1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: gwek's projects - what would you like to see? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're in the Variants forum, you're probably familiar with my name, as well as my desire to throw as much stuff as possible against the wall to see what sticks!

A PM conversation with a fellow board member got me thinking about a few things:

1) With Kalidasa released, GF9 has stated that they will continue to support Firefly with new products, but they may slow down.

2) My original pet project, Aces & Eights, is finally nearing completion. Honestly, it's taken far too long, but there should be an official final version in the foreseeable future.

3) I have a TON of other ideas!

So, with the intention of keeping you guys rolling in potential new material in the lulls between official releases, I wanted to ask -- what are you most interested in seeing? I do this stuff because I love it, but I also thrive on community feedback, and hope that folks enjoy (and use!) some of what I'm doing, so I'm curious to see if there are patterns of where people would like to see things go.

Here is a list of some possible ideas and projects (not in any real order):

SHIP PACKS

My ship packs are different from the official CoachWorks ship packs, typically coming with a new ship and a total of 12 cards, including an associated Leader and Crew, Wanted Cards, and other supplies.

Right now, White Lightning is close to complete, and I've fiddled with other RPG-inspired ships (notably the CanTankerous and Huntingdon's Bolt).

Additionally, I have ideas for projects from stories that feel Firefly-esque to me, such as the crew of the Betty (from Alien: Resurrection) and the characters from Killjoys and Dark Matter.

One final direction is fictional crews. I've dabbled with this with the crew of the Jolly Rajah, and with leaders like Doc Steele and China Malone, but there's a lot of potential to explore.

So, do you like these ship packs? If so, do you have a preference for where the material comes from?

LOCAL COLOR 2.0

I may be deluding myself, but I feel like Local Color has been one of the most well-received customs since the game came out. However, it's been quite some time (relatively speaking) since Local Color was made available, and more than once I've been asked if there are any plans to update it to include Blue Sun and Kalidasa (and perhaps include PBH better).

If I revisit it, though, it would probably involve taking a look at it from the ground up. So... leave it alone or poke the bear?

THE BLACK MARKET

The idea for this may be my most ambitious virtual expansion. I want to introduce a new Contact (with mostly unsavory jobs) and a new Supply Deck (made up of mostly unsavory types). These deck would be accessed through "the Black Market," which can be accessed (under the right circumstances) from multiple locations.

The expansion might include a smattering of new supplies and jobs for existing decks, and would be focused on bounty hunters and lawmen as well as criminals of there really unsavory type.

THEY'VE ALL GOT STORIES

This is one that I keep coming back to - a deck of random travelers you can pick up to supplement income and even your crew. These are not full-fledged Transport Jobs, but more like an alternative to Make-Work. The kicker is that most travelers have some unique ability (albeit typically very limited in scope) so you might find them worth keeping around.

THE OPERATIVE - A CONTACT DECK

While speculating about Kalidasa, I was among the folks who mistakenly speculated that The Operative would be a contact in the expansion. That got me thinking -- what would he look like? I envision a deck of well-paying Legal Jobs that require skill tests and other obstacles to make them balanced. Some (if not most) would be "Black Ops," where they are TECHNICALLY Legal, but if you fail, you'll gain a Warrant and The Operative will disavow all knowledge of you... and likely begin to hunt for you. Being The Operative's lackey is a dangerous life...

CAMPAIGN GUIDE

This is, potentially, a bunch of related ideas, any of which could be broken off on their own, including:

* Leader disadvantages - From owing money to Niska to being a thug who prefers Fighting to Talking, this would be a deck of random "handicaps" that would round our your leader's personality and direct you toward certain strategies. Perfect for advanced players.

* Crew backgrounds and relationships - For me, a lot of the fun of a game of Firefly is imagining what my Crew is like between jobs. Will The Patron take that young Gun Hand under his wing, or is he too busy fighting about morality with Elder Gommen? Sure, Jesse and Billy have a history, but what will happen now that Tracey has his eye on her? Maybe the Scrapper you hired is secretly a prodigy, or perhaps Jayne has seen the error or his ways, or maybe Simon's time in the Black has given him a more mercenary bend to protect himself... Again, this would be a deck of traits and relationships that you could add to your crew to deepen game play.

* Campaign play - guidelines for playing from game to game with the same resources. This is easiest with solo play, but I'd love to figure out how to get it to work for multiplayer too. (Note that, unlike a lot of folks, I'm not necessarily looking for a way to extend the game indefinitely, but rather a way to progress across a larger arc via multiple story cards tied together).

