Subject: Heroines - Too much or OK? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a post on reddit that I tend to agree with about the heroines thus far. I think they could be adjusted to be a little less stereotypical big-exposed-breast heroes and be a bit more accommodating.

What do you all think?

Edit: Terrible title, apologies. What I mean is, are the models presented in a way that is too revealing or is it to an acceptable degree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's too