Subject: Boggle ~ Deranged Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaiser Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Welcome to the review! Criticism is welcome - bitching isn't .

Remembering the classic tv-game from my youth, I decided to hang on to this game when I found it in a lot. It's a real old version, although I must admit I haven't checked the publising year.

I'll be giving grades on several aspects of the game, which are hopefully self explanatory .

The Game Itself: Family Word Game
You search for words in a 4x4 letter grid. Most words win.

ART
- What art? The box looks nice (the example game on the front cleverly uses the words "taxi" and "hotel", which are the same in many (all?)languages.) The game itself is artless, and frankly, it doesn't need any.

EASE
- Anyone who can string three letters together can play this game. It's easy, and good for your words collection vocabulary!

FLEXIBILITY
- Well, the letters are different each time, so you can keep on hunting for new words. While the game does not change, the board changes completely - and for a game of this simplicity it has a tremendous amount of replayability. It is, however, completely devoid of strategy, tactics and/or options - so gameplayflexibility is . I know, you can start singing or asking questions, but I was considering INgame strategy .

FUN
- The hunt goes ever on... seven letter words get you a respectful nod, anything longer than that net you some serious cred.

COMPONENTS
- It's a REALLY sturdy plastic box with wooden cubes. It's built to last, and it will!

Pro's
Very nearly anyone can play this game, and it seats as many people as can see the box.
Every game is different.
You can easily play multiple games in a row without getting bored.
You can use the dice in other games, or to create random names for characters and cities in your RPG.
You can use the dice to spell all sorts of wacky words . "Will you marry me" is two letters short, but "theboardgamegeek" fits perfectly.

Not my idea, all cedit goes to "Program Terminated" .

Con's
One of the players got confused between the I and L (IIRC) and got rather frustrated that so many words were apparently illegal.
Sometimes, some players really dominate the game, making it less fun for the remaining players (In our games, this was me, but I have to be honest and include it).

End result:

It's easy and fast! Well, people who check my game collection might notice a common theme there. I like replayability, and following promising lines to form words. I like this game (a lot) and will probably play it often, but I'd hesitate to bring it to a gamenight. Family night, however? Bring it!

googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.