Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have my first 8 player game planned and want to add an additional SC as so many others do, Prospect being the one that gets most mentions. I don't use Leaders though which weakens the card slightly.

In this thread I saw the idea of an Acadamy card mentioned, which essentially augments Prospect; you get to add a leader each time it's taken.
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/542874/twilight-imperium-thi...
I like the idea of an SC which deals with something separate from all the others.

Is this likely to be reasonably balanced and attractive?
eg,
Academy
Place one leader on the board (remember I don't play with leaders, so only the players taking this card would have leaders in play). Chosen leaders must fit those usually gained by your race, eg Hacan = General, Scientist, Diplomat, and if killed they cannot be replaced so no Agent spamming.

or take 1 AC and 2 TGs (as per prospect)

No secondary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you allow a strategy card for allowing the optional leaders into play.

Not too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Sunmachine wrote:
Place one leader on the board (remember I don't play with leaders, so only the players taking this card would have leaders in play). Chosen leaders must fit those usually gained by your race, eg Hacan = General, Scientist, Diplomat, and if killed they cannot be replaced so no Agent spamming.

As a side note, I would try to keep rules and rationale (eg "so no Agent spamming") separate.

I think it would be easier to require people to take one of their empire's actual leaders. If all three are out, too bad. This naturally limits the supply of specific leader types.

It doesn't then seem necessary to prevent them returning when killed. Players can't build up a reserve of Agents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, David. That's what I intend to do, even if I didn't make it clear in my post.

So
Academy SC#9
Choose either a or b) and perform the secondary for free.
a) Place one leader, accessible to your race, on the board.
b) Take 1 AC and 2 TG

I doubt anyone would take the b option, except when they have maxed out leaders.

Secondary
Reassignment - as per the Prospect card, at the cost of 1 Resource.

In essence this card would function like Trade III, but instead of gaining mercs you get a leader (I don't typically use mercs either).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Sunmachine wrote:
Secondary
Reassignment - as per the Prospect card, at the cost of 1 Resource.

Oh, good. I forgot to suggest making option b) into a secondary. A card with no secondary is strong because of the way it denies options to your opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pratt
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider making the secondary cost influence rather than resources.

Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leifr wrote:
So you allow a strategy card for allowing the optional leaders into play.

Not too bad.

We start with only one leader of your choice and the rest come in via SC#9
also allows dead ambassadors to return to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.