NPC SHIPS

Stemming from the same sources as the Campaign Guide, this would be a way to bring fully fledged... or at least partially fledged... piracy and bounty hunting to solo or non-combative games. Likely, at least one (if not more options for) Bounty Hunter, Pirate, and Merchant. I know many people have tried this, and I think a lot of the ideas are great... but I've yet to see one that feels like a totally comfortable add-on to the existing game. Most are geared to work with other house rules that are in place.

So, there you have it. Some of the major stuff I'd like to fiddle with over the next few months, or perhaps years! What do you like? What do you not like? What would you use in your own games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I have always been the most excited for The Black Market for a couple of reasons. First, the exploration of the darker side of Verse has led down some pretty cool roads so far, and I'm interested to see where it ends. Second, I'm honestly not too excited about adding new cards to the existing decks both from fear of dilution (which is already a problem) and worries that the custom cards will not blend in well with the originals due to ink, size, or thickness differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Carl. You may be happy (or disturbed) to know that one of the things I've taken a very, very tentative stab is is trying to understand how jobs go together. Is there a base payout for Smuggling or Crime, how much does a Misbehave add, etc? I probably need an advanced degree in Mathematics to do it, but I'm trying...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Things that interest me most from that list are campaign play (linking games without falling foul of positive feedback effects), and NPC ships. I'm interested in new ships, but not so much in new crews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Things that interest my group the most are Local Color V2 and Campaign play. In terms of the later, this is one area I've shared in my discussions with GF9. Not saying it will happen, but if it does your time may be better spent elsewhere. My two cents...

Keep Flyin cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I have never made my own content but I once made notes that I thought I could share in case it inspires you to create something. These notes are from space race, an episode from Stargate SG-1 (s07e08):

The story of the episode, a space race without rules called Loop of Kon Garat, could be used to create a story card or some kind of mission involving 2+ players, winner gets a lucrative contract with Tech Cons Deep Space Exploration Project.

Thematically all the ships in the race are small but fast and equipped with ship upgrades. the captains back stories could also give an idea of what kind of ships they would fly when not in the race.

Warrick Finn
race: Serrakin
brother: Eamon Finn (maybe tech crew)
Commentary: have done work transporting convicts
captain of ship: Sebrus, Ion drive
moral
no fight

Major Samantha Carter
moral
mostly tech
mechanic

Golan Jarlath tough moustache guy
captain of ship: The Oran
Commentary: caught running illegal weapons to the outer mining colonies, paroled from prison, crazier then you think.
Quote by himself: never was much of a pilot, but weapons, it's an art

La'el Montrose short haired girl
Commentary: independent cargo runner from the parallel colonies, her ship is very fast.

Muirios crazy smile guy
Commentary: his skill as a pilot is legendary, you'll get clobbered in the navigation phase without a long range control unit.

Scanner control unit, reconditioned unit, should work fine

Taupen spare part sales guy

Coyle Boron race expert and two time champion of the loop

Advert: the gaming experts agree, you can wager on the outcome of the loop of congerat at any of tech-con groups friendly gaming kiosks convientiently located troughout urban centers near you. Tech Con Gaming Kiosks, if you don't play, you definitely won't win!

Captain Shibo of the Tritan.

Advert: if you have a loved one who's close to death don't delay contact Tech-Con Group Funeral Services today and make your loved ones fare well memorable beyond words. Tech Con Group Funeral Services, helping you make peace with death.

coronaspheric shielding ship upgrade

Advert: Radon Shield 55, new from Tech Con Cosmetics. Radon Shield 55 protects you and your whole family from the intense radiation of the sun
day in, day out, radon shield 55, keeps your fun factor up and you lesion count down. Available at quality Tech Con Family Outlets everywhere.

Advert: Ion Pro. A new engine additive from Tech Con Propulsion Systems. Ion Pro is guaranteed to improve drive performance no matter what class ship you fly, weither you are competing in the loop of Kon Garat or just taking the kids to school, use Ion Pro in your power source. Ion Pro from Tech Con Propulsion Systems. Your system wide experts in ion drive technology.

Del Tynan evil "human race is being oppressed by serrakin"-conspiracy theorist

Advert: Booking at Corsos Temporal Eatery, where your whole family can eat what they want, when they want. Part of the Tech Con Family Group of restaurants.

Update: corrected spelling of names

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, folks!

Ashitaka wrote:
Things that interest my group the most are Local Color V2 and Campaign play. In terms of the later, this is one area I've shared in my discussions with GF9. Not saying it will happen, but if it does your time may be better spent elsewhere. My two cents...

