Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Canner
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On p.11 of the rules it says:

English rule book wrote:
Cart operator: starting from one of your restaurant entrances, trace a route of range 2 over roads. Including the tile of your restaurant, the route will thus cover up to three tiles. Take 2 drinks from the stock for each drink symbol you pass by. Note that you have to actually traverse the road orthogonally adjacent to the drink symbol. If there are multiple drink symbols on the same tile, it is sometimes possible to pass them both. However, it is not allowed to make U-turns in order to do so.

So you can't make a U-turn in order to pass two drink symbols on the same tile.

What about other types of U-turns?

My guess is that cart operators can never make a U-turn for any reason. But the rules don't currently say that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No U-turns for buyers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Jeroen said, no U-turn.

The Truck Driver says it moves like the Cart operator, so that implies the same rules of no u-turn.

The Zeppelin pilot specifically states it collects for all drinks on the tile, essentially because it flies over the tile, not going by road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, what is the definition of a U-turn?
I remember a tile in my game where the road does a U-turn by itself. That is, if you just follow the road, you will end up going back the tile you came from. Is this considered a U-turn?
I think not, but I'd like to be sure. By U-turn, you mean not drive where the road leads you, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Canner
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

Love the game! Played the Intro game last night, still getting my head around the turn sequence, but overall I really enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
tublefou wrote:
I remember a tile in my game where the road does a U-turn by itself. That is, if you just follow the road, you will end up going back the tile you came from. Is this considered a U-turn?
I think not, but I'd like to be sure. By U-turn, you mean not drive where the road leads you, right?

basically, no backtracking on the same road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
tublefou wrote:

basically, no backtracking on the same road

But again - if the road makes a loop that lets you drive the other way on the same road, that should be allowed, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
But again - if the road makes a loop that lets you drive the other way on the same road, that should be allowed, right?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Would such a loop be always at least 4 tiles? Then yes - if you have the range ;-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if i am on the left lane of the road i cannot take drinks that are on the right lane of the road?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanelorn wrote:
So, if i am on the left lane of the road i cannot take drinks that are on the right lane of the road?

That depends on the country where you are playing the game ...

But that's how i understood the part about the U-turn too - but it seems to be wrong!

The rules say the drink tiles need to be adjacent to the road, so I guess actually both sides should work.

Can't wait to get this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanelorn wrote:

No, you can take drinks on either side if you pass them orthogonally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
Benji68 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Would such a loop be always at least 4 tiles? Then yes - if you have the range ;-).

Maybe Benji68 has the tile with house No.5 in mind (basically the road is just a big loop around the edges of the tile). So you can use this tile to turn (but I highly doubt that this will be a good move, since it costs two range; one for entering the tile and one for leaving).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
jmdsplotter wrote:
Benji68 wrote:

Maybe Benji68 has the tile with house No.5 in mind (basically the road is just a big loop around the edges of the tile). So you can use this tile to turn (but I highly doubt that this will be a good move, since it costs two range; one for entering the tile and one for leaving).

Also, i was under the (wrong) impression, that drinks could only be fetched from one side of the road. In that case it could have made sense to "drive back". But it's all clear now, thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So U-turn doesn't mean that you cannot change lane, it means that you cannot go back on the same road, you can go only forward. Now it's clear :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a question that comes to mind remains unanswered: if one symbol can provide more than a single pickup (this is possible only when using the #5 house tile) in a single turn.

Please take a look at this image: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2707995/food-chain-magna...
and focus on the 3 left-most tiles, starting from the one with a beer symbol.

Let's say I have a restaurant on the beer symbol tile, with the entrance exactly opposite to the beer symbol, and that I have a Truck Driver (thus range 3).

I "get out" from that restaurant, and on this tile I collect 3 beers. Then I go on by moving north, towards the tile with the lemonade symbol. I pass it and collect 3 lemonades. Then I enter the #5 House tile, make a full circle around the block in it, and I exit back in the tile with the lemonade symbol. At this point, does that symbol give me 3 more lemonade tokens or not since it's been already used?

