Subject: best 2p configs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 2p [+] 504:123 [+] 504:583 [+] 504:683 [+] [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
okay just played 123 today and i was surprised how well the core systems worked, and am eager to try other combos. but it really wasn't a very good 2p experience, and i'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play one of the other 503 games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be interested in hearing the answer to this as well. 504 is probably too new for anyone to know for sure (unless someone from 2F has some suggestions and wants to chime in). Maybe after getting at least a taste of each module you can start to get a feel for which ones might work better in a 2 player environment?

Looking forward to your Run Through, Richard! Although I've already preordered the game, so I suppose it doesn't make much difference in my case. ;^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
RMGreen wrote:
I'll be interested in hearing the answer to this as well. 504 is probably too new for anyone to know for sure (unless someone from 2F has some suggestions and wants to chime in).

Yup, that's secretly my hope in posting this, as you're right: at this point, there's only a few folks who could answer this one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
okay just played 123 today and i was surprised how well the core systems worked, and am eager to try other combos. but it really wasn't a very good 2p experience, and i'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Can you maybe elaborate a bit in what regards you found the experience with 2p to be lacking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MiWi wrote:
rahdo wrote:

Can you maybe elaborate a bit in what regards you found the experience with 2p to be lacking?

Well, its a gigantic board, and a big part of 123 is supposed to be the race aspect that players are 'gobbling up' all the $-generating tiles by trying to reach valuable areas first. I can see how it would work very well with more players, but in two, it felt sort of fait accompli that we would each get about half the board to call our own without too much overlap.

It worked, but a big portion of the game was less than ideal. I worry a bit because it seems that a lot of the configs will rely on these gigantic board layouts, even with only 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my worry too
4player games were mostly good, but there seems to be to much space for 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
MiWi wrote:
rahdo wrote:

Well, its a gigantic board, and a big part of 123 is supposed to be the race aspect that players are 'gobbling up' all the $-generating tiles by trying to reach valuable areas first. I can see how it would work very well with more players, but in two, it felt sort of fait accompli that we would each get about half the board to call our own without too much overlap.

It worked, but a big portion of the game was less than ideal. I worry a bit because it seems that a lot of the configs will rely on these gigantic board layouts, even with only 2.

I eagerly await your runthrough on this, it will pretty much determine if I purchase this or not, given almost all of my gaming is with 2 (and we have extremely similar tastes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not play 1-8-X (except 184 maybe): https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1446365/no-way-end-2p-18x

Looking at the modules:
Module 1: Pick-Up & Deliver
Module 2: Race
Module 3: Privileges
Module 4: Military
Module 5: Exploration
Module 6: Roads
Module 7: Majorities
Module 8: Production
Module 9: Shares

I'd say that 2, 7 and 9 might be less than optimal (if at pos. 1 or 2?)

I haven't played the game yet though and you have way more experience in (2p) gamed than I have.

Looking forward to your runthrough as well! (It might be an idea to randomise the game in order to provide a less biased perspective...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
A man, a plan:
badge
Anal Panama
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:

Military (4) is also problematic, feels a bit like static warfare. (I wrote a small session report about two 2p games here.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:

Those are almost the modules that I would expect to be best with 2 players.
Module 9 has up to 5 companies so the board would become a lot busier.
Module 7 you are competing to get majorities in the various terrain types. this is competitive with two even if you aren't in the same part of the board.
The other module that seems like it would help is module 5. basically you can choose how close to the other player you want to explore, and whether you want to take advantage of tiles your opponent explored if you are close enough to do so.

I would say using one of 5,7,or 9 in position I or II will make the game feel a bit more interactive with 2 players.

Module 1 in position II is also interesting as you want to deliver goods that haven't been delivered recently.

Module 2 will be more interesting in position I and III than position II. In position I you are trying to be the first person to reach 9 cities which means that you both need to travel to most of the board over the course of the game. In position III it ads a minor score If you are the first player to do certain objectives (based on the module in position I).

Module 3 in position I and II won't shine with 2 players as much as other player counts as 2 player auctions generally aren't that interesting. That said it will still have the privileges and taxation, so it should be somewhat interesting.

Module 4 isn't ideal. With 2 players it would be best in position III. There it stops people occupying the same hex. If you move residents into a hex occupied by your opponent you keep removing one piece each from that space until only one of you (or neither of you) has any pieces left in the hex.

Module 6 just speeds up the game a bit by allowing easier movement. neither better or worse with 2 players.

module 8 adds production neither good or bad with 2 players.edit: actually in position I or II the amount of interaction will be decreased from a higher player count, as there are more cities for you to build trading houses (settlements) in, and you will only need to pay $10 if the other player got there first which isn't that bad. you do have to get to 8 trading houses (settlements in cities including hq) to win the game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedemann Friese
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have enough time by now for a well thought answer, but the first information would be. Try some of the combinations, where you play with game board #5 and all (2) players start in the same city in the center or together with exploration with both players starting in city 1 with all unexplored around them.

This will be
1.III
2.I / 2.II / 2.III
3.I / 3.III
5.I / 5.III
6.I / 6.II / 6.III
7.I / 7.III
8.I / 8.II / 8.III
In any combination (75 different) games

If you take 9.I or 9.II, you play always with 5 colors and the players direct them by majority of shares.
(together 144 games to try...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
friedemann wrote:
I do not have enough time by now for a well thought answer, but the first information would be. Try some of the combinations, where you play with game board #5 and all (2) players start in the same city in the center or together with exploration with both players starting in city 1 with all unexplored around them.

This will be
1.III
2.I / 2.II / 2.III
3.I / 3.III
5.I / 5.III
6.I / 6.II / 6.III
7.I / 7.III
8.I / 8.II / 8.III
In any combination (75 different) games

If you take 9.I or 9.II, you play always with 5 colors and the players direct them by majority of shares.
(together 144 games to try...)

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe for the maps with the larger board layouts, maybe taking out the outer ring of hexes would create a tighter space? Maybe remove 2 or 3 random cities and drop the game end trigger to 15-17 goods (in the case of World 123)?

As for a new balanced layout? That would just need to be worked out

Edit: Something like this?

The trigger of 23 goods for end of game is 0.575 of the original 40.

Using 8 cities and 32 goods would now make this 18 goods for game end.

Of course whether this works is up in the air as I'm currently in work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Heer
Germany
Troisdorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played 683 with two players. Worked really well and was a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Marine
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
583 is a pretty good 2 player game. We will play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.