Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through many of my session reports, I mention that I do not explain games well and usually read the rules to my wife before we play a new game. Well, I should have done that with our game of Mykerinos.

I purchased this a while back and had read the rules through a couple of times when it was new. I had explained the game to my wife at that time. I went through the rules and explained it to her again, she kept saying "We've played the before." I guess I explained it well enough before to make her think we had already played. Anyway, during my explanation I had set up 12 parcels of land to demonstrate some of the cube placement and patron powers. In our haste to play, I failed to remove four of the parcels. So in the first season, we played with 12. I noticed about halfway through that we were running short of cubes. I looked over the rules and saw the mistake. My wife groaned, I don't think she fully grasped what we were doing. So, we both agreed to play the fourth season first. Oops!

Through the game we also played two of the Patrons' powers wrong. With Lord Lemon, we played that you could only play on a pyramid, but couldn't extend to or from it. With Sir Brown, we played that the cubes came from the general supply not the personal supply. Not that it mattered. Since we had played the biggest field first, cube maintenance wasn't a problem. I caught the Lord Lemon mistake in either the third or fourth season. Oops! Oops!

Finally, I am sure we played the passing rule all wrong. I still don't quite understand it. Here is how we played: the first player to pass places their marker on the passing lane. The second player then essentially goes twice - prior to the first player and then after the first player. Then their marker was added to the passing lane. So, essentially, they got to move twice in a row (seems very powerful), and get to go first during the next excavation round because they passed last. Here is how I understand it now after a reread of the rules and browsing here on the Geek (this is for a 2p game):

* The first player to pass places his passing marker on the track
* The second player has the option to play or pass.
* By playing, the second player forfeits his opportunity to go first in the next round (he, didn't pass, he doesn't go first).
* Ties are still resolved in the same manner: First player, Neutral Player, Second Player

I think the opportunity to go two times in a row is still powerful. Please let me know, if something in my interpretation is wrong.

At least we played consistently. shake In the end, the score was 50 for me, 47 for she. With the blunders discovered in game (added a top the blunders found after the game), coupled with the fact that my wife realized that she could have moved into the museum at the end to score more than 3 points to win, she said we have to play it again. I also learned a valuable lesson – have her read the rules and explain the game to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
YellowLab wrote:
Finally, I am sure we played the passing rule all wrong. I still don't quite understand it. Here is how we played: the first player to pass places their marker on the passing lane. The second player then essentially goes twice - prior to the first player and then after the first player.

No. He has one more turn after the first player has passed (as per the rules). Then there the board is scored, cleared, and renewed. Since he went last (obviously) he obtains the first player marker and begins the new round. Beginning in this game is a disadvantage: other players can react to your moves.

Quote:
* The first player to pass places his passing marker on the track

Check.

Quote:
* The second player has the option to play or pass.

Check.

Quote:
* By playing, the second player forfeits his opportunity to go first in the next round (he, didn't pass, he doesn't go first).

No, because after playing, it is his turn again, but as per the rules he now must pass---you can be the only 'active' player in the game for a single round.

Quote:
* Ties are still resolved in the same manner: First player, Neutral Player, Second Player

Check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.