8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Lord of the Rings Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is about a bazillion million LotR games out theresauron. I know I want one of them but what one? I was thinking of the "Lord of the Rings" game cos I mainly play wif my ladyfriend, what do the others have to offer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several choices.

1) War of the Ring from Fantasy Flight is the best simulation of the War of the Ring, but it's a big game and has a fair amount of rules for a Euro. It may be intimidating.

2) Then there's the Fantasy Flight Lord of the Rings cooperative game. I've never played it, so I can't comment on the game play. Because it's a cooperative game, it's all the players against the game system. So, if you like playing a game against your girl friend, it won't work. If she's not much into confrontation, this might be a good choice. I would guess the game would play better with more players than 2 though.

3) Lord of the Rings the Confrontation is, as one would guess, confrontational. It plays very quickly and is challenging, because you're trying to figure out what the other person is doing. It's also designed explicitly for 2 players, so this may be a good fit for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eejit,

You're right - there are many LotR (and "The Hobbit") themed games. To help give you a good recommendation, tell us what you're looking for: A wargame w/miniatures, a shorter game that's more abstract/deals more with the Fellowship vice the war, a cooperative game, a collectable card game, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My impressions:

1.) Lord of the Rings - a cooperative game, all players against the game - very fun and engaging (and often tense) if you don't mind how story elements have been translated to a board game. (Be careful you don't get the children's LotR game by the same author.)

2.) Lord of the Rings: Confrontation - if you know the boardgame Stratego, this is a more advanced (and much better) version of that...with only 9 pieces per side...and each piece has a special ability.

3.) Risk: Lord of the Rings - this is pretty good if you enjoy Risk. The problem is that there are better Risk games out there (especially 2210.) But if you know Risk and you've never played one of the "modern" Risk games (2210, Star Wars, Godstorm), this is a nice step up.

4.) War of the Ring - Have not played, but I think it's essentially a cross between Risk and a wargame. Each side is much more specialized than in LotR: Risk. Many people at this site like this game a lot.

If your lady friend is not into conflict, and can deal with the tension, then #1 is the obvious choice. If she's OK duking it out with you, then any of these are fine choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recomment these 2

Quote:
1.) Lord of the Rings - a cooperative game, all players against the game - very fun and engaging (and often tense) if you don't mind how story elements have been translated to a board game. (Be careful you don't get the children's LotR game by the same author.)

2.) Lord of the Rings: Confrontation - if you know the boardgame Stratego, this is a more advanced (and much better) version of that...with only 9 pieces per side...and each piece has a special ability.

The first if you want a co-op game, the second if you want direct conflict, or...get 'em both.

I play them both with my girlfriend frequrntly.

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:

4.) War of the Ring - Have not played, but I think it's essentially a cross between Risk and a wargame. Each side is much more specialized than in LotR: Risk. Many people at this site like this game a lot.

Not this againshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klages
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends what sort of games your ladyfriend is into. On a more 'mainstream' level I'd recommend Trivial Pursuit: LOTR edition, Monopoly: LOTR or Stratego: LOTR. But you know her better than any of us would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mac and Me: When creature design forgets it's a kids movie.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think the Lord of the Rings: Trading Card Game is a really fun game.

Although one might be put off by the fact its a tradeable/collectible game, you can easily get new booster boxes of sets for as low as $30-$40 for the newest couple releases; however, if you go back to year old releases and beyond expect to get a booster box (36 packs) for $8-$11 (except for Seige of Gondor; it's uber rare and very spendy).

It's been going since 2001 and quite a few friends of mine are into it.
Basically every year in the fall, there's a 300+ card "base set" then two more times through the year, two, 150 card expanisons. Each release also yields two starter decks that give you everything you need to start as well as a few random rares and some exclusive premium cards. They also do things called anthologies were after a years cycle of cards, they release 15 cards (mostly rares) reprinted with the Tengwar "alphabet." Added to this you generally get 1 random starter deck and a few boosters of each release from that year.

So far there have been four anthology releases.

There has also been a special non-standard release, Reflections, which added some killer new cards to the game; 2 in each pack, along with a random assortment of cards from the first six releases; you very often get 2 random rares from older sets in each pack; this is an excellent way to build up a collection of good cards from the original releases. These booster boxes (24 packs, I believe 15 cards per pack) are really cheap too, averaging $12 a box.

For the most part every release has been solid with a few notable exceptions: Realms of the Elf Lords; the second "expansion" in the game, never had much going for it. Black Rider, a more recent "expansion" that suffered from a lot of older card reprints as well as devaluing a few older rares by making them uncommons.

I've played it since 2001/2002 and have gotten back into it now that Decipher is back on track after the Black Rider slip up.

Just some food for thought, if you wanted a board game alternative that still feels like Lord of the Rings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.