Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: (what are) The cardinal rules of Netrunner (and when to break them) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Still pretty new, but I hear bits like "Never run on the last click" or "Never drop below 4 cards when playing against Jinteki", etc. So I wanted to start this as a place for more experienced players to give us new people some insight and suggestions.

What 'cardinal rules' of Netrunner are you familiar with?

What ones do you suggest to new players?

And when do you break/suggest breaking those rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't run last click
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Always be running!

Don't be afraid to bluff out a naked agenda every now and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Stinchcomb
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to spend clicks to draw on your turn, do that before anything else. With exceptions for Priority events, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do what is unexpected. Don't not do something just because it's "convention" maybe sometime that's the best reason to do it.

Corp doesn't expect you to run last click, so they spend their money on their ice click 3.

Obviously the challenge is knowing when to take a risk and when to play it safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Corp should run 49 cards unless they can run 44.
Runner should always run minimum deck size.

When evaluating the effectiveness of an economy card, always remember to include the cost to draw it (or replace it, however you want to look at it).

Always monitor your opponent's wealth. It's much harder to climb back up from 0 credits than to maintain 5+ credits, so if your opponent goes broke, take risks and be aggressive.

Don't assume the Corp will never throw an agenda into Archives.

When playing against Weyland, always have a plan for dealing with Scorched Earth or Punitive Counterstrike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This goes along with "don't be afraid to face-check ICE."

As the runner, don't install expensive solutions to problems you don't have yet.

I was playing an introductory (core set) game with a friend, and I watched him spend five credits to install Battering Ram. I hadn't rezzed a barrier yet, and, in fact, I didn't wind up drawing one the whole game. But paying for that card put him a turn behind for the rest of the game.

Cheap solutions are fine--Faerie, Corroder, etc. And if an expensive icebreaker is part of your deck's central strategy (e.g. Torch in a Kit deck), that might be okay. But don't build a big rig until you need a big rig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"I'm here on a mission of mercy from Mitch and Murray. If you can't break it with a Parasite, then you're %$#@ and hit the bricks, pal!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
Don't run last click

Unless you've got balls.

Really though, the never run last click rule is foolishness. It comes primarily from a fear of getting tagged and set up for a Scorch kill. Usually the scariest thing is a Snare! for that. So run last click if the corp has less than 4 credits.

Or if you think you can win.

Or if you think they're going to win.

Or if you have your breaker suite and a fair amount of credits

Or if all their ice is rezzed and you can break it

Or if you have a plastcrete or an I've had worse and 5 cards in hand

Really if you aren't afraid (and you shouldn't be) to die, then run last click.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Epimer
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Try to access cards with at least 4 credits left, or NAPD Contract will make you cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jardy koning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
No matter how much you might want to. No matter how sweet you think the payoff might be. Don't install that Monolith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play NEH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
N7teslapunk wrote:
No matter how much you might want to. No matter how sweet you think the payoff might be. Don't install that Monolith.

Filth and lies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ron heuvel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dont forget to hit kati !

(i forget her so often, my complete meta is remininding me every other turn now )

I Dont get that whole last click business.
Unless theres a reasonable chance its a snare, i dont see the problem :?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dengue wrote:
jkayati wrote:
Don't run last click

Unless you've got balls.

Really though, the never run last click rule is foolishness. It comes primarily from a fear of getting tagged and set up for a Scorch kill. Usually the scariest thing is a Snare! for that. So run last click if the corp has less than 4 credits.

Or if you think you can win.

Or if you think they're going to win.

Or if you have your breaker suite and a fair amount of credits

Or if all their ice is rezzed and you can break it

Or if you have a plastcrete or an I've had worse and 5 cards in hand

Really if you aren't afraid (and you shouldn't be) to die, then run last click.

Fair enough perhaps, but one should consider how likely it is that the corp can do someting to get creds quickly and still have clicks left to make you regret making that run. Don't run last click is sound advice I think, generally. But of course, like most other stuff in this game it is highly situational.

More importantly I think, is to accept as a runner that you will take damage and lose cards. Just make sure you can recover from losing the "good stuff". So if there is something you absolutely can't do without, make sure you intall it first. Then go be reckless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Things that allow you to get resources out in a hurry are good.

Watch their credits before you face-check: If they install ICE over HQ and R&D and then click for a credit, the second worst thing they can Rez is Komainu. The worst is a Merlin (with two more in hand.) If it's Grim, hey! No programs!

I've won about half my games just through facechecking with no breakers.

I've lost about half my games just through facechecking with no breakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron E.
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
This is fine!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never assume you're just getting unlucky with accesses if you're not hitting agendas. Always remember that if you're not seeing them in r & d, they're likely somewhere else.

Never discount the importance of information you receive when you access a non agenda card like a piece of ice or operation. Remember what cards you accessed and try to keep track of where they might get installed. Whenever I play someone new they're always amazed that I know which breakers to install when. It's because I know which ice you're drawing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
N7teslapunk wrote:

LIES!!! LIES AND FALSEHOODS!!!! MONOLITH 4 EVA!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
N7teslapunk wrote:

Filth and lies!

Dammit, CommissarFeesh beat me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's better to hit a trap than to allow the corp to score an agenda. If they install it, you should probably check it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
It's better to hit a trap than to allow the corp to score an agenda. If they install it, you should probably check it.

I think this is more game-state dependent. Did they Mushin it out? How many times have they Mushined out cards? How many agenda points do you have vs. how many do they have? What server did they put it in? Is the ICE already rezzed?

I guess if you are worried about Junebugs you can always just draw up and go after it. But if it's AggSec, you could be giving the Corp a massive scoring window while you dig for more breakers if you still even can. If it's Shattered Remains and you have something like a Stealth rig, that could hurt even worse if they can recur it somehow and gradually pick off your recurring credits. Or it could be Plan B and you just gave them a 3/2 right out of HQ.

Granted, I've only been at this game for about 6 months, but I just don't think it's as simple as 'run all cards with advancement tokens.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:

Yes.. Yes.. run on my Mushin+advance Cerebral Overwriter! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dengue wrote:
Really though, the never run last click rule is foolishness. It comes primarily from a fear of getting tagged and set up for a Scorch kill. Usually the scariest thing is a Snare! for that.

Apart from getting tagged, the other big fear is getting damaged into kill range of an EMP (or, for the especially cautious, Ronin). So Snare is doubly scary because it does both.

But yeah, I guess the full recommendation boils down to "don't run last click unless the risk of a flatline is outweighed by the risk of not running." Unfortunately, the difficulty of implementing this advice makes it pretty much the opposite of what the OP is looking for, so treating preventable flatlines as the worst thing that can happen is not a bad approximation for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pay attention to your conditional abilities, specially if they have an infrequent trigger.

(Note to self: REMEMBER THAT LOGOS WHEN THE CORP SCORES!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Aways be lucky with you accesses.

And always pay 2 for the psi game, especially if you are the runner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.