Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M V
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I 'm getting the hang of the rules, but I made note of a few parts that are still quite unclear:

1)[Breeding]
"Exception: if all of the players counters are showing the black background side, a player may breed any one of their menagerie creatures for one card only."
Does "one card only" mean that I can perform a breed action on any one of my animal classes counting it as one card, regardless of how many supporting card it has? So if I have a counter in one of the regions #3, for instance, I can draw 3 + 1 cards?

2)[Migration]
"The creatures counter may arrive in the new continent by first using the terrain icon, but must also have the continent icon in order to make the migration possible."
What could possibly be meant by "the terrain icon" here?? The example that follows this part seems clear enough, the illustration shows that the player simply put a black cube on the target continent's icon to indicate that they used up that icon for the migration part of the move. So what "terrain icon" does this sentence refer to?

Might be missing the obvious here... I would be grateful if someone could rephrase or explain these parts for me. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will venture a reply, although my experience is only from a full play at Essen.

kispetya wrote:
I think I 'm getting the hang of the rules, but I made note of a few parts that are still quite unclear:

1)[Breeding]
"Exception: if all of the players counters are showing the black background side, a player may breed any one of their menagerie creatures for one card only."
Does "one card only" mean that I can perform a breed action on any one of my animal classes counting it as one card, regardless of how many supporting card it has? So if I have a counter in one of the regions #3, for instance, I can draw 3 + 1 cards?

It should mean exactly that. Otherwise there is no point to suggest "any one" of the creatures.

kispetya wrote:

2)[Migration]
"The creatures counter may arrive in the new continent by first using the terrain icon, but must also have the continent icon in order to make the migration possible."
What could possibly be meant by "the terrain icon" here?? The example that follows this part seems clear enough, the illustration shows that the player simply put a black cube on the target continent's icon to indicate that they used up that icon for the migration part of the move. So what "terrain icon" does this sentence refer to?

Might be missing the obvious here... I would be grateful if someone could rephrase or explain these parts for me. Thanks

I believe what is referring to be the "terrain icon" is the first icon in the continent you are migrating into, eg. grassland, mountain etc. You should not be able to migrate to eg. Europe if you only have the first terrain icon, but not the Europe one, but you should be able normally to step on the first icon if you have it and use the continent one afterwards. Remember that you can migrate also before moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
I will venture a reply, although my experience is only from a full play at Essen.

kispetya wrote:

1)[Breeding]

It should mean exactly that. Otherwise there is no point to suggest "any one" of the creatures.

I disagree if you mean, you can draw 4. It means you can draw ONE and only One card, keeping the token on black side. I don't think you get region bonus. It gets you out of a hole of having no cards to move your tokens if all are on the black side. Hopefully you can trigger movement with this card, then can resume normal breeding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chooi wrote:
I disagree if you mean, you can draw 4. It means you can draw ONE and only One card, keeping the token on black side. I don't think you get region bonus. It gets you out of a hole of having no cards to move your tokens if all are on the black side. Hopefully you can trigger movement with this card, then can resume normal breeding.

To me, coralsaw's interpretation seems much more likely, since if you were really only supposed to draw one single card, then the rules would simply say "draw one card", and there would be zero point in specifying "any one of their menagerie creatures"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kispetya wrote:

1)[Breeding]

No. This situation occurs only very rarely and is usually the result of poor play. It is the 'get out of jail' card, so that you are not completely stuck and unable to play. All you get is one card in total and the counter stays on its black background side.

kispetya wrote:

2)[Migration]

The terrain icon refers to the terrain icon on the board on the space in the new continent you are moving to, which is matched to a terrain icon on the creatures cards.

kispetya wrote:

I hope this clears the above points. The game is not the simplest to get to grips with, but once you do you will find there are lots of tactics and strategies to pursue. I hope you enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Breese wrote:
I hope you enjoy the game.

Thank you for clarifying! Drawing only one card does make more sense gameplay-wise, I guess, it's just that the rules were a bit misleadingly verbose for the simple statement they were meant to convey.
Otherwise I love your style of rule writing, it's exactly how I would write a rulebook.

And yes, I am already starting to see the huge wealth of possibilities, so I'm pretty happy with my purchase! Thank you for another wonderful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Richard Breese wrote:

The terrain icon refers to the terrain icon on the board on the space in the new continent you are moving to.

I'm still confused
So is the example in the rule book wrong?
The raccoon migrated to a deciduous forest space in North America but it did not have a deciduous forest terrain icon
It merely migrated using its North America continent icon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
badge
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
mb

I think the terrain icon is important if migration occurs at the start of a turn rather than the end. While you need a matching continent icon to migrate, you don't need to use it for the first move of the migration if you have a terrain icon matching the first space in the area you're migrating to. You can then use that terrain icon for the first move of the migration and use the new continent icon for a further move on the continent you've migrated to.

The example in the rulebook is of migration at the end of turn - which I suspect is more common - so the terrain isn't important since you (must) have a matching continent icon, which enables you to move regardless of terrain. And, since it's the end of your turn, any further terrain matches on the new continent are irrelevant this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jion wrote:
So is the example in the rule book wrong?
The raccoon migrated to a deciduous forest space in North America but it did not have a deciduous forest terrain icon
It merely migrated using its North America continent icon

It's really very simple. For every movement of your animal, you must "use up" one of your animal's icons that matches either the terrain or the continent of the space that it is moving onto. (It is suggested in the rules that you keep track of which icons have been "used" by means of the black marker cubes.)

Migration, then, is just a logical extension of that. It is a special movement that the animal can make either at the very beginning or very end of its movement, onto the first unoccupied space of the corresponding region on another continent. The only proviso is that the animal must have at least one continent icon that matches the continent it is migrating onto.

If migrating at the end of movement, you must thereby necessarily have at least one unused continent icon which you can use for this purpose.

However, if migrating at the start of movement, you can choose instead to "use up" one of your terrain icons, if it matches the space you are migrating onto. This means that you still have the continent icon(s) available to continue your movement on your new continent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mumushanshi wrote:
It's really very simple. For every movement of your animal, you must "use up" one of your animal's icons that matches either the terrain or the continent of the space that it is moving onto. (It is suggested in the rules that you keep track of which icons have been "used" by means of the black marker cubes.)

Migration, then, is just a logical extension of that. It is a special movement that the animal can make either at the very beginning or very end of its movement, onto the first unoccupied space of the corresponding region on another continent. The only proviso is that the animal must have at least one continent icon that matches the continent it is migrating onto.

If migrating at the end of movement, you must thereby necessarily have at least one unused continent icon which you can use for this purpose.

However, if migrating at the start of movement, you can choose instead to "use up" one of your terrain icons, if it matches the space you are migrating onto. This means that you still have the continent icon(s) available to continue your movement on your new continent.
This is clear and correct. I hope it resolves any lingering confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Richard Breese wrote:
mumushanshi wrote:

This is clear and correct. I hope it resolves any lingering confusion.

Yes it does
And I think uisge's explanation was well written too

So the continent icon being visible (and unused) is necessary to qualify for a migration, but the icon does not need to be exhausted to execute the migration. A matching terrain icon would suffice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.