11 Posts

Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game really 90 minutes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the length if so, it's just a matter of getting my group to do it, because they think an hour long game is long or too long... Trying to get them used to longer ish games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played the 2nd edition, but this game is actually very fast. With 4 experienced players, you can probably finish in under an hour.

It's a game that speeds up near then end. As you get closer to the latter rounds, your amount of options lowers, so turn time should technically be faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Five players playing the first edition at a relaxed pace take 70min to finish. Click for the video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On our one play through with three of us it was finished in under an hour. It moves fast because it's a really light game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group tends to be slow players but we tried to finish our second game (1st edition, 5 players) in an hour and came pretty close.

So I'd say first game is probably 90ish minutes as everyone is learning but subsequent games should be faster.

The hardest part (selecting your role for the turn, not actually very hard) is done by everyone simultaneously so you can keep things moving with a timer or by applying peer pressure when a person or two is still contemplating once everyone else is ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everybody!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kash
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game will be over an hour, once people get familiar with the cards it will go faster. Also the number of players affects time as each person has to resolve their cards and some people may be slower deciding what to do.
Id say:
3 players = at least 45 minutes
4-5 players = at least 1 hour
6 players = over an hour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Gatterer
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I understand where you are coming from. I sometimes play games with my non-gamer friends who do think that 90 min is too long for a game lol.

However I taught and played a 5 player game of the second edition to them in 65 minutes. It's easy to teach and the game plays very fast. Turns went by in a snap. I expect that it would go even faster with experienced gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hexagonal Crank
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first 4 player game the other day went 60 minutes on the nose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I have the game, I feel like it goes by so quick. 5 rounds, then three, and the last two are just not enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Wong
msg tools
I've played this game with 5 players just the other day, and it came in under 90 minutes including the rules explanation. It was everyone's first play, except me, it was my second, so I'm not exactly perfect at explaining the rules either. I can definitely see this game being <60 minutes after the first play-through if everyone remembers the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.