Since there's written nowhere on the manual that a drink symbol can't be used more than once per turn, and I didn't either made an illegal U-turn, this seems to be a special case which should be addressed officially.

By RAW, I should end up with 6 lemonades and 3 beers. But better safe than sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Galandil wrote:
Well, a question that comes to mind remains unanswered: if one symbol can provide more than a single pickup (this is possible only when using the #5 house tile) in a single turn.

Please take a look at this image: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2707995/food-chain-magna...
and focus on the 3 left-most tiles, starting from the one with a beer symbol.

Let's say I have a restaurant on the beer symbol tile, with the entrance exactly opposite to the beer symbol, and that I have a Truck Driver (thus range 3).

I "get out" from that restaurant, and on this tile I collect 3 beers. Then I go on by moving north, towards the tile with the lemonade symbol. I pass it and collect 3 lemonades. Then I enter the #5 House tile, make a full circle around the block in it, and I exit back in the tile with the lemonade symbol. At this point, does that symbol give me 3 more lemonade tokens or not since it's been already used?

Since there's written nowhere on the manual that a drink symbol can't be used more than once per turn, and I didn't either made an illegal U-turn, this seems to be a special case which should be addressed officially.

By RAW, I should end up with 6 lemonades and 3 beers. But better safe than sorry.

To me it seems like the rule is you may never travel on the same road twice. So this would not be allowed and you would not get double lemonade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
To me it seems like the rule is you may never travel on the same road twice. So this would not be allowed and you would not get double lemonade.

If we apply the rules to the letter, driving around a block isn't a U-turn (at least, considering the definition of what a U-turn is in any driving manual around the world), so it would be perfectly possible to pick-up twice from a symbol using the #5 House tile.

But I'm asking this specifically in order to get an official answer so any doubt on the matter is lifted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official answer is already above. You can drive on the same road more than once, following a loop is not a U-turn.

jmdsplotter wrote:
Benji68 wrote:

In this case, the distance is not 4 tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galandil wrote:

No, each drink symbol can only be picked up once per turn (per buyer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:

"Per buyer" means that I can use more than once in a single turn a drink symbol if I have more than one Cart Operator/Truck Driver (i.e.: I have 1 CO and 2 TD, so I can pickup from the same symbol 3 times in the same turn), right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galandil wrote:
jmdsplotter wrote:

"Per buyer" means that I can use more than once in a single turn a drink symbol if I have more than one Cart Operator/Truck Driver (i.e.: I have 1 CO and 2 TD, so I can pickup from the same symbol 3 times in the same turn), right?

Exactly (assuming they all have enough range, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
ringo84 wrote:
jmdsplotter wrote:
Benji68 wrote:

Also, i was under the (wrong) impression, that drinks could only be fetched from one side of the road. In that case it could have made sense to "drive back". But it's all clear now, thanks!!

I was just reading the rules now and looking for that answer ever since. That's not well phrased, neither German nor English, but with the answer here, I don't mind.

Looking forward to play tonight and thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
another way of asking, though i think it has been affirmed, is if the santa maria was restaurant was open and moved exactly 2 hexes left.

would the same truck driver be able to buy at both the lemonade and the beer, by going w out the door, N around the loop, and then S to the beer?
for 3 movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
easterly1 wrote:
another way of asking, though i think it has been affirmed, is if the santa maria was restaurant was open and moved exactly 2 hexes left.

would the same truck driver be able to buy at both the lemonade and the beer, by going w out the door, N around the loop, and then S to the beer?
for 3 movement?
No, they'd have to choose to either:
* go north or west to get lemonade
* go south to get beer (and perhaps soft drinks)
The loop doesn't help them reach the beer (they've already "used" the bit of road next to the lemonade)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NikolasCo wrote:
easterly1 wrote:

for 3 movement?
No, they'd have to choose to either:
* go north or west to get lemonade
* go south to get beer (and perhaps soft drinks)
The loop doesn't help them reach the beer (they've already "used" the bit of road next to the lemonade)

As per above, it seems you can use the same bit of road, as long as you didn't use a u-turn to get there. What bit of the above am I forgetting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.