Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: lets make some underpowered ships worth it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Hare
msg tools
Ok. Nobody doubts Kor6 has given the Somraw a second life. There is a lot of interest in players revisiting the Equinox with all the shield buffing that the Delta Flier expansion brought. How about we see if we can get some of the other old, generally useless ships to hit the table.

Remember, these arent intended to be you main ship, so Picard9 and other top cards aren't really desirable in these builds.

Some in this list:
USS Enterprise
USS Reliant
USS Enterprise Refit
G'roth
Kronos One
B'moth?
Koraga
IKS Neghvar
3rd wing
4th division
5th wing
Rav laerst
Gor portas


Any thoughts? A lot of these are solid bases that could have potential

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that is the USS Enterprise refit? The ToS one is already amazingly powerful when paired with the right upgrades and captain (Janeway anyone?).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Ender02 wrote:
I'm guessing that is the USS Enterprise refit? The ToS one is already amazingly powerful when paired with the right upgrades and captain (Janeway anyone?).


I included both. The TOS Enterprise seems designed for Janeway. But for a long time it didn't see use bexause of only a 3PAV. Now, it can be revisited for some more impressive results.

22 USS Enterprise
5 Janeway
3 Valtane
2 Systems Upgrade (as a crew)
2 Type 8 Phaser
34SP
4/1/4/4 stats with 2 scan tokens to make the 4PAV count and a 2die reroll. It would be superior to trying to pu5 Janeway on the Sutherland. Only downside is not converting BS. I don't want to include Spock as he is probably used as a captain elsewhere.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In fairness you could add most named Klingon ships to that list, an extra shield h never really been a big deal to a ship that spends most of its time cloaked so it usually comes down to whether you want to spend 2pts on the named ability or not.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone use the IKS Maht'ha as anything other than a generic vorcha for example because the named ability is terrible, the same goes for the Kronos 1, B'moth and Negh'var, the generic versions are popular because they save you points over the named version which adds very little for its cost.

The Koraga has a good named ability, I've seen it used quite a lot, although the Pagh is arguably better, the Ch'tang and Ning'tao have strong text abilities and so does the T'Ong, but other than that you very rarely see any named Klingon ships.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Odd, my local experience is the opposite. We actually think the Koraga's ship text is meh and the Maht-H'a's text is great. Gaining a single crapshoot defense die that relies on cloak being engaged is much less effective than reducing a usually well modified attack die. Even better is against Federation's DPA that didn't have a range 1 bonus in the first place.

The Maht-H'a with Kerla as a crew was a staple for a long time in my meta. So it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't be in others.

Anyway, the list was knowingly incomplete. Has anyone else been creating builds that used previously obsolete classes? The Somraw's resurgence was astounding and has me looking for other goofy unexpected designs
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One that I've been thinking about is the Aj'rmr. The fact that its reroll ability applies to every attack from a Disruptor Pulse might give one a reason to finally use it. (The Khazara's +1 is great too, but it's pretty action intensive.)

Now that most of the weaker-ish Federation ships have a pretty standard upgrade path, I guess the big question is whether there's some reason to bring them instead of an Excelsior-class or whatever.
The Janewayprise remains a promising example, but there have really been a lot of other interesting options for Aux stacking since wave 4. For example, Worf 4 from the Ning'Tao gains an easy +2 defense, and The Doctor can ramp up his skill with impunity (assuming he lives long enough).
The new torpedoes do also slightly benefit those guys (especially Aft launcher on the Connies and Time Torpedoes on the Reliant), but I doubt that this would bring them back on its own.

The 4th division battleship has been great ever since fleet captains, and will remain great now that Q is available.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
Odd, my local experience is the opposite. We actually think the Koraga's ship text is meh and the Maht-H'a's text is great. Gaining a single crapshoot defense die that relies on cloak being engaged is much less effective than reducing a usually well modified attack die. Even better is against Federation's DPA that didn't have a range 1 bonus in the first place.

The Maht-H'a with Kerla as a crew was a staple for a long time in my meta. So it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't be in others.

Anyway, the list was knowingly incomplete. Has anyone else been creating builds that used previously obsolete classes? The Somraw's resurgence was astounding and has me looking for other goofy unexpected designs


I think the point is the Koraga's ability can be used every turn, against every attack fired at the ship, the Maht'ha's bonus might be objectively better in a vacuum, but it is highly situational, being limited to a single range band (whereas the Koraga's ability works consistently regardless of range).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Spiney_Norman wrote:
Church14 wrote:
Odd, my local experience is the opposite. We actually think the Koraga's ship text is meh and the Maht-H'a's text is great. Gaining a single crapshoot defense die that relies on cloak being engaged is much less effective than reducing a usually well modified attack die. Even better is against Federation's DPA that didn't have a range 1 bonus in the first place.

