Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Food Chain Magnate» Forums » Rules

Subject: recruiting doubt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Camillo Quatrini
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

from pag 9 of rulebook
Quote:
If a certain deck runs out of cards, you may no longer hire that type of employee until cards become available again.


Ok it's fine but after

Quote:
However, you may recruit such a card if you immediately train it to a higher level (so you don’t actually have to take the card).


this means that i can Combine 1 Recruit action + 1 Train action to recruit a missing worker and immediately upgrade it into another Worker ( level +1 ) really present and take it.


THNX

ODK

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I read it as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orso Del Kispios wrote:
this means that i can Combine 1 Recruit action + 1 Train action to recruit a missing worker and immediately upgrade it into another Worker ( level +1 ) really present and take it.


Yes, correct. Only the final personnel card has to be available.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question.
The rules clearly state that the various phases has to be performed in order. For instance, once you start training, you can't recruit anymore.
Does it mean that the combo recruit + train (to avoid the unavailable card issue) starts your training phase immediately, making later recruitments impossible?
This would mean that this trick can only be used once per turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tublefou wrote:
Related question.
The rules clearly state that the various phases has to be performed in order. For instance, once you start training, you can't recruit anymore.
Does it mean that the combo recruit + train (to avoid the unavailable card issue) starts your training phase immediately, making later recruitments impossible?
This would mean that this trick can only be used once per turn.


No - just think of it as recruiting a phantom card, and then putting it back immediately once you train that card . You can do it as often per turn as you want (and can recruit+train).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camillo Quatrini
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
Orso Del Kispios wrote:
this means that i can Combine 1 Recruit action + 1 Train action to recruit a missing worker and immediately upgrade it into another Worker ( level +1 ) really present and take it.


Yes, correct. Only the final personnel card has to be available.


THnx Jeroen.

+1 also @tublefou, you cover my second doubt on recruiting.

ODK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
No - just think of it as recruiting a phantom card, and then putting it back immediately once you train that card . You can do it as often per turn as you want (and can recruit+train).

Yes, I got that.
It's just that this sequence seems to break the sentence "Actions have to be performed in the order listed here" of the rules when applied to the recruiting and the training actions. It looks like you can recruit a bit, then train a bit, then go back recruiting and so on.
Correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tublefou wrote:
jmdsplotter wrote:
No - just think of it as recruiting a phantom card, and then putting it back immediately once you train that card . You can do it as often per turn as you want (and can recruit+train).

Yes, I got that.
It's just that this sequence seems to break the sentence "Actions have to be performed in the order listed here" of the rules when applied to the recruiting and the training actions. It looks like you can recruit a bit, then train a bit, then go back recruiting and so on.
Correct?


Not really (at least in my mind). As an example: first I recruit 2 (phantom) management trainees and a waitress, and then (in the training step) I train my two (phantom) management trainees to 2 JVPs, putting the (phantom) management trainees back on the empty stack.

Just think of it as that you're allowed to "borrow" non-existing personnel cards (for this purpose), as long as you've put them back at the end of your turn (in phase 3).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tublefou wrote:
jmdsplotter wrote:
No - just think of it as recruiting a phantom card, and then putting it back immediately once you train that card . You can do it as often per turn as you want (and can recruit+train).

Yes, I got that.
It's just that this sequence seems to break the sentence "Actions have to be performed in the order listed here" of the rules when applied to the recruiting and the training actions. It looks like you can recruit a bit, then train a bit, then go back recruiting and so on.
Correct?


More or less, close.

The only "train a bit" that you can do in between recruiting is 'recruiting a trained professional' when the base-level worker is not available. e.g. Recruiting+Training a Burger Cook when no Kitchen Trainees are available.

Just keep in mind you can't re-use those training actions or train further the people you've already trained (without the First to pay $20 in salaries milestone).

Off the top of my head, I can't think of an issue that would come up if you handled recruiting and training simultaneous (in turn order of course), so long as you kept in mind the restrictions on training.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
Off the top of my head, I can't think of an issue that would come up if you handled recruiting and training simultaneous (in turn order of course), so long as you kept in mind the restrictions on training.


The only one (I think) is that you're not allowed to recruit someone you have just trained (in other words, taking back the same card again by recruiting it).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
The only one (I think) is that you're not allowed to recruit someone you have just trained (in other words, taking back the same card again by recruiting it).

Ah I see.
I was going to say that I'd rather see the recruiting and training as simultaneous actions, but this would allow something forbidden.
Thanks Jeroen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
Dolus wrote:
Off the top of my head, I can't think of an issue that would come up if you handled recruiting and training simultaneous (in turn order of course), so long as you kept in mind the restrictions on training.


The only one (I think) is that you're not allowed to recruit someone you have just trained (in other words, taking back the same card again by recruiting it).


You wouldn't be able to Train a Management Trainee into a Junior Vice President and then Recruit the Management Trainee you just placed back. But if the pile was depleted, this is the same as Recruiting a phantom Management Trainee, and then promplty Training him to Junior Vice President.

But I failed to take this a step further, where your example is correct. If Management Trainee and Junior Vice President are sold out, it would be incorrect to Train your Junior VP into a VP, then Recruit a Phantom Trainee to Train into the returned Junior VP.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
jmdsplotter wrote:
Dolus wrote:
Off the top of my head, I can't think of an issue that would come up if you handled recruiting and training simultaneous (in turn order of course), so long as you kept in mind the restrictions on training.


The only one (I think) is that you're not allowed to recruit someone you have just trained (in other words, taking back the same card again by recruiting it).


You wouldn't be able to Train a Management Trainee into a Junior Vice President and then Recruit the Management Trainee you just placed back. But if the pile was depleted, this is the same as Recruiting a phantom Management Trainee, and then promplty Training him to Junior Vice President.

But I failed to take this a step further, where your example is correct. If Management Trainee and Junior Vice President are sold out, it would be incorrect to Train your Junior VP into a VP, then Recruit a Phantom Trainee to Train into the returned Junior VP.

Yes, exactly .
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent series of posts this cleared up the same nagging questions for me ...thanks guys ...


Brilliant production for this game btw splotter going from strength to strength ...

Although I still adore my first ed of Antiquity

Ric


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.