Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JS Bragg
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...what would everyone think of a Legacy version of DoW? The Legacy concept seems cool...and with this...talk about survival! Kodiak Colby died? Ok...shred his stand-up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shredding Kodiak Colby's standee?

Real men go and feed it to a real life bear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Davis
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if legacy would work. What makes DoW great is the random traitor. What makes Legacy games great is the story and continuity, which I don't think you can have with random objectives. I'd be impressed if they ever pulled off both at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with the random traitor element, it would be tough to do this sort of thing with Dead of Winter.

However, another title that used the crossroads system and had a team working together for a common goal could be interesting. Though what I love about DoW is the tension created by those secret goals...so I don't know.

As a side note, I'm convinced Kodiak Colby's standee is indestructible anyway. It's too manly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played dead of Winter fully cooperative (2-player) and I must say, it wasn't a bad experience. I think they could expand on that for a legacy-type game.

jospanther wrote:
As a side note, I'm convinced Kodiak Colby's standee is indestructible anyway. It's too manly.

I've heard talk on the streets that it's made from condensed testosterone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could still do this with random objectives.

At the end of each game, only reveal your objective if you completed it. Otherwise, keep it secret for the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CloudBuilder wrote:
What makes Legacy games great is the story and continuity, which I don't think you can have with random objectives.

Well... I think you're thinking of campaign games. In Risk Legacy, you get a new faction every time, and almost everything is reset between games; there's no story, and not much continuity.

Using that as a model, you might have:
- permanent damage/changes to locations on the map
- permanent damage/changes to characters, including dead characters permanently removed or shuffling around the board as named zombies
- permanent changes to some items

Packets opened during play might include new locations & item decks, new survivors, and new... complications (fast zombies, tough zombies, now the zombies are ON FIRE, etc.).

Each play through the game could be one winter, and the reason things seem to mostly reset between games is that the colony mostly disperses during the spring & summer.

Seems like it could be pretty cool, cooler than Pandemic Legacy, ha ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picture going over to a friend's house to play their copy of Dead of Winter Legacy and saying things like, "You still have sniper rifles?? Lucky! And your Sparky hasn't had puppies yet? Oops, spoiler."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heheh. Puppies. laugh

The traitor could be reduced to a slow burn. Instead of destroying the colony, player's objectives could be designed to subtly conflict. Or, as packets are opened over the campaign, a player's objectives could slowly change over the course of the game, culminating at the last game of the legacy. This would make the game more "programmed", but that's how the game works after each player receives his objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.