Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my 4th time playing Battlelore and I was playing it with a noob, so we played the first scenario. I was the english and Kendall was the french. Things started out rough for Kendall because on the first two turns he charged his Cav units at my archers. I had explained to him bold and battle back, but he felt the way to defeat my archers was to charge them. He was wrong! Most of the archers got shots at his Cavalry twice as I had a green banners card, and an attack with 3 in the center card. I postioned my troops in such a way that most of them were bold and the three archer units on either flank were in the woods. I rolled a double red on my second turn and killed his first Cav unit. Me 1-0.On the third turn I killed his second red cav unit. Me 2-0

At this point, kendall was hurting pretty badly. So he took my advice, formed up all his troops to make them bold and began marching toward me. He was finally able to get close to me after a few turns, but by then my archers had killed another unit leaving me one away from victory. Me 3-0. However once kendall closed the gap my archers began to fall like flies. He killed two archer units on 1 turn. Me 3-2. However, the archers had done their damage and I killed his last cav unit to secure the win.

In this game, Kendall drew both of the darken the sky cards, which I would have like to have gotten for my archers. I think that this scenario is definetely weighted to the favor of the french, however my friends poor playing coupled with my great rolling gave the english the victory. If I had pulled a darken the skies card it could have been really ugly.

Even though the french have the advantage in this scenario, the 2 command card edge that the English have is certainly nice. The problem is that the archers are just too weak. They can pick off a nice number of troops, but once they are engaged it is lights out for them. Of course, I think this is great and very accurate to medieval warfare. All hail the King of England!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game via vassal last night...I took the french. I drew the Mounted Charge (or something like that) right off, so I played it on my first turn. That enabled me to get my Cav right up close and personal. With some good rolls (lots of flags for follow up attacks), and some good luck with dodging the few arrow shots he got, I scored an easy victory.

We discussed how the rules don't let the archers fire over other units, and how that would have made a big difference.

Overall, I like the game. I bought it last week, but haven't had the time for much other than a quick readthrough of the rules (thank WoW for that one hehehe).

I'm going to play the first scenario over again this weekend, and will hopefully have time for one or two of the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.