Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mostly a euro game player, and I'm not daunted by long rule books, however most euro games have a fairly straightforward mechanic or two and some ancillary rules and effects. Navajo Wars, being my first foray into wargames, is a whole different animal. I'm in the process of reading the rule book now, but I'm not entirely sure that, when I finish, I will even be ready to start playing.

What is your recommendation for getting started? Is there a good tutorial, or video, or do I read some parts of the book, then start playing and read as I go along, or what's the best approach here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
The game comes with a separate playbook which guides you through your first game, telling you what to do and which bits of the rulebook to read when. It worked pretty well for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
definitely read the playbook. it runs you through a few turns and gives you the most used mechanics of the game and some basic strategies. i read that before i even read the rules. made understanding the rules much easier.

also watch the Los Duenos del Mundo series of videos (i believe there's an intro video and 8 others in the videos section). they were EXTREMELY helpful in my "getting" the game.

and, of course, use us, the bgg community, as a resource.

navajo wars is a favorite of mine, one of the few untouchables in my game collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also a Eurogamer who took his same plunge. The playbook is truly the way to go. It still took a few times through until I understood the best way to go about meeting the objectives and not just making random choices. It is a great game bs experience though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The playbook followed by Joels intro vids got me into the game. Still one of my favourites. Don't worry if you need to check rules all the time. I still do - because it has specific steps that have to be followed in a specific
order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody. I've started reading the Playbook, but as I scrolled through it, I was instantly drawn to the "Designer's Notes" and have found them quite interesting. The historical nature of this game was a big draw for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, lest you guys think I'm an idiot, here's what happened. I got this game via a recent math trade. When it came, I opened the box, and quickly looked through the components. The instruction books were in a plastic bag, which is why I didn't see the Playbook.

The next day at work, I googled "navajo wars rules" and started reading them. This is why I had no idea about the extremely helpful Playbook. Of coursethat's the way to get started with this game!

I got through the first few pages of the Playbook and now have the game set up for playing. Hopefully tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a great series of tutorial videos that accompany the tutorial in the book.

There are four videos total.

That's as far as I got. Dying to have someone hold my hand when I finally jump in without a net. It's pretty intimidating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The deeper I get into this, the more respect I have for Joel Toppen. So many rules and conditions and exceptions - I find it amazing that he was able to come up with all of this, and be so true to the theme at the same time. And I'm sure that many of the hex and counter wargames are similar works of art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also highly recommend Al Wilson's tutorial really does an excellent job of simplifying the game that otherwise looks complex to the beginner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMSzeO59vYg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.