The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is our wonderful game loosing popularity? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Søren Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It has probably happened before - but for the first time today I could not see LOTR LCG on the hotness list! Is the game loosing popularity, are players moving to other forums? Or?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's probably due to Essen and the fact that many new games gain bursts of popularity during it. I would wait to see if the game come back in the next few days.

Of course, it might be that with games like Mistfall or Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game being released some players at least are focusing on them over LotR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope not, I picked up this game about a month ago and have been playing it pretty regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cant
United Kingdom
Retford, Notts
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope not I might have just got it in a math trade!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
honeyralmond wrote:
I think it's probably due to Essen and the fact that many new games gain bursts of popularity during it. I would wait to see if the game come back in the next few days.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Even if it's popularity is waning though, their is still a lot of content in the pipeline, and it doesn't depend on a local tournament scene like other competitive card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I bet it's just from all the new releases that are temporarily dominating the hotness. Mage Knight and Netrunner are both a lot lower than usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
i can't speak for anyone but me, but i'm done with this game. just totally overwhelmed with expansions and i've grown tired of the LOTR ip in general.

i'm not getting rid of what i've got, butuit hasn't come out of storage in quite a long time & i'm stopped buying expansions a while back. i was having trouble getting my game group to play it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankfully, for every person that is dropping out, it seems like many, many more are joining in. There is a ton of demand for the podcasts about the game, Fantasy Flight continues to churn out products which means it is selling.

This game isn't going anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
For Gondor!
For Gondor!
FOR GONDOR!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Lawrence
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not at all. Like folks have said, it's due to Essen. Looks like most of the games on there now are new releases, future releases, or current Kickstarter projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this game is going anywhere for a long time. I think it's here to stay.

Besides, even if it stopped being supported by FFG, why is that cause to stop playing it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
I don't think this game is going anywhere for a long time. I think it's here to stay.

Besides, even if it stopped being supported by FFG, why is that cause to stop playing it?

This is true. Even if FFG stops production tomorrow, there's enough content available a new player could play it for years before running out of variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
speder wrote:
It has probably happened before - but for the first time today I could not see LOTR LCG on the hotness list! Is the game loosing popularity, are players moving to other forums? Or?

Considering that a very small fraction of boardgamers come to this site, I would not worry whatsoever about what shows in The Hotness, what the game's ranking is, or anything but what FFG announces. Since we have at least a dozen new expansions of various kinds already in the pipeline, we're good for a long long time. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
They still have to at least finish the Saga :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Really wish I could get the rest of the first series of adventure packs. Any idea when they'll reprint them.

Also, are the hobbit Sagas worth it. Just started playing and haven't gotten though the core adventure is the two adventures I did get from the first series. Also have the first three expansions. Definitely have enough to last a while. Just a little worried about the early saga expansions going out of print.

Also, I kinda thought LotR LCG has been gaining some popularity recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rohan G
Australia
flag msg tools
I just started playing the core yesterday and enjoying it very much. So add another fan to the list!

I am already eagerly awaiting the 'Shadows of Mirkwood' cycle reprint but it's "on the boat" so who knows how longer that will take to get in store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/ The current round of reprints are listed as On the Boat, so 4-8 weeks would be a reasonable guess as to when they hit stores again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ACGalaga, Gravox: I happen to own one extra copy of Conflict at the Carrock. If anyone wants it, just hit me with a PM.

Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
[q="speder"]
Considering that a very small fraction of boardgamers come to this site, I would not worry whatsoever about what shows in The Hotness, what the game's ranking is, or anything but what FFG announces. Since we have at least a dozen new expansions of various kinds already in the pipeline, we're good for a long long time. cool

Pretty much this. People should remember that BGG is not the alpha and omega of gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samanar
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
I hope not, I picked up this game about a month ago and have been playing it pretty regularly.

Excuse me, but I fail to comprehend how does few forum posts less than usual would stop you from enjoying this wonderful game. Especially since you got several solid months worth of content already published and another batch on the way. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
You people should post less, and be more for Gondor! Why are you not for Gondor?! FOR GONDOR!

(It's the Essen effect. The OP's concern is justified. We still want FFG to print more and more content and they can only do so, if there's a sizable interest. So, if the interest "seems to" go down, there's a fear of FFG closing the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game will stop...

eventually.

In the mean time, the Land of Shadow still not there, 2 packs remaining in the current cycle, 2 more Saga coming down the pipe, as well as a Deluxe Expansion a whole new cycle of 6 adventure packs.

Does not seem very dead to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about others, but I just got into the game one year ago. My friend and I just completed The Lost Realm scenarios and are almost all caught up. I don't have any intention of stopping playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Bustos
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I joined this game recently. I sold some RPG books I didn't use and bought everything! except Nightmare Decks. I'm playing first cycle now. So I hope long life to this great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samanar wrote:
drmark64 wrote:

Excuse me, but I fail to comprehend how does few forum posts less than usual would stop you from enjoying this wonderful game. Especially since you got several solid months worth of content already published and another batch on the way. cool

Well. I will enjoy the game either way. When a game loses its luster companies stop supporting it. People drift away and you won't have as much online interaction (rules questions, opinions etc...) to support your face to face time. Fellow gamers become more reluctant to play a game that is no longer popular (kind of like restaurants). I don't like it, but I accept that human nature is what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.