Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CONTEST READY (I hope!) rules updated...
I have another one!

I'll introduce you to:

And a link to the files: (this is version A, scroll down for the newest version)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1444r4ge1puvdm/PlanAheaD_vA.pdf?d...

This is from an old Apple BASIC game- the game has to be nearly 30 years old. I still have the source code somewhere- I think... I translated it into PASCAL when I was in college...for fun....

This is for 2 players. Here's the basic rules:
Quote:
SETUP: Remove the ROW and COLUMN cards. Shuffle the remaining 16 cards and deal them face-down into a 4x4 grid. Each player chooses a single card and turns it over. High card goes first. That player (Player 1) chooses which way they will make their opponent play- ROW or COLUMN, and takes the corresponding card. Flip the rest of the cards face up.
PLAY: Player 1 (we’ll say they chose ROW) chooses a number on the grid. They take the card and replace it with their ROW card. Player 2 must now choose a card on that row. Like Player 1, they choose a card on that row and replace it with their COLUMN card. Player 1 must now choose their next card from that column. They choose their card and replace it with their ROW card.
ENDING: Play continues in this fashion until all cards are taken. Each player totals up the value of their chosen cards. The highest total is the winner of that round. Play 3 more rounds (alternating starting player) for a complete game. Highest total after 4 rounds would be the overall winner.
STRATEGY: It is possible to “lock” a game where there are no valid moves. That is something to “Plan Ahead” for- it may be wise to end a round sooner than later.

Again, there's really no artwork. Everything was done manipulating the fonts in Word.

So, let me know if there's things to clear up in the rules. I've made the rules in this game (and my other at: {WIP} Find the Exit- 2015 18 card contest (Contest Ready!)) have a folding rulebook. Then the cards can just be held inside the rules with a paperclip...

And do let me know if you ended up in a "stuck" game. (Remember, that may be intentional!)

And anything else that pops into your head...

Thanks!!!

[EDIT 10-23-15]: Here's "version B" for those of you interested:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ew8l7sunzdpgoyn/PlanAheaD_vB.pdf?d...

The only real change is in the rules- I took the variation out and added 'strategy' where intentionally locking a game might be a good thing. I also added that several rounds should be played, giving each player a turn to go first (like tic-tac-toe, going first has advantages)

Thanks again for looking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Re: {WIP} Plan Ahead for the [18-card game contest]
Just reading the rules, I'm wondering why you'd pick a high card from a face-down grid to start? You're simply determining a random starting player, right?
I think it'd be easier just to draw two cards (highest goes first), then shuffle and immediately deal a face-up grid. Just seems easier to do a shuffle then to flip all those cards over.

Come to think of it, you could even do without the shuffle:
One player deals. Other player chooses Even or Odd. Deal first card of grid; if other player guessed right they start otherwise dealer starts. Continue dealing rest of grid.

Just my 0.02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theoratically it's possible to end up in a stucked game, for example if the cards are taken in this order:

5 6
1 2
4 3
8 7

You should add this case in the rules. The 2 obvious solutions for me are: Either the game ends before all cards are taken or the other player is allowed to take any card left.

And another idea pops up my mind (I haven't tried your game so feel free to ignore it): Maybe the game gets more interesting if the cards are not just numbers you add up as it's pretty simple to calculate the value of each card. I'm thinking of half of the cards have gems on it (2 saphires, 1 ruby plus 2 diamonds,...) and the other half of the cards have some variable values (1 point for each ruby you have, 5 points if you have more saphires than diamonds,...).

Concerning the Variation: It seems like this variation turns the game into a complete random thing without a single decision. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MartinWin wrote:
Theoratically it's possible to end up in a stucked game, for example if the cards are taken in this order:

5 6
1 2
4 3
8 7

You should add this case in the rules. The 2 obvious solutions for me are: Either the game ends before all cards are taken or the other player is allowed to take any card left.

Concerning the Variation: It seems like this variation turns the game into a complete random thing without a single decision. Am I missing something?

Yes- it's possible but hasn't come up yet for me (which is why I asked). It's more likely to come up with an odd number- a 5x5 grid for example.

And yes, the variation turns it into almost all luck. I threw it in simply as a variation...

MartinWin wrote:

And another idea pops up my mind (I haven't tried your game so feel free to ignore it): Maybe the game gets more interesting if the cards are not just numbers you add up as it's pretty simple to calculate the value of each card. I'm thinking of half of the cards have gems on it (2 saphires, 1 ruby plus 2 diamonds,...) and the other half of the cards have some variable values (1 point for each ruby you have, 5 points if you have more saphires than diamonds,...).

Now THAT'S a cool idea...!!! I'm going to have to work with that one... Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
khendrix wrote:
Just reading the rules, I'm wondering why you'd pick a high card from a face-down grid to start? You're simply determining a random starting player, right?
I think it'd be easier just to draw two cards (highest goes first), then shuffle and immediately deal a face-up grid. Just seems easier to do a shuffle then to flip all those cards over.

Correct. Since all the cards eventually get flipped face-up, this was an easy way to pick "Player 1"...
khendrix wrote:

Come to think of it, you could even do without the shuffle:
One player deals. Other player chooses Even or Odd. Deal first card of grid; if other player guessed right they start otherwise dealer starts. Continue dealing rest of grid.

Just my 0.02

That works too... I'll play with some of that and Martin's ideas... Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-important update...

I just received W. Eric Martin's new Piecepack game- The Infinite Board Game (is that here on BGG somewhere?) and I'm going to be making a piecepack version of this game. Mostly just because.

It will mean I'll use A-5 of three coins and a null of the fourth suit. I can use the Arms die to indicate the up/down, and the Crown to indicate left/right.

If I get some rules written up, I'll hit up one of the piecepack boards and post there. And yes, one of the items I'm thinking of is some modifier based on the number of coins of the same suit you obtain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.