Stronghold (2nd edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Essen review or details rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Valerio
Italy
Vicenza
flag msg tools
Can someone quickly post their impressions of this game after trying it and picking it up at Essen? I'm dying to hear of experiences with the game. Can't wait for it to be properly played and reviewed. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I can say that it's gorgeous this new version. I didn't had the chance to play it at Essen, so I don't know if the gameplay changes a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis (just my village's name)
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What details are you looking for?
I haven't playtested it yet, but I can give you some feedback from the unpacking:

Pros:
-game box: regular size, usual quality.
-board: huge! Seems of nice quality.

Cons:
-no paper insert inside the box. You just tthrow them all in there, inside their plastic bags.
-the invader cubes are tiny. You need a magnifying glass to see them - I'll have to buy bigger ones from eBay.
-colorblind issues: the real cubes and the cubes on the cards are red-green and very hard to distinguish. I'll have to write with a marker on the cards what each color is. (Same issue as with Robinson Crusoe event cards - no provision for colorblind people at all)
-rules

I'll playtest it next week and I'll write back to you a small review of how the game plays. Focusing only on the gameplay this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerio
Italy
Vicenza
flag msg tools
Thank you! I never played the previous editions, but the theme and the gorgeous board attract me alot.
The details I was thinking of were more about experience and fun factor than the physical components, but I didn't specified it well enough.
Waiting for your report then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis (just my village's name)
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm just like you! I never played the 1st edition, but I was excited to have my hands on the 2nd! Since I played Robinson, I was impressed by Ignacy's board games (perfectionist, attention to detail etc), so I wanted to play his new game and be part of this!
I'll let you know, since this is going to be my first time and I'll be able to discover as many corrections the rulebook might need, or give ideas for a FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
On the other side!
badge
On the other side!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a full game in Essen and had a blast. With the great explanation we got, it was easy enough to pick up and surprisingly fast-playing, though we were occasionally overwhelmed by the enormous range of options available, especially to the besieged. I will definitely buy it once it is available at local retailers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did they fix the scoring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Wątorski
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
Do you wanna play a game?
badge
We are all prisoners inside the cage of our own flesh.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dna_Boy wrote:

If the invader manages to break into the castle before the end of seven rounds, they win; otherwise the defender wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raphaell7 wrote:
Dna_Boy wrote:

If the invader manages to break into the castle before the end of seven rounds, they win; otherwise the defender wins.

That's it? That 1st edition side board with points is gone?
I've got to say, I'm a bit sad about that, it had its issues but it also had its merits..

I wish they had found a way to balance it and not just get rid of it..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Frey
Germany
Wiesbaden
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I picked it up in Essen and had our first "real" battle yesterday. Before I come to a couple of issues, I must say, that we both really like the game. And as soon as frenzied Goblins overcame the defenders at an almost forgotten wall-sections, we both wanted to play again!

Pro:
- Awesome job of integrating gamemechanics with a great theme
- The core of the mechnic is simple and fast to comprehend
- Very good gamelength (at least for us) with about 2.5-3 hours
- Great many options, which feel as if they matter
- No dice/ No plastic miniatures (even though I do like both, it gives it a different feel)

Con:
- the rulebook (it is great to read - but once you really need it, you are lost)
- quality/ proofreading: misstakes, inconsistencies, wrong labes.
- So far, no official clarification on quite some rulequestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristovao Neto
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife love the 1º edition, even if I never won as the attacker... The rulebook was a pain, but design wise it's a gem.

We just played this 2nd edition and even though I finally won as the attacker, I must say we're really disapointed, .
The whole thing seems to have been done in a rush, with many unforgivable erros and discrepancies (for a re-redesign) between the rulebook and player aid. I some passages, they even say the opposite...

Design wise it's an overall downgrade. The art is not coherent, the castle tiles don't match the gorgeous board and are just floating in the middle. As the attacker you can't understand anymore what the defender is doing, due to the lack of iconography. Some drawings are blured (like the war machines)and other tokens. The iconography is no longer clean and direct.
The tokens, really, what was wrong with the previous ones? Now they're huge weirdly shaped and blurry, some with ugly collors (the rituals), and other camouflaging with the board, making them hard to see...
The card art is also quite questionable to me (just compare the hit and miss cards).
Also, I'm not convinced by the minuscule attacker cubes vs the profile cutted meeples for the defender (again the 1º edition does a better job with that). Overall for us it lost all its charm.

Ok, some mechanics are welcome, like the objectives, the triple token ritual bluffs, but many don't seem right. Battling ram terminated? sabotage of a machine is no longer adding a miss to the hit deck, you just can't use it for a turn. The changes simplify the game but, the whole experience was convoluted.

Anyway, quite a few more negative things to say, so, to cut it short, what I'll do is a revamp of the 1st edition, so I can acomodate some rule changes and mechanics. Remove a hourglass here and there, add the 2 maurauders on the top left, add the objective cards, etc.
Basically I'll acomodate some variants after a few plays and quickly sell this flawded 2nd edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure to make a post about it in the Variants once you've playtested it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.