Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

So after reading a review or two and some slight observations (I'm trying to be very spoiler free), I'm under the impression that most of this game is going to happen the same way for each group.

Meaning - two different groups will have very similar or almost exactly the same experience with how things happen. Not what or who they happen to, but when they happen.

This game has the "Lose 4 in a Row Packet" but not much else like that. In Risk Legacy, there were many different packets that triggered from in game actions, so my group could open a very specific and game altering packet early on but other groups might not until very late if ever.

I'm wondering if someone could enlighten me about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. PL feels much more linear and NARRATIVE than RL. You'll make lots of choices that influence your characters and the diseases, etc, but the story beats are timed by the months.

That said, the perception of difference was more pronounced than the real difference in RL. You could sequence break 1 or 2 things with a good deal of effort, but most games unfolded in a very similar rhythm, just different faction relationships and boards changes in different locations. There are equivalents for all of these in PL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary G
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Exactly.

The overall background story 'flow' will be the same with "Open after this month" and "Ok stop flipping cards now" mechanics.

But nothing tells you how to play....

I am finding it a little bit more refreshing than Risk Legacy.
Mainly because after opening a couple envelopes in Risk you could just team up or collectively work on the 'objective' of opening all the envelopes in the first 2 or 3 games and seeing how you can rofl-stomp the people next game.
The 'objective' of Pandemic is still the base game you just have all this cool stuff happening around it that you have to adapt to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
colormage1 wrote:
Hey,

So after reading a review or two and some slight observations (I'm trying to be very spoiler free), I'm under the impression that most of this game is going to happen the same way for each group.

Meaning - two different groups will have very similar or almost exactly the same experience with how things happen. Not what or who they happen to, but when they happen.

I'm six months into Pandemic Legacy, so I can't comment completely, but I think that Risk Legacy is more variable and found that your changes feel more impactful than they do in this game.

Pandemic Legacy is fine, because the base game is so solid. Risk Legacy is not a strong base game, but the Legacy concept made it a total winner for me. I think Risk has a much better implementation of Legacy elements. Part of that is due to the competitive nature of the game, which makes gains and losses that occur from game to game even more personal. Part of it is because Pandemic Legacy is less about offering players choice than about taking them through a series of scripted scenarios. Thus far, in practice, there's not much difference between Pandemic Legacy and playing a series of Pandemic games and adding an expansion module each successive game.

Analytically, I think Pandemic Legacy is more well-designed game, but I have no doubt that Risk Legacy was the much more fun experience for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, Jeremy! That was basically exactly what I wanted to know.

My entire problem is that I don't like Pandemic as a game at all. I don't. However, I love the Legacy mechanic. And I was thinking that combined, I could enjoy Pandemic Legacy.

But my favorite part of Risk Legacy was how different things could happen at any time and how the stakes seemed to be very high and there was a lot of potential for stuff to happen. And it seems that that doesn't exist here.

That being said, if I can find it cheap, I'll probably get it. Because even though I dislike Pandemic a lot, I could definitely play it 24 times with stuff changing every game. But it went from a definite buy to a maybe because of the how the Legacy portion seems to be incorporated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.