Popular Tags: [View All]
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy today and I'm going to have to do a little bit of work to get the small arrow working correctly. The magnet in the board appears to be upside down compared to the magnet in the board for the large arrow. Whenever either arm is over the magnet for the train speed indicator, it wants to either stand straight up or scoots outward so the magnets (board and arm magnets) are edge to edge. If I flip over the arm it sort of works, but the magnet isn't strong enough to lock it down tightly through the cardboard. It should be an easy fix by just cutting the magnet off the small arm (carefully) and flipping it over and re-gluing it to the arm with the correct pole facing downward.

Not complaining, mostly just informing anyone else who might have the same problem with their magnets inside the board.

(Also posted this in the Kickstarter Page comments section).

EDIT: My DIY Fix
My fix was easy. I took a razor, a flat razor, not an Exacto Knife or anything goofy, a plain old fashion razor, and carefully worked it in between the glue and the cardboard on the arrow that had the magnet that was not working correctly.

Working it in about 1/8" and then going around the edges so I had separated the magnet from the cardboard in a circle around the edge, I then slowly pushed the razor through the center part that was still glued and the magnet came off nice and clean with no damage at all to the cardboard on the arrow.

I cleaned off the magnet a little to get some of the glue off the one side. I then applied Cardboard Glue (You can buy this at crafting stores that have Scrapbooking stuff) to the arrow, and mounted the magnet upside down from how it had been glued onto the arrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
I just received my copy today and I'm going to have to do a little bit of work to get the small arrow working correctly. The magnet in the board appears to be upside down compared to the magnet in the board for the large arrow. Whenever either arm is over the magnet for the train speed indicator, it wants to either stand straight up or scoots outward so the magnets (board and arm magnets) are edge to edge. If I flip over the arm it sort of works, but the magnet isn't strong enough to lock it down tightly through the cardboard. It should be an easy fix by just cutting the magnet off the small arm (carefully) and flipping it over and re-gluing it to the arm with the correct pole facing downward.

Not complaining, mostly just informing anyone else who might have the same problem with their magnets inside the board.

Message me your shipping and backer name and we'll send a replacement arrow immediately. If it's the board we'll replace that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The magnet on my small arrow doesn't really work well either, but it's hard to tell if it's the arrow or board. The large arrow sticks on both magnets of the board, but it's hard to tell because that magnet is so large.

I'll maybe try the DIY thing first and see if it's easy to just flip the arrow's magnet and re-glue but if I have any issues I'll let you know as well.

Thanks for being so responsive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mkrajew wrote:
The magnet on my small arrow doesn't really work well either, but it's hard to tell if it's the arrow or board. The large arrow sticks on both magnets of the board, but it's hard to tell because that magnet is so large.

I'll maybe try the DIY thing first and see if it's easy to just flip the arrow's magnet and re-glue but if I have any issues I'll let you know as well.

Thanks for being so responsive!

As I said in the KS page I have provisions set aside for my backers for this very cause. It's quite common for even the best of manufacturers to have around 5-10% defects in the total order. Just part of the business. Don't be shy, if you guys ever need a replacement part email me at: towerguardgames@gmail.com

We have copies with the polarities the proper way up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrGlubGlub wrote:
Murr wrote:

Message me your shipping and backer name and we'll send a replacement arrow immediately. If it's the board we'll replace that too.

Thank you, but my fix worked fine, so that's one less part you have to worry about replacing. I'm not shy about emailing publishers about missing parts at all, just ask Rio Grande games who I've emailed twice this month for replacement parts for games that I got in trades that were new in shrink, and over 10 years old!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried your fix as well, and I got the magnet off the arrow and confirmed that the "sticky" side stuck to both magnets in the board. But I had a hard time getting the glue off the magnet from the small arrow so I'm hesitant to flip it over because I don't want that glue residue to get on the board.

So Sean, I'm going to mail you my address to get a replacement. Thanks. But Murr, I'm glad it worked for you! I'm also glad I took off the magnet to confirm whether it was the arrow or the board that I need to get replaced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue with the magnets is that there are 2 of them per pointer (someone forgot his physics). One magnet plus one ferromagnetic (steel) disc would have been fine. The magnets inside the board are quite strong (neodym, I guess). I repaired the situation by short-cutting the board magnets with simple iron washers and let the weaker magnets on the pointers do the work. Alternatively one could replace the pointer magnets with washers, this would give a much stronger adhesion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.