15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Mid-weight game(s) that work with two but scales up well? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, as title, I'm looking for mid-weight game(s) that work with two but scales up well

More than happy to look at different types of games but I'm generally not a fan of social/deduction games and those that are too random or chaotic (generally applies to high player count games...)

These
are the games I've played and rated in the past - not a long read: only 30-40!

Any and all recommendations appreciated. Thanks! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Naccari
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
You seem to like worker placement. Dungeon Petz has a great system for scaling between 2 and 4. My wife and I love it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
blue_rain wrote:
Hi everyone, as title, I'm looking for mid-weight game(s) that work with two but scales up well

Scales up to what number?

I think Istanbul scales well, (up to 5), and seems to be up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers

The Barbarians had a Warcraft II feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Glass Road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

The Voyages of Marco Polo - dice placement, asymmetric player powers, variable board setup hidden objectives
La Granja - multi use cards, Feldlike,
Concordia - cards as a rondel, resources conversion an expansion game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of my favorites fall in this category:
Innovation
Race for the Galaxy
Arkadia
Reef Encounter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pip Count 167 wrote:
Many of my favorites fall in this category:
Innovation
Race for the Galaxy
Arkadia
Reef Encounter

+1 for all of the above. Also recommend:

Ginkgopolis
Luna
Core Worlds
Tikal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower
Roll for the Galaxy
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Alien Frontiers

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are already a ton of great suggestions here. +1 for Keyflower especially. I also love Bruges 2 player.

You might also check out this video by Ryan Metzler of the Dice Tower:

http://www.dicetower.com/game-video/top-ten-multiplayer-game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dungeon Petz
+1 Istanbul
Check out Keyflower. Agricola and Keyflower are my top WP games.
If you like engine building then Imperial settlers is also a good choice. Deus isgood option too.
Raiders of the North Sea is coming soon. It should scale really well. Can't wait to get it myself.
Maybe you should give Suburbia another try?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Race for the Galaxy - excellent with 2-4 players. The only potential problem* is that it's not a good game to play with people who only play it occasionally as they'll probably feel a bit lost and almost certainly lose much of the time. It can be expanded to play 5 players (with any of TGS, AA, or XI) or 6 players with TGS + RvI. (Note that AA & XI can't be combined with each other or any other expansions)

* Well assuming that you and the people you want to play with actually like the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyak wrote:

Scales up to what number?

Preferably to at least 4

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Lots of games that sound great - will look into them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Glass Road, Race for the Galaxy, Finca, and Keyflower

It's usually just my wife & I playing, with occasional game nights with groups of 3-5. These are some of our favorite games and all play great at two and scale up well (Finca gets a little more chaotic at 4 but is still great).

I'd also recommend Puerto Rico. It's my favorite game, and plays very smoothly with the official 2 player variant. Scales up to 5 very well with little downtime. Highly recommended.

Also consider Troyes if you can find it (currently OOP). A fantastic game that I view as a little beefier version of Castles of Burgundy (which is another great game at two, haven't played with more). There's dice placement, worker placement, and significant player interaction with dealing with the events (marauders, etc.) and buying other players' dice. Such a great game with so many things to consider. If you're lucky enough to find a copy at a decent price, I highly recommend picking it up. Maybe a little bit heavier than mid-weight, but not overly so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YellowJack wrote:
+1 Glass Road, Race for the Galaxy, Finca, and Keyflower

It's usually just my wife & I playing, with occasional game nights with groups of 3-5. These are some of our favorite games and all play great at two and scale up well (Finca gets a little more chaotic at 4 but is still great).

I'd also recommend Puerto Rico. It's my favorite game, and plays very smoothly with the official 2 player variant. Scales up to 5 very well with little downtime. Highly recommended.

Also consider Troyes if you can find it (currently OOP). A fantastic game that I view as a little beefier version of Castles of Burgundy (which is another great game at two, haven't played with more). There's dice placement, worker placement, and significant player interaction with dealing with the events (marauders, etc.) and buying other players' dice. Such a great game with so many things to consider. If you're lucky enough to find a copy at a decent price, I highly recommend picking it up. Maybe a little bit heavier than mid-weight, but not overly so.

Sorry for the late response and thank you!
Many many great options here - will try to watch some playthroughs to get a feel of the games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.