Popular Tags: [View All]
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It had been a while since our last game of Cosmic Encounter, and we had two new players, so we decided to go all green. I got the choice of either General or Warrior, and settled for the latter. Other aliens in the star system were Pygmy, Sapient, Vacuum and Zombie.

I ended up with a bunch of cards in the range of 04-09 and two Negotiate. Hardly stellar, but with a bunch of allies I was still able to get a colony and a half on my first turn. With my Warrior power slowly growing, things were looking up.
At this time, Pygmy, Sapient and Zombie started pulling ahead with a set of alliances, only for Vacuum to blast into the lead when he got his own super flare. As it turned out, he also had the Parasite flare, so he tried his hardest to strip away home colonies.

To my great dismay, I became the target of this harsh tactic, keeping me around 1 colony while the rest of the players fought for the victory. A mobius tube almost brought me back, but once my own super flare got Zapped I turned into another free colony for Vacuum.

In the end, an alliance between Pygmy and Vacuum sealed the deal. At first, we missed the round down part in Pygmy’s power, and thought that Vacuum won at 5.5 to 5.
Considering the amount of fun we had at that phoney half point victory, we’ll let it stand.

Note to self: Spend more time reading the Alien Powers carefully before each game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dust Buster - a Pygmy Vacuum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacuum's super flare is one of the strongest supers, I think. The combo with parasite flare seems awesome. Sounds like a great game!
Just one thing, even if the vacuum would have 5.5 colonies it wouldn't make him the sole winner. The victory condition is getting to 5 colonies, not having more colonies than the others. Even if someone gets to 6 colonies (by gaining two colonies at once, for example by defeating someone's 3rd home colony and then playing parasite flare) while someone else gets 5 they are both winners. You can consider one "more victorious" than the other, but that's already a metagame issue (like how some players consider solo victory "better than" joint victory).
Anyways I think the pygmy player deserves some recognition for getting into the winning team with that strong combo being in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Older Nick wrote:
Note to self everyone: Spend more time reading the Alien Powers carefully before each game!

Fixed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.