Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean O'Leary
United States
Haddonfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Jamey has mentioned he'll begin working on a couple of new faction expansions for a later release. I was wondering today, while staring lovingly at my Premium Edition pledge, if the player count would go up at all, even by just one, once the faction expansions are released. If so, do you think there's a chance of the special, fancy, juicy premium coins and resource tokens running out in the game and should I buy additional sets now? Not that I'm looking for a reason to spend more money, but I'd rather do that than deal with my component anxiety later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that the expansions will be on Kickstarter and I think you'll be able to buy additional sets then as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey already said the player count won't go up with the new factions are released
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
Jamey already said the player count won't go up with the new factions are released

Sad pandas are sad. I'd rather see this added to the rules than 1 player mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean O'Leary
United States
Haddonfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok... I didn't catch that. Thanks! Fears: assuaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

Sad pandas are sad.

Why? If the game experience would suffer by adding more players why should be pandas be sad by the designer not doing just to say it plays to 6 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:

Yep. He said it's still going to be maxed at t players, but there will be 7 factions to choose from instead of 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that while it will be "limited" to 5, that's a loose limit of 'This is what is sensible'

I believe there's absolutely nothing to stop you doing 6-7 players whenever the expansion factions happen, provided your group bears no fear of copious amounts of downtime and a particularly tight map =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

Sad pandas are sad.

Why? If the game experience would suffer by adding more players why should be pandas be sad by the designer not doing just to say it plays to 6 players?

6 players is a number that is frequently reached in my game group. So I am sad that the game can't be balanced for 6 is all. I completely understand how this is sometimes impossible (Honestly I am afraid the game I am designing won't be able to handle 6 players either. And that makes me very sad). But I can still be saddened by it.

oh well.. 6 players is why I have Rex: Final Days of an Empire and A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
Note that while it will be "limited" to 5, that's a loose limit of 'This is what is sensible'

I believe there's absolutely nothing to stop you doing 6-7 players whenever the expansion factions happen, provided your group bears no fear of copious amounts of downtime and a particularly tight map =P

Tight is rarely a bad thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broadbent
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:

I think Jamey's biggest concern about more players has been down time between turns. If your group is accustomed to playing with 6, then I suggest you give it a try.
For our group, 6 is painful. I'll push for 2 3s over a single 6 any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clbroad wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:

I think Jamey's biggest concern about more players has been down time between turns. If your group is accustomed to playing with 6, then I suggest you give it a try.
For our group, 6 is painful. I'll push for 2 3s over a single 6 any day.

Well for me that entirely depends on the group. Plus some games you just can't play well with less than 6. But I understand your point. My mom puts games in two categories: "Crocheting Games" and "Non-Crocheting games".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to chime in: Scythe will always just go up to 5 players because I think it will be much less fun due to downtime and a crowded board if you add a 6th or 7th player, BUT there will be enough components to play that way if you want to after we release the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Just to chime in: Scythe will always just go up to 5 players because I think it will be much less fun due to downtime and a crowded board if you add a 6th or 7th player, BUT there will be enough components to play that way if you want to after we release the expansion.

IN your design opinion would there need to be any rule adjustments for such a thing or is the downtime/crowded board the only real drawbacks (I know this is hypothetical but I am just curious in your honest feelings).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

There is a very large and growing community that has another opinion on the matter. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick: It's just a downtime/crowded board thing. I consider those big drawbacks, but heck, if I ever sat down to play Scythe with the expansions and we had 6 players instead of the recommended 2-5, I might even play it with 6 just so everyone gets a faction. 7...probably not 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YP
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
Patrick: It's just a downtime/crowded board thing. I consider those big drawbacks, but heck, if I ever sat down to play Scythe with the expansions and we had 6 players instead of the recommended 2-5, I might even play it with 6 just so everyone gets a faction. 7...probably not 7.

To make that possible, expansion would need to include new player mats as well though. Did you just spoil that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, the expansion would add 2 faction mats, 2 player mats, all the faction tokens/minis for 2 more factions, and some more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne LaBanca wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

There is a very large and growing community that has another opinion on the matter. sauron

I'm not sure that says anything positive about the community. Aren't boardgames supposed to be shared?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Wayne LaBanca wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

I'm not sure that says anything positive about the community. Aren't boardgames supposed to be shared?

Not sure where you got that impression but I'm also not going to derail the thread by getting into the discussion (almost as useless as religion or politics).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gong
United States
Kingsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want more players, go for it but Jamey warned you. I think I'll trust the designer on this one. Downtime in a 4X Euro with Mecha combat and multiple victory paths using asymmetric factions screams ANALYSIS PARALYSIS. surprise

Depending on how crowded the board gets, my group may just limit it to 3 or 4 players at a time until we're all "experts" and can play this in our sleep -- maybe we'll punch it up to 5 then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the box says it's a limit of 5, you could always play 6 or 7 anyways. You could try to do teams even. That might reduce downtime since you're coordinating with your partners on how best to proceed, but balance might be completely thrown out because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Wayne LaBanca wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

Board games are supposed to be played. And sitting down for 30 minutes to train up Robinson Crusoe so he can defeat the pirates and leave you in peace, trying to find doors in a dream labyrinth or discovering the cures to diseases via dice rolling usually makes for a more interesting half hour than sticking on the television for the same amount of time.

...Or for longer periods of down time, there's always 4-6 hour historic simulations like Navajo Wars...

Basically - People play solo board games for the same reason they play solo video games. Yes, the social aspect of the hobby is missing - but if that was the only part of the hobby I cared for, I'd be playing party games almost exclusively.

(Though... Solo experiences get shared. Hence the SGOYT Made Me Buy This geeklist. As for 'growing community' - Lets not forget that the 5p vs 1p stretch goal poll for Tiny Epic Galaxies was pretty much a 50/50 split [it was a which to unlock first rather than a which to unlock, I think] - Solo gaming has moved on from wargames, Avalon Hill sports simulations, and traditional card games to the more accessible genres of hobby games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
Having 6-7 players play makes the Crimean faction's power of moving to a base that is unused much less useful if not null.

I'm good with 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.