Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Locke
United States
Clinton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my Youtube Channel: Board Games UnLocked!
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your thoughts of a board game that has us destroy components and almost makes it to where you can't play the game again?

This would be the first time I've played a game like this and it's cool but also bothers me for how expensive the game is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Manning
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're amazing, they make the game more unique. There aren't many games I have that ever play more than 12 (max 24) times, so I don't see the downside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goodnuff
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Playing Risk Legacy was the best board gaming experience I have ever had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the Legacy games enjoyable but I've not had to purchase one yet so it doesn't "hurt" as much to rip up stuff, etc. Both Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy are interesting twists to the game as you build the "world" so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Locke
United States
Clinton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I just played January last night and just because the game carries over, having us do everything in our power to win and actually winning was one of the best gaming experiences that I've had. There was cheering and high fiving...maybe some tears.

It was great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
How many of the games that you buy for $60 will you play 15-20 times? I would guess very few. So the idea of destroying things for an expensive game is not relevant here, when doing that is what makes the experience of this particular game (and Risk:Legacy) so interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary G
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I look at it as an RPG adventure.
The vivid 'main' background story is there.
But YOU are the cast.
YOU are making the decisions.
YOU are making the changes.

Sure I can play 'base' Pandemic another half a hundred times. The initial Infection setup card draw will be different. My random character draw will be different. The teams focus will be different. But everything about the Legacy mechanic is EXCITING to be apart of. The constant feel of WTF that is happening now and/or next keeps everybody on the seat of their pants!

I fully intend on making creative session reports for every Month and framing the board to put in my board game/man cave and repeat with several other different people interested because how I'm explaining the game to them. Sure the initial mystery will be lost on me, but then I get to see the surprise and excitement on the others faces.

The Legacy concept is new to some and all have varying reactions to it. Myself, I worry less about "OMG, money grab!" and more about living an actual adventure around a table with some friends.

So throw the game on the table. Start drawing on it and ripping cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kawai Carvalho
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amazing. totally worth paying for the experience. loving this game and really liked risk legacy as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias T
Germany
flag msg tools
You found my uncreative, hidden message. I will put something smart here once I had enough coffee. There is never enough coffee...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at it from the price/hours entertainment value (which is ultimately useless but fun for comparison):

You get at least 12 plays, the box says they are about 60 minutes each, so at least 12h of entertainment.

You pay $60.

That is $5/h of entertainment even less if you play slowly or don't win every game.
And you can share that experience with three other people without added cost so less than $1.25/h/person. I can think of very few other group activities (you have to pay for) which are cheaper.

Also with this offering a unique experience it will probally be more valuble as a memory for you and your group than the 200th game of $7 love letter (not to bash love letter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic was one of my wife and i's first game purchase. We played a bunch but ultimately after many plays got bored with how it's basically mostly a puzzle after the first epidemic. I've only played through January, and so far I find this to be a big improvement to the original game by having the game evolve. Made decisions harder and that is only because you know from the rules certain things will happen if outbreaks occur etc (not a spoiler it's in the rulebook). What's of even more interest is what happens later. What other rules will change and affect the game. So I do think it's a little expensive but so far the game experience has been great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian V
United States
Lebanon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this for my wife for her birthday. She's a big fan of Pandemic but we'd grown tired of the base game.

After 4 games of Legacy (and her cringing painfully when we ripped up our first card), she's proclaiming this her new favorite game - it's been that amazing an experience so far.

One (spoiler-free) example that may illustrate why the Legacy mechanic adds a lot: we lost our very first game, though it was close. Our second game wasn't going well initially and normally (in regular Pandemic) we'd have kind of shrugged and been resigned to a possible loss. This time, we *really* didn't want to lose two games in a row and it felt amazing when we were able to pull out a victory.

The stakes being heightened combined with all the fun new surprises as we go along have made it one of the best board gaming experiences we've had. We both can't stop talking about hoe excited we are to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Locke
United States
Clinton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cringed as well when I ripped up my first card but it was exciting too!

Breaking it down mathematically has it make a lot more sense considering it took my friends and I around 2 hours to play the first month because we were almost going to lose but sat there for 30 minutes trying to figure out how to win.

If it was just Pandemic, we probably would've given up because we could always pack up and play again. But the Legacy part has us actually care about winning or losing.

I agree with all of you on your opinions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished April with my wife, and this is currently sitting as one of my favorite games. We've already decided that we'll probably buy a 2nd copy of this to keep and break out with a group in a few years, because it has been amazing so far. I really wish I had bullied a couple of my friends in to giving it a try despite their hesitation to commit to a campaign-style game. I feel like I did them a disservice and that they are truly missing out on gaming magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.