Subject: Double extra turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vitaliy Voloshchuk
Ukraine
Kiev
flag msg tools
mb
Let's assume I have several wonders with extra turn ability. Cab I build all of them one by one? (If each such wonder allows to take an extra turn)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer is yes !!

But in most case it's not the best strategy...
Keeping at least one replay ability for the match point is more important
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vitaliy Voloshchuk
Ukraine
Kiev
flag msg tools
mb
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:
Answer is yes !!

I agree, but it can be very piwerfull combi at the end of III Age, when you can burn several cards in one turn and finish the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imre Hauszknecht
Hungary
Pécs
flag msg tools
We'll kill you with kindness!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer is yes !!

I think the one good moment to build more wonders in a row with multiple turns, when your opponent already has built 3 wonders. This way you can go before, and hinder him to build up his last powerful wonder.

(But I've only played it 4 times, and it's maybe possible that Bruno has played it a bit more )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Beljo
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last game I had the Progress tile which gives you an extra Turn for every wonder you build and I had the chance to finish 2 wonders with Military strengh and achieved Military insta win.
So in the end it depends on the circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
If I have extra turn marker and I've just built Sphinx which gives me extra turn, do I get 2 extra turns right in a row? One from marker and other from Sphinx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex dhs
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Baramon wrote:
IF have extra turn marker and i've just built Sphinx that gives extra turn, i get 2 extra turns right in a row? One from marker and other from Sphinx

No you can't, it is written in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
yeap overlooked it, already saw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thread.

I've only had a few plays so far, but all my gaming common sense cries out 'you should not be able build two (or more) back-to-back wonders by chaining together turns'.

But then I'm not going to argue with the co-designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Interesting thread.

I've only had a few plays so far, but all my gaming common sense cries out 'you should not be able build two (or more) back-to-back wonders by chaining together turns'.

Agree with both of you're points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Answer is yes !!

Why does the rule state " you may take a second turn" and not "you may take another turn" if they were meant to chain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
A man, a plan:
badge
Anal Panama
mbmbmbmbmb
tierdal wrote:
Why does the rule state " you may take a second turn" and not "you may take another turn" if they were meant to chain

Probably a translation issue, in the French rules (and I assume that one's the original), it’s "Le joueur rejoue immédiatement un tour.", i.e. "The player immediately plays another turn"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Interesting thread.

I've played 7 games so far and the most crushing victory totals have been because one player chained together 3-4 Wonders towards the end of the 2nd Age.

First of all, it's super un-fun to be on the other side when this happens because you have to watch your opponent take 4-5 turns in a row while all the cards you want disappear from the board.

Second, it just seems overpowered. We're valuing the Wonders with Extra Turn very highly in the selection process in response.

Has anyone house-ruled this to limit having no more than 2 or 3 turns in a row? We're considering it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
nickv2002 wrote:
ousgg wrote:
Interesting thread.

I've played 7 games so far and the most crushing victory totals have been because one player chained together 3-4 Wonders towards the end of the 2nd Age.

First of all, it's super un-fun to be on the other side when this happens because you have to watch your opponent take 4-5 turns in a row while all the cards you want disappear from the board.

Second, it just seems overpowered. We're valuing the Wonders with Extra Turn very highly in the selection process in response.

Has anyone house-ruled this to limit having no more than 2 or 3 turns in a row? We're considering it.

I do not consider this. As Bruno said:

There are enough games decided in third age.

And if you are valuing the wonders with double turns highly during drafting it shouldn't be even possible, except for that progress token. So it shouldn't be an issue in general, execpt you want to shift emphasis during drafting ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nickv2002 wrote:

FWIW: In the handful of games I've played so far with the Pantheon expansion, this power curve for play-again wonders has been smoothed out thanks to the new mechanics like God powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.