Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has there been any word on when (or if) an English version is coming out?

My non-gamer friends are very wary of foreign-language games, so I have a hard time getting people to play some of my foreign games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "German" version contains English rules... So all you've got left is German names on the cards. Is that still a problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you look at the cards, all the German words are almost cognates - they almost make sense as if they were English words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a copy coming from Boards and Bits, can't wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my Boards & Bits order today (I just ordered yesterday Wow!) with Space Dealer. The game comes with both English and German rulebooks. The cards in the game can be read and understood with no problem (e.g. Interstellarrakete = Interstellarrocket, Minekomplex = Minecomplex, Fusionreaktor = Fusionreactor, and so on). All the basic cards like Depot, Megacity, Mine, Orbitalstation, etc. don't need translation.

I would be very surprised if a straight English version will be released. If you really want the game now, you can't go wrong with the eggertspiele version and will be having fun long before a US version is published.

Cheers.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he's xenophobic and foreign languages make him break out in hives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have, for instance, a German copy of "Industria" that I enjoy. I have a hard time getting some people to play because the board is in German. Yes, half of the words are cognates. And you don't need to know any of them to play. People still get intimidated.

If there are no plans for an English version, I'll pick up a German one. Isn't there a 2nd edition coming out, though, with more balanced timers? Or are they simly adding better timers to the current edition without marking it as such?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cannon
England
Burgess Hill
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the German ed. of Industria too and imo it really does need the English language board to play well. Space Dealer is completely different - there is no issue whatsoever with the language. Buy it if you haven't already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've talked me into it. As soon as I can figure out how to get a copy with equal timers--or how to obtain cheap & equal replacement timers--I'll pick up a copy from my FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, an often missed part of the manual (I think on the last page) contains translations for any cards that may be ambiguous. But like it says, they are all pretty obvious. MineKomplex for Mining Complex for instance (as someone already mentioned.
And since it includes an english manual, and the only text is on some cards, its not a big deal.

Similar thing with Factory Fun that I just got. Only text is on the machine cards, and those are purely cosmetic (and are all pretty much english anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.