule to get the winning percentage up to about 30-40% without breaking the game. Any ideas before I introduce it to my group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy to decrease difficulty. There are 4 different difficulty modes included in the game. Plus from there just give everyone extra Qi or starting Tao tokens.

It's easy to make this game easy. I would recommend you DON'T though. Play it at normal to figure out strategy and make an eventual victory that much more satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to go that route: I'd recommend some promos :-)
If you replace the watchtower with the Guardhouse and replace nasty ghosts (repellent beauty, black widow, severed heads etc.) with the brothers ghosts, this makes the game challenging but still noticeably easier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Playing the official app allows for the selection of Taoist powers, and the arrangement of the board.

Selecting these two configurations, especially the villager tile layout, makes the game a lot easier. I found playing using this variant really helped soften the blow and allow me to learn the interaction of the mechanics without feeling like I was hammering my head against the wall. A dozen or so plays later I was ready to tackle the more difficult challenges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a thread that appeared just 3 days ago: make the game less brutal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
I heard this game is notorious for being too hard. Asking around on forums, I think people say that they've only been able to beat the game about 10-15% of the time and it's usually by the skin of their teeth.

I personally want to try the game with my regular gaming group but I fear it won't go over so well due to the difficulty. They already complain about losing to Pandemic and as a result it hardly hits the table.

I'm looking for some sort of house rule to get the winning percentage up to about 30-40% without breaking the game. Any ideas before I introduce it to my group?
First and foremost, may want to see if you can get this thread moved to the Variants section.
I Assume you were playing Pandemic at easy/initiate level (with 4 Epidemics), and you'll playing this at the initiate (easiest level with 4th Qi token, Yin Yang token, and black Tao Token)?

I would recommend trying to play it as is. If fun's more important than that, then I'd go with...
-letting players use powers of both sides at once, or be able to choose either one at will.
-one freebie kill if unsuccessful roll*
-one freebie wild result*
-use the incorrectly interpreted rules that 3 haunted Village tiles in a row is what'll kill you, OR any 4.
-remove 15 ghost (cards) from the deck, in effect, making that part like the 1p game.

* in some of my own games, I'll play on as if the roll were successful just to see how much further I would've gotten. I've already painstakingly set up the game and played through it for 1.5 hours. May as well go on vs. putting it away right there and then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
I think that's exaggerated. In my experience the win ratio is actually at 30-40% already (using the Easy configuration only).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.