Popular Tags: [View All]
Isac Sandelin
Sweden
Sveg
Härjedalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I have made a Bible version of the game Timeline, where you have to put the events of the old testament into chronological order.

The game runs for 10-20 min for 3-4 players.

The card design is my own, and the pictures are just lifted from google for now.

I was planing of making it available for free online as a PnP, and perhaps look into having original art made for the 40+ cards in case I would like to sell small quantities at church and so on.

Are there any pitfalls that I need to be aware of?
I think I read somewhere that you can't copyright an idea, so is it okay to make a game like this?

A picture of two of the cards (game in Swedish, but an English translation has been requested)

When you print it you fold it, so that the year is at the back of the card. The first card has a star on it, to indicate that it might be a difficult card to place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Bible Timeline - Any thoughts?
Nice. So many Bible-themed games play fast and loose with Scripture.... Good to see one that won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

Suggestions:

1. Try working with subsets of the OT. For example, your first game can be strictly based on Genesis. Then a second game is strictly on Exodus. Then a 3rd game on Judges, and a 4th on 1&2 Samuel. Advanced games can tackle the Kings and the Prophets separately.

-- this would make it useful for Bible studies
-- and keep your card count per game low
-- and potentially, make it easier to have a consistent artwork style

2. Have scripture references on each card.
-- again, for Bible study
-- and also, again, to help describe the art

3. Avoid apocalyptic passages (for example, Daniel or Zechariah). The "barrier" of playing a Bible-based game is big enough, I think you don't want that barrier set even higher by bringing up things that are controversial across the various denominations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd take a leaf out of cardline's book and have more than one stat. This can increase the replayability and also the education aspect.

An easy obvious one is book/verse order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
I'd take a leaf out of cardline's book and have more than one stat. This can increase the replayability and also the education aspect.

A lot of the OT that most people are familiar with are already in sequential order, so chronological order will be nearly the same as book/verse order for Books like Genesis and Exodus.

Kings and Chronicles will be a good place to have that mix.

But I think more people will be familiar with the 4 Gospels, and then you'd at least be able to alternate the timeline between 4 books.

Another "stat" you can use is Location.... Put the cards in order from Northernmost to Southernmost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a great idea!

Most bible trivia games are either too easy to be interesting or too hard to be interesting. This should fall in the happy middle.

As for art, when you do a Google image search there's a button called "Search Tools", which gives you a bar where you can search by size, color, etc, and Usage Rights. If you set Usage Rights to "Labelled for Reuse With Modification" it means you can use that art for your game without a copyright issue. Of course, that doesn't mean you're going to find stuff you like, but you might.

Also, you can check the wikimedia commons for images you can use.

Keep us posted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Boychuk
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hey Isac,

Cool idea. I would imagine you need not worry about the copyright / trademark implications. While you can't protect the mechanism (timelining) per say. You can protect the artwork, layout, design, text etc via copyright - so that if someone were to copy your idea, chances are they would be infringing your copyright while attempting to duplicate your mechanic.

My recommendation for the actual gameplay itself, would be to incorporate secular extra-biblical events that people would be familiar with in order to increase their understanding and placement of biblical events in a world timeline.

You could look at a copy of Adam's Synchronological Chart (http://www.amazon.com/Adams-Synchronological-Chart-Map-Histo... - haven't yet read myself). For example, your card game could place the captivity of Daniel in 600 B.C. next to the founding of Pompeii. Awesome way to expound your topic in the framework it occurred in! Bible events didn't happen in a vacuum - they happened in a very real world.

Also - i should add - you will have a VERY hard time finding quality public domain images. What you might want to do is hire an illustrator. A lot of the indie video game sites have marketplaces where you can hire illustrators or designers. You could probably get 40 card images done for about $200 usd.

https://www.gamedevmarket.net/community/#request

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isac Sandelin
Sweden
Sveg
Härjedalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
srccard wrote:
While you can't protect the mechanism (timelining) per say. You can protect the artwork, layout, design, text etc via copyright - so that if someone were to copy your idea, chances are they would be infringing your copyright while attempting to duplicate your mechanic.

Yes, but in this case I would be doing the copying, since there is already a series of games by Asmodee with this mechanic called "Timeline".
Except, as far as I could see, they have no biblical events in their games.

andreww wrote:
As for art, when you do a Google image search there's a button called "Search Tools", which gives you a bar where you can search by size, color, etc, and Usage Rights. If you set Usage Rights to "Labelled for Reuse With Modification" it means you can use that art for your game without a copyright issue. Of course, that doesn't mean you're going to find stuff you like, but you might.

Also, you can check the wikimedia commons for images you can use.

Thanks, I might look into that, but I am also ready to get original art.

abodi wrote:

Actually, I have already added the book and verses to the cards, but the picture I posted was of an older version. I will try to post a picture of a later version... well... later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isac Sandelin
Sweden
Sveg
Härjedalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a render of the game.

The cards on the top are:
"Ten Commandments", "Elijah is brought to heaven" and "Jeremiah is called".
The cards on the bottom are:
"Prophecies of Joel" and "The Baker and Cup bearer"

Do you know where to place them (without cheating)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.