Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dealing with Battle Effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Played with some new monsters yesterday (new for me) that have brought up some questions.

1. Iblis's battle effect says: Cancel all light that is not provided by heroes. If a hero is equipped with a weapon giving light, this light has to be cancelled, right?

(This question was in a previous post, but that had 2 conflicting answers, and i figure 3 years later I can get a more definitive answer)

2. If a monster is immune to rangers, is he also immune to all the weapons the Ranger is holding?

3. A follow up question: one of the other players claimed that the weapons's attacks and abilities are all part of the equipped Hero's attack/traits. Is this true? It seems to me that the hero is equipping the sword, but the sword is the one giving the +3 attack. granted if the hero is destroyed the sword will be useless, but i feel the discrepancy is important.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scheele
Germany
Lüneburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The Light comes from the sword. So it doesn't come fro the hero. Therefore it is blocked.

2. IMO only the power of the Ranger. The weapons would deal damage.

3. Indeed, there is discrepancy. The sword is the sword and the hero is the hero. The sword does not become the hero. Otherwise stuff that would let you repeat hero abilities would let you repeat the weapon abilities. And that could break the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, immunity to a hero means the hero is effectively not in the battle. Thus he cannot hold a weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
IIRC, immunity to a hero means the hero is effectively not in the battle. Thus he cannot hold a weapon.

That does make sense, but I found this in the rulebook:

"Immune to [Something]: Monsters may
have a trait that makes them immune to
something, be it spells, blunt weapons,
Physical Attack, or heroes of level 2 with
a Strength of 4 or less on a Tuesday. If a
monster is immune to something, then all
of that thing’s Attack Values (that are not
directly applied to other specific heroes) are
reduced to zero. Other traits or abilities of
that something cannot target or affect this
monster. Noninteractive effects and abilities,
such as Light or keywords, are not affected
by this trait."

So some of the abilities a hero can use, and the light from a hero is still relevant even though the monster is immune to it's attack. It even seems that if the hero that the monster is immune to, give 1 attack to each other equipped hero, that ability is still ok.
But what about the weapon the hero is holding, that isn't clear from that paragraph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dornian
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:

I do not agree with this interpretation at all, we have always played as jooice suggests. The hero cannot attack the monster, and cannot use abilities which effect the monster directly. However that hero is still in combat. He can add light to the dungeon, draw cards, etc. One debatable item we have run across is whether or not that hero gets to add attack damage to other heroes (should he have that ability).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You misunderstand me. He is there, and can do anything that does not directly affect the monster, but cannot himself harm the monster. Which, IIRC, includes the weapon he is carrying. But I am at work and do not have the rules handy.

Edit: I should have said, "not in the melee" for perhaps more clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.