Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
Netherlands
Alkmaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T.I.M.E. Stories and T.I.M.E Stories: The Marcy Case are to be delivered at my doorstep tomorrow. This weekend I have a boardgamesession planned for 5 players and I cannot wait to introduce T.I.M.E. Stories and put it on the table. Anyone who has played the 4-player setup and has any thoughts on a 5-player variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting, not really thought of that. I certainly wouldn't ever get 5 people around to play, I'd struggle with 4 to be honest. When I play it will be with three, not optimal, but certainly better than the two player variant.

Could you start with less TUs available in a 5 player version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that if the game supported 5 that the designers would have indicated how to change the 4 player experience into a 5 player experience.

As they did not, I suspect the answer is "no".

I would go back in time and conveniently arrange for one of your friends to have a flat tire prior to coming over for game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb
It is cooperative and yes it is only for 4 players, but I think the game experience is the same or maybe better with more peoples. The only problem is that two of you have to play together. Or maybe one of you is the alltime time captain.

Alltogether I want to say is that this game is so incredible good, that if you share this experience with more people, you will enjoy it more.

Introduce the idea and let the people decide.

Please enjoy every single card, every text, location and little twist ... It is a onetime experience you will only have once. And choose your players wisely, cause you might play all further scenarios with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grossmutter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Alltogether I want to say is that this Game is so incredible good, that if you share this experience with more people, you will enjoy it more.

That is absolutely right.
And if you Start with more People you got a better Chance to organize three other Player for next Turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most locations won't have enough spaces for everyone to do their own thing so essentially at least one person will always be sharing someone else's card. I can't see it not working just makes it slightly easier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Netherlands
Alkmaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I would go back in time and conveniently arrange for one of your friends to have a flat tire prior to coming over for game night.
That's a good idea, but unfortunately my DeLorean had not enough power to jump back in time again..

Jordan Kane wrote:
Please enjoy every single card, every text, location and little twist ... It is a onetime experience you will only have once. And choose your players wisely, cause you might play all further scenarios with them.
I wholeheartedly agree with you there! When you start with 3 dedicated motivated players the chances are high that that group will go through all T.I.M.E. Stories.

Thanks for all the feedback so far! Unless one of my friends gets a flat tire prior our session, I will keep T.I.M.E. Stories on the shelf for a future 4-player session (which can't start soon enough!) Tomorrow it's going to get bloody with a 5-player Blood Rage session which will quench the thirst for battle on our trip to valhalla! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Netherlands
Alkmaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While a lot of fans played and finished the base game's scenario Asylum since release, I hope someone can give some thoughts about a 5-player variant. At first sight there are enough receptacles for 5 players and one extra custom player token can be added easily. While I have not played the game I think the only issue might be adjusting the TU to match the difficulty cq. challenge. Instead of 60 TU per run it will be 45 TU per run (25% adjustment; 60/4=15. But this calculation / adjustment might be up for debate ofcourse!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander N
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's certainly possible to play with 5 players if you manage to adjust TU per run accordingly, but this is very tricky to calculate. You can always subtract 5 TU from your given amount, and then adjust the value in your second run if necessary. In my opinion, the Asylum scenario for the most part doesn't mechanically benefit from 5th receptacle very much, while the Marcy Case can definitely get too easy.

*deleted math-heavy segment here after trying to draw meaningful conclusions from it, rather unsuccessfully*

I've heard that sharing 1 receptacle between 2 players can work wonders, - everyone gets to be involved in the process, and no one would have to worry about breaking the game's balance. However, what I've done myself is split our group into 2 smaller groups. We've played our first game in duo, and the next weekend I've hosted another game for a group of 4 friends. I simply helped with the rules and managed all tokens/cards and other shenanigans. It was a blast both times, and double the fun for me ;)

Another important point: with 5 receptacles, you will instantly know what's going on in some rooms right after entering (or after spending 1 TU). With 3-4 receptacles, you will often be forced to choose where to spend TU and where not to, where to spend items and life points and where not to. All this enhances tension and the whole exploration feel of the game. You lose a bit of that flavour with too many receptacles at play (probably not by much, but still).

I'd be very interested in hearing how your game session went, since i'll most likely be hosting another game soon for a larger group as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5-player variant:

1) Pawns can't occupy more than 4 location cards at once (so at least 2 players have to share one of the location cards).
2) The difficulty of each test is increased by one basic shield.

Edit: it really works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris roussos
msg tools
poifpoif wrote:
My 5-player variant:

1) Pawns can't occupy more than 4 location cards at once (so at least 2 players have to share one of the location cards).

OMG amazing setup!!!I just got the prophecy of dragons and i'll play it like this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played T.I.M.E Stories: The Marcy Case with five players, one character was controlled by two players (my wife an me). That was fine for all of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wiles
United States
Oakland
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
My 5-player variant:

I have been thinking about this as well. We played through Asylum with four, but have a fifth eager to play the expansions. I was thinking of something similar, where we each control a character, but when it is your turn to be time captain, you can't assist in tests and you can't place your piece on a space alone. That way each player still gets to engage with the scene in some way, but the game will play basically the same as with four. I can report back after we have tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Collins
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks!!!! I don't think a lot of hard math went into the TU to begin with, as its about as mathematically possible to calculate it as it is to calculate CR or AC in dungeons and dragons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.