Keep Flyin cool

Bob, in your conversations with GF9, did they respond in any way to indicate that campaign play might be coming?

(For the record, I've noted elsewhere that, in my mind, campaign play, enhanced solo play, and cooperative play seem the most likely candidates for new official mechanics, perhaps in a product on par with PBH).

Roger and Bob - You guys both mentioned campaign play. Is it primarily the idea of tying stories together that interests you? Would you like a flexible system, or something that has a set "story arc"? Or both? How do YOU define favorable campaign play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Thanks, folks!

Bob, in your conversations with GF9, did they respond in any way to indicate that campaign play might be coming?

(For the record, I've noted elsewhere that, in my mind, campaign play, enhanced solo play, and cooperative play seem the most likely candidates for new official mechanics, perhaps in a product on par with PBH).

Roger and Bob - You guys both mentioned campaign play. Is it primarily the idea of tying stories together that interests you? Would you like a flexible system, or something that has a set "story arc"? Or both? How do YOU define favorable campaign play?

George, they have not shared specifics either way. I suspect they are keeping all of their options open at this point.

Campaign and Cooperative are prime areas for new mechanics. Both would be welcome additions.

Perhaps enhanced solo play could be included as a campaign option in addition to multi-player? To answer your campaign question, I think both apply. One of the challenges posed by campaigns is what is the overall goal or desired outcome? How do you progress from one arc to the next? I think favorable includes starting the next game with everything you had when the previous game ended. But this too poses some challenges when someone falls behind in a multi-player campaign. Do they have a reasonable chance to recover and compete? If not they may not continue the campaign...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mudd Grizzly

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd love to see some campaign play. I'd also love to see fresh solo stories, ways to play co-op, and ways to play 2 vs 2 team games. I'd also really like some kind of simultaneous solo play variant, where there is no strict limit on the number of players that win or lose.

In terms of adding to the world, I'd love to see more stuff from the comic books. Daniel Leftwich posted some cool stuff along those lines back in April. Flavor-wise I think he really hit the mark, but they could probably use a little tweaking mechanically, especially in light of Kalidasa having come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Games Afoot
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
George,

I am most interested in campaign play, NPC ships (for solo play), and They've all Got Stories.

T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, folks! Keep it coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

THE OPERATIVE - A CONTACT DECK

While speculating about Kalidasa, I was among the folks who mistakenly speculated that The Operative would be a contact in the expansion. That got me thinking -- what would he look like? I envision a deck of well-paying Legal Jobs that require skill tests and other obstacles to make them balanced. Some (if not most) would be "Black Ops," where they are TECHNICALLY Legal, but if you fail, you'll gain a Warrant and The Operative will disavow all knowledge of you... and likely begin to hunt for you. Being The Operative's lackey is a dangerous life...

I've been working on an Alliance Player for a while now.

The idea behind it was for those of us who just love playing the game so much that we (myself included) tend to forget the objective of the Story Card!shake

The Operative could be included in an "Alliance Command" deck...? Similar but separate from Harken? Perhaps include the Black Ops as you suggest. I'm going to keep working on this little project and occasionally show it for folk to throw stones at.

You keep up your great work George.

See you over in https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1447028/kalidasa-idea-o...

DaveR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dave, I don't think you've updated your project publicly for quite some time, have you? Any edits post-Kalidasa? If I recall correctly, a decent amount of yours included laying down Alliance Alerts, no? Definitely an interesting angle to explore.

I do like the "Operative in the supply decks" idea. Honestly, if I move ahead with The Operative in any significant way, my final deck would probably be the Contact deck + the encounters. Mix and match as desired!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tinkered with a campaign/story link system, so that is the 1st on my list, black market and ships come next, then the rest of it in any order you choose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barton

Michigan
msg tools
In order of preference

1. They've all got stories

2. Black Market

3. Ship Packs

4. Local Color v2 (this is totally my favorite so far. Its been very popular with most people I've played with.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cooley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really looking forward to Aces and Eights, because I think that will nicely extend the existing game without disrupting it. (More crew - yay! Differentiated Fireflies - double yay!)

I like the idea of Ship Packs, giving the players meaningful choices right at the beginning of the game.

I haven't bought Local Color from Artscow, but I have surely been tempted. If you were to spend time on this, I'd like to see more cards (for more variety in play) rather than a complete re-work.

I think that They've All Got Stories could really bring the game closer to the show. (If Kaylee hadn't brought Simon on board, the whole saga would have been different!) Again, this needs to be a nice thick deck so that we don't see the same cards too often.