The Maht-H'a with Kerla as a crew was a staple for a long time in my meta. So it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't be in others.

Anyway, the list was knowingly incomplete. Has anyone else been creating builds that used previously obsolete classes? The Somraw's resurgence was astounding and has me looking for other goofy unexpected designs


I think the point is the Koraga's ability can be used every turn, against every attack fired at the ship, the Maht'ha's bonus might be objectively better in a vacuum, but it is highly situational, being limited to a single range band (whereas the Koraga's ability works consistently regardless of range).


I'm bad at getting my intent across in a text format. I was more just sort of a musing on different local metas. I see legitimacy to both arguments.

So, lets write off updating the Fed ships as the extra shields and type8/upgraded phasers makes it too easy.

Alright, so Klingons have SomKor to allow all the Brels to live. So, what has Dominion gotten to keep those Breen and JH attack fighters on the table?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Stanley
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love the Miranda class star ship also the iconic image from "sacrifice of angles" with the defiant and spent a little time trying to build in my mind the "line breaker" squadron that the 3 ships created

I added a "runabout" to the squadron for aoe
Still working on the defiant load out but I have 24 points to play with :-)

U.S.S. Defiant (24)
Federation (0)
Total (24)

U.S.S. Reliant (20)
Will Decker (2)
Photon Torpedoes (4)
Total (26)

Miranda Class (18)
Ronald Moore (1)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Total (24)

Delta Flyer Class Shuttlecraft (18)
Clark Terell (1)
Hayes (3)
Total (22)

Fleet total: 96

Generated by Space Dock for Android
http://spacedockapp.org

No shield enhancers as of yet but Moore was actually a what if moment also no op - I have access to most but I hesitate to use em
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ting
Australia
flag msg tools
Church14 wrote:

So, lets write off updating the Fed ships as the extra shields and type8/upgraded phasers makes it too easy.


Yup. I was surprised to see Reliant on the list, I've been enjoying:

USS Reliant
The Doctor
Type 8 Phasers

23pts for 5 die at range 1, potentially at CS 10. Also works with Admiral Worf for 5 die during activation phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
wedge772 wrote:
Yup. I was surprised to see Reliant on the list, I've been enjoying:


I guess I just haven't seen any players use the small Fed ships in local OPs. It is always Voyager, sovereigns, and the Prometheus.

As for the dominion side:
3rd Wing
Gul Macet
Remat'Iklan
Shroud
30SP

Discard, disable, take aux and throw +4 attack dice. Still haven't used an action. It has worked for me for high intensity fleets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:

I'm bad at getting my intent across in a text format. I was more just sort of a musing on different local metas. I see legitimacy to both arguments.

So, lets write off updating the Fed ships as the extra shields and type8/upgraded phasers makes it too easy.

Alright, so Klingons have SomKor to allow all the Brels to live. So, what has Dominion gotten to keep those Breen and JH attack fighters on the table?


Breen ships are still popular in my neck of the woods (well ok, not exactly popular but I do see them used), Kraxon escort to keep the ship alive long enough to deliver its energy dampener and then a big hitter like a battleship to deliver the finisher. I expect to see this even more now that Feds can stack +4 shields on to a ship of their choice.

I'd be more interested to hear whether anyone has found any new tricks for Kazon/Vulcans, they're two fleets I'd really like to play (esp Vulcans with Temporal Cold War coming up) but it seems like theyre going to have a harder time than ever with fleet captain going away at Christmas.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
The only tricks I found for Vulcans were stacking Vulcan Commandos at reduced cost and stuffing aft particle beam on everything.

Kazon strategy to me is that of a blunt instrument. Use Relora-Sankur for +1 attack die on a green and the Nistrum-Cullah for a limited +2 dice on attack. Use Razik and Cullah and the cheapest crew you have for discard/disable.

Something like

26 Ogla-Razik
4 Razik
3 Karden
33

26 Nistrim-Cullah
2 Cullah
2 Tersa
30

26 Relora-Sankur
3 Jabin
29

24 Predator
3 Rulat
27
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Rodriguez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
How about most D'Deridex class Warbirds?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Rodriguez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
For the Aj'rmr you need the ship to be damaged to have any effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.