Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I finally got to break out AH. I have been wanting to play it for weeks now, but I had to play by myself. I got the whole game set up and I drew the Bob Jenkins, the Salesman as my character. He started at the general store with an Axe, dynamite, an Elder sign, and the nameless cults unique item. The skill that I got was stealth. I then picked yig as my ancient one because the rules say it will be a shorter game that way.

During the initial Mythos phase I drew the Black cave as the place to open a gate. The creature I drew was a zombie. So I decided to set my sneak fairly high and move to the Black Cave to close the gate. I got to roll 6 dice (3 for my sneak and +3 for the zombie) and I got several successes so I evaded the zombie and moved to the black cave where I was sucked into Yuggoth's gate. My enounter was just to lose 1 sanity point. On that turn I drew another card that had the black cave as the gate point. So I drew a creature. It was a Cultist. On the next turn I moved to the second part of the other world and had to roll a strength check and failed. I lost 2 stamina I think. Then at the end of that turn I drew another Black Cave Gate! (I swear I shuffled these cards well) So I came out of the gate closed it and won the game on that turn.

What a crazy game. I hated how short the game was. Of course, I know that odds of this happening again are slim it was very disappointing for my first play. On the other hand, I liked how quick I got done and learned a lot about the game by playing those two turns. I can't wait until I get to try this with my gaming group. I'll probably play it a few more times solo, just to work out the kinks and so I'll understand the rules fully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Urban
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: My first play of AH, solo play: won the game on turn 2
It is not that easy every time... I promise!

To date the people I have played with have never beat the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Escanaba
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And after closing just one gate you won the game how? Either I'm missing something or your narrative missed something. Hmmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Ali de Oliveira Bueno
Brazil
Campinas
São Paulo
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you were incredible luck... One of the three winning conditions.
You close the last gate on the board and have number of gates trophies equal to number of players, you win. So one player, one gate.
Indeed, the Black Cave is the place with more probabilities of an oppening gate, but three in a row at the beggining of the game. Not to mention the Elder Sign.
My group has a rating of 70% winning this game, a lot better than Shadows Over Camelot, and no game last less than four hours (please, remember that we have a slowering issue, english is not our native language, so time to resolve encounters increase a lot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McMurray
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel guilty - you could have been even luckier laugh

There are a few other world encounters where you are allowed to immediately return to Arkham which DOES qualify your investigator to receive the "explored" token.

I guess by my count you actually won on turn #3 but if your first other world encounter had allowed you to immediately return then you would have won on turn 2.

Actually, it couldn't have worked out better for you as it sounds like you played solo to learn the mechanics of the game before you introduce it to your broader gaming group. Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Hoppe
Germany
Braunschweig / City of Lions
flag msg tools
mbmb
You've been really lucky man ;-)
Nice report. I mostly play this 3 player. We never lost this game and always win with the "6 seals on the board" winning condition. I fear that the game is to simple for us. From the moment when there are some seals are on the board and mythos cards showing these locations keep coming up, it's not very hard to win. Sure you need a good combination of investigators. Maybe we were just lucky too. But we think about using the house rule where you draw two mythos cards every other turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
Islay wrote:

I guess by my count you actually won on turn #3 but if your first other world encounter had allowed you to immediately return then you would have won on turn 2.

Actually, it couldn't have worked out better for you as it sounds like you played solo to learn the mechanics of the game before you introduce it to your broader gaming game. Good job!

[Edit] You're right, it was turn 3. Anyway, you are also right about this helping me to learn the mechanics. It is a fun game, but it takes some practice to get the turn order and other mechanics down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely the way you describe would mean it was turn 3.

Turn 1 - Evade Zombie, enter gate, Other World encounter

Turn 2 - 2nd step of other world, encounter

Turn 3 - Return to Arkham, close gate, win game

Not that 3 turns is slow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
AH is one of those games that can go smoothly, but one turn can really knock a character out of the running if a few bad things happen in a row. i've won many and lost a few, but most of the fun is the ride through the game. All in all, however, it is possible to easily lose - you just don't always bump into that situation every game. There are also harder variants in the expansions.

Since it was solo, maybe you should have redrawn when you got the third Black Cave to extend the game length?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hutcheon
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oh boy, that monkey is going to pay.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really recommend not using one character when you're soloing the game. The minimum should really be 2, with you controlling both. This also really helps to alleviate the situation that happened to you, as you would need at least 2 closed gates before you could win, and the chances of a 3rd gate not opening before you've closed 2 is really slim indeed. I do find that the game is more difficult with fewer players, though. If you hit a bad rumor or a monster that you can't deal with, things can go wrong in a hurry. As for the "All gates closed and trophies = to number of players" win, I have never had that happen in the roughly 20 games I've played. We always win by sealing 6 gates, though we only win about 75% of the time (Dunwich Horror has lowered our percentage considerably).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You were very lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.