For my part, I'm not interested in the The Black Market, The Operative, the Campaign Guide, or NPC ships, but others mileage may vary, and it's very possible I have failed to see the potential these expansions offer.

That's my two credits.

Keep Flyin'

---------
*|\___/|* Chuck Cooley
*{.O^O.}*
*.\:|:/.* Westminster CO
*..o_o..*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Dave, I don't think you've updated your project publicly for quite some time, have you? Any edits post-Kalidasa? If I recall correctly, a decent amount of yours included laying down Alliance Alerts, no? Definitely an interesting angle to explore.

True, not publicly. As bought Kalidasa TODAY! will dust off what have done so far and see if it needs
twiddleing with.

gwek wrote:
I do like the "Operative in the supply decks" idea. Honestly, if I move ahead with The Operative in any significant way, my final deck would probably be the Contact deck + the encounters. Mix and match as desired!

A sort of crew/misbehave format perhaps?

Its 22:58 BST (GMT +1, daylight saving that is) so I think I might hit the sack.

DaveR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

My fuzzy vision of a campaign system lets one or more players maintain some degree of state from one game to another. As in the TV series, you go into one "episode" (story card) with basically what you had at the end of the previous one. Obviously you don't want to have a fully-equipped crew up against a standard story card, because that game won't last very long, but what form the solution to this might take I don't yet know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once again, thanks, folks! The feedback is really appreciated!

So far, what I'm taking from the overall feedback is that no matter what I do next, someone's probably going to be interested, and someone's going to be bored by it.

With respect to the campaign stuff, is anyone interested in the things that I think of as "deepening" rather than "broadening" -- like disadvantages for leaders or relationships for crew?

Roger - with respect to campaign consistency, I think there are some fairly easy things to do with Crew, but it gets much more complicated if you try to factor in Gear, Upgrades, Solids, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
If you're in the Variants forum, you're probably familiar with my name, as well as my desire to throw as much stuff as possible against the wall to see what sticks!

I hope you're going to clean that up when you're done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them add really good options to the game, so I'd be happy to see them all eventually. My preferences are:

1. THE OPERATIVE - A CONTACT DECK - This would be really cool!

2. LOCAL COLOR 2.0 - Haven't used it myself, but it has been used in one PBF game and it was well received so definitely has a future in PBF as well as around the table games that I'll be running.

3. THE BLACK MARKET - yes I know this will add 2 more decks to an already deck rich game, but what the Hell it's a really cool idea and I'd also use it in PBF as well as around the table games that I'll be running.

4. THEY'VE ALL GOT STORIES - at number 4 because it would be a nice addition to any PBF games and, you guessed it, I'd also use it.

5. SHIP PACKS - Not at number 5 because I like this less than my first 4 picks, but because we already have 9 ships to choose from and unless we have a 10 player game we're not short on ships. But new ships are always cool and I'd love to see more! At the risk of being ridiculed I would like to see a version of the original USS Enterprise with Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, Checkov, and perhaps a few other Enterprise Crew

6. CAMPAIGN GUIDE and NPC SHIPS - These are nice to try customs which I'd get around to one day, but when that day comes would be some time off. I'm sure I'd enjoy them, but it's a matter of what I'd like to see before these which I'd be able to use sooner and pretty much in any kind of game I'd run which isn't a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Terrell
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
"They've all got stories"

While it all sounds interesting, this one grabs my attention the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Balzer
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 favorites are:

1) Local Color 2.0

2) Black Market

And of course for all of your ideas I need some templates (of all card types) for PS or better GIMP, that I can translate the cards into a German version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

I've gone through the Jobs I put together and am ready to post typed versions of them. I have images but didn't want to flood you all with a load of images. As I was typing them up I altered them slightly... (remind you of anyone?)

Should these go in a separate thread or do you have a link back to where we discussed the Alliance Player?

Kalidasa still mulled over. I know we are in need of new Bounty Cards at least.

DaveR

BTW Can't resist bursting into "The Hero of Canton" whenever I see the Busker!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dave, I think you discussed some of your stuff here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19154889#19154889

and here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/18283197#18283197

BTW, I was thinking some of the dynamics of what you're doing with Alert tokens, and I could envision whole new job types: Consider, say, "Investigation" -- which is basically a Legal Task, but you leave an Alliance Alert Token behind. Or even something where you pick up an Alert token then "deliver" it to another sector.

I imagine the same could be done with Reavers, but I'm having trouble getting my head around what that would represent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.