Popular Tags: [View All]
Federico Abella
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading around that cardboard quality wasn't good enough for some people, which sounds like a shame since previous versions have such good board quality. Unfortunately, since I wasn't at Essen, comments are all I can base myself on.

So... anyone who's been at Essen, can you give your impressions on component (cardboard) quality? Do we know if Essen components are final or just there to show?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fede689 wrote:
I've been reading around that cardboard quality wasn't good enough for some people

Would you mind sharing where you've read this? I haven't heard a whisper of it in the forum or game comments, but maybe I missed a thread somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josef stein
msg tools
The carton for the players board are very thin und no good quality....

I miss the good old hard carton from the previous games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally prefer thinner player boards, to save weight. There's no advantage to thicker boards, that I can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
ewok2000 wrote:

Its better than Nations, right? I hated the component quality n that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Fischer
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player boards are not very thick, but I don't mind that. They are quite big and I think that's fine. The cards I like quite a bit, they have linen finish and are thick enough that I don't feel the need to sleeve them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ewok2000 wrote:

Same here. It's a shame.
And cubes are cheap.
I buy my copy at Essen, maybe retail version is better.

Wish TTA will have the same component quality from Dungeon Lords or Petz. I'm a huge fan of Vlaada. It's a pity, will buy for sure a Deluxe edition with wooden cubes or glasses.

Really disappointed. No understood how to use the insert box, but allready watch the video to reboxing
Empty space is for expansions for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Fischer
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UtterMarcus wrote:
ewok2000 wrote:

Same here. It's a shame.
And cubes are cheap.

I actually like the cubes and the wooden components with the stickers as well. Guess we just have different taste
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Abella
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
fede689 wrote:
I've been reading around that cardboard quality wasn't good enough for some people

Would you mind sharing where you've read this? I haven't heard a whisper of it in the forum or game comments, but maybe I missed a thread somewhere?

In the comments on some of the newer images. But there've been some comments on that here already.

DaviddesJ wrote:
I generally prefer thinner player boards, to save weight. There's no advantage to thicker boards, that I can see.

I prefer thinner boards as well, provided they're good quality. No need for overly thick boards. However, what worried me was not their width, but rather that some people described them as flimsy or not as good quality as previous editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why it matters if a player board is "flimsy". It's sitting flat on the table when it's in use; it doesn't matter how flimsy or solid it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I don't understand why it matters if a player board is "flimsy". It's sitting flat on the table when it's in use; it doesn't matter how flimsy or solid it is.

Flimsy can mean more prone to warping and/or quicker aging on the edges and corners. That would be bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

you obviously haven't played the "full contact" variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Abella
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Flimsy can mean more prone to warping and/or quicker aging on the edges and corners. That would be bad.

This.

Also, it's about the quality of what you're buying, especially in regards to the price you're paying for it. If all that matters were that you had something flat on the table were to put your stuff on, printed 75 gsm paper sheets would do just the same. Yet I don't think anyone would find that acceptable quality for a non-pnp boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fede689 wrote:
If all that matters were that you had something flat on the table were to put your stuff on, printed 75 gsm paper sheets would do just the same.

That wouldn't be the same for me, because that could tear or crease over time. Anything sturdy enough not to do that is fine with me.

You could put a giant metal plate in the box, it would be more expensive but I wouldn't actually prefer it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

DaviddesJ wrote:
fede689 wrote:
If all that matters were that you had something flat on the table were to put your stuff on, printed 75 gsm paper sheets would do just the same.

That wouldn't be the same for me, because that could tear or crease over time. Anything sturdy enough not to do that is fine with me.

You could put a giant metal plate in the box, it would be more expensive but I wouldn't actually prefer it.

I think you answered your own question. If it is flimsy enough to significantly increase the risk of tears or creases (or other similar damage) then it is too flimsy.

We may agree overall though. As long as it is not prone to warping, scratches, tearing, creases, and other damage from normal play then thinner/lighter is probably preferable to thicker/heavier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horus83 wrote:
UtterMarcus wrote:
ewok2000 wrote:

Same here. It's a shame.
And cubes are cheap.

I actually like the cubes and the wooden components with the stickers as well. Guess we just have different taste

Exactly we have different taste,
Cubes are made of light plastic, I want to touch my game, feel the wood or glass or stone, not the plastic
"There is a physical pleasure in manipulating the components of a board game"
and a great game deserve to have great components.

Cubes are the same from Sneaks and Snitches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Abella
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

DaviddesJ wrote:
fede689 wrote:

I think you answered your own question. If it is flimsy enough to significantly increase the risk of tears or creases (or other similar damage) then it is too flimsy.

We may agree overall though. As long as it is not prone to warping, scratches, tearing, creases, and other damage from normal play then thinner/lighter is probably preferable to thicker/heavier.

Exactly. No one is asking for heavier boards just 'cos you like carrying your game in a cart everywhere.

But when flimsy, or thin, or whatever you want to call it translates into a board that is more prone to wear and tear than you'd expect (which seems to be the overall complain about the quality of cardboard in the game, and not the weight itself), then that's when you start to worry.

All in all, we're talking about the same thing. Good quality, lasting boards. The boards people have seen at Essen haven't really hit the mark with people in that respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's disappointing to hear. I wish they had made a deluxe edition, with premium components. To me, I want heavier cardboard, I hate light and cheap feeling playing boards. Damn. Still will buy the game of course, but fingers crossed there is a "deluxe" edition somewhere down the line...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like my boards to be 1" thick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quinnox wrote:
Well, that's disappointing to hear. I wish they had made a deluxe edition, with premium components. To me, I want heavier cardboard, I hate light and cheap feeling playing boards. Damn. Still will buy the game of course, but fingers crossed there is a "deluxe" edition somewhere down the line...

Now that they have it "tuned" I expect a deluxe edition. Perhaps Kickstarted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Beite Løken
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've heard from the producers, this edition is already supposed to be a "deluxe edition", given that there is so much new art. But I wish the new boards were thicker, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game.

All the boards in the game other than the four player boards are on very good quality cardstock. The four player boards are on thinner card, but still perfectly OK.

I don't know what this fuss is about...

Regardless, I'm going to cover all my boards with sticky-back plastic (which I do for all my games, to avoid damage from people spilling stuff on them!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
If a publisher is trying to cut costs / weight I'd much rather it be on the insert than the components. Everyone is just going to have to throw the insert away anyway once an expansion is published. I just don't understand why publishers spend so much time on fancy inserts when bags work much better in most cases (exception being nearly pure card games like Dominion etc). I suspect the reason the player boards are thin is so that they could jam them into the box with the useless insert (I've not seen the game yet so cannot speak to how tight the box is, I'm just guessing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
If a publisher is trying to cut costs / weight I'd much rather it be on the insert than the components. Everyone is just going to have to throw the insert away anyway once an expansion is published. I just don't understand why publishers spend so much time on fancy inserts when bags work much better in most cases (exception being nearly pure card games like Dominion etc). I suspect the reason the player boards are thin is so that they could jam them into the box with the useless insert (I've not seen the game yet so cannot speak to how tight the box is, I'm just guessing).

They supposedly made this insert so that it could include the expansion cards. We shall see. I generally agree though. It is a rare situation in which the insert doesn't get tossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

Maybe you missed the post where the publisher talked about how the insert was thoughtfully designed to accommodate the cards with or without sleeves, as well as the expansion? You're making some awfully broad generalizations here.

ninja'ed!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.