Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damian Fraser
Canada
Whitecourt
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick note for new gamers on the site. I have learned my lesson and I would like to share some advice. I was introduced to board gaming in the spring of 06. I love it and recommend gaming all the time. The problem I ran into was that I just bought games a week after trying ticket to ride. I did not take in to count the people I was playing with, type of game or read any reviews. I just went to the local store and bought games, now almost a year later I have 25 games and 10 of them we don't play for the reasons I stated. New gamers please read reviews and check the games before you buy your first games- my first rule is Will my group like this game. I know some people have tons of games but I would rather have the closet full of games we enjoy and play. Thanks for reading. Anybody else have any advice for new people just getting involed in gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
my advice is just because it is popular on this site does not make it a good game. The game might be highly ranked on this site, but the site is biased like most sites. So you must work out what sort of games you think youd enjoy, read reviews and session reports to see if its your sort of game. The photos offer a great place to see what the game looks like.

I would just recommend that use this great place to find the information you need to purchase a game, i know for some people you just cant get a chance to test a game before purchase so often you have to dive in and take a huge risk. So minimise this risk and research your games first. Take your time most games are not going anywhere, especially the very popular games on this site.

If you find yourself with games you dont like and never play, there is the ebay market to sell it on. But there also is 2 great features here with the BGG market place or you can find trades.

So research and ask questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hugo mocc
United Kingdom
Leeds
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to look out for shipping/tax costs if you're buying abroad. These can be as expensive or even more expensive than the game itself, so make sure that they are worth it!

Also take into account the number of people you will be playing more often with. In the beginning I bought a few games that are sitting on the shelf because they are great games. But because I play 2-player games with my wife as a rule, the fancy 3-6 players end up unplayed.

Finally, I do agree that great reviews do not make for trying the game before buying. Don't believe the Hype. Play, if possible more than once, and then decide if you want to buy. Having said that, you will find that there wil be a couple of people (or more) in the Geek with simillar tastes to yours and probably, their reccomendations and reviews will make you buy games that you "know" will be worth the money, but remember that this must be the exception that confirms the rule of trying before buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
hmocc wrote:
My advice is to look out for shipping/tax costs if you're buying abroad. These can be as expensive or even more expensive than the game itself, so make sure that they are worth it!

Also take into account the number of people you will be playing more often with. In the beginning I bought a few games that are sitting on the shelf because they are great games. But because I play 2-player games with my wife as a rule, the fancy 3-6 players end up unplayed.

Finally, I do agree that great reviews do not make for trying the game before buying. Don't believe the Hype. Play, if possible more than once, and then decide if you want to buy. Having said that, you will find that there wil be a couple of people (or more) in the Geek with simillar tastes to yours and probably, their reccomendations and reviews will make you buy games that you "know" will be worth the money, but remember that this must be the exception that confirms the rule of trying before buying.

Some great advice with the taxes, i have been ripped off by that many times, especially in germany which charges taxes on the item and including the postage. so what could be great deals end up costing more than what you could get in your own country.

For alot of people it is hard to try before you buy. For me i have no board gamer friends so most purchases are from my research or just spur of the moment things. And for alot of new people to this site will have the same problem as i have. Best thing you can do is look in the Region forums for people in your city, and get into a game group. I hope to beable to do that when i get back to australia.

Another peice of advice is dont make bulk purchases unless you are getting cheaper prices and you know all the games that your getting are ones you want. If you get too many at one time youll most likely never get to play most because youll find one you love and play that till death. And usually by this time youll have another list of games you want so you forget about the ones you already have. This is a big problem with huge collections, you cant play them all, all the time! so while your new get ones you are pretty sure you know ull like, then with more experienceyou can start experimenting and finding more and different games. But start small!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osama Bin Davis wrote:
my advice is just because it is popular on this site does not make it a good game. The game might be highly ranked on this site, but the site is biased like most sites. So you must work out what sort of games you think youd enjoy, read reviews and session reports to see if its your sort of game. The photos offer a great place to see what the game looks like.

I'd make one slight adjustment to your first statement:

Just because it is popular on this site does not make it a game you're guaranteed to like. It is still likely a "good" game, as far as that can be measured objectively. But if auction mechanics aren't your thing, then Modern Art may not be for you.

Learn to identify what you (and your gaming group, if that's a fairly static entity) do and don't like about the games you do and don't like, and chances are you'll get some good recommendations from folks here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
yes i should have reprhased that a bit better. just because its popular on this site doesnt mean its the game for you!

thanks for pointing that out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My advice is never listen to Damian Fraser, aka. swanhills_ca, except sometimes. Maybe this time but definately not next time or the time after that. He gets all of his knowledge from that crazy 'Ask a Ninja' guy. Really? Can you trust a ninja?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john davidson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you have a static group of gamer friends I'd recommend checking out what the optimum number of players is for a game you are thinking of buying.
Just because it says playable by 2-7 people doesn't mean it is a great game throughout that range.

My own group varies from 2 players up to 7 players (but is usually 5 or 6) and I have a range of games that play well across that spectrum.
For Example: One of out favourite games is Struggle for Empires as it plays well with 6 players, but it is less fun with 5 or 7 due to how the alliances work.
For five players we tend to choose an 'everyone for themself' type game like Empires of the Ancient World, Carcassonne or Caylus.

It's also worth working out if you and your friends like combat, negotiation, empire building or whatever and how much luck or strategy you enjoy.

Game length too is an important consideration.
My friends and I think Civilisation is a great game, but we meet at a club which runs from 7:30 pm to 11pm and it is almost impossible to get the game to anything like a fair conclusion in that time frame. That's why my copy stays in the box week on week.

I would echo the advice to try before you buy if you possibly can.
But asking around on boards like this will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are probably people in your area who already play the games you bought. You could go back to the store & see if there's a bulletin board with notices of local events or gaming groups. You could post an ad:

Open-minded lonely cry Euro gamer seeking short-term fun that could lead to long-term relationship kiss . Has collection of unplayed games. Likes Ticket to Ride & Puerto Rico. Call 555-1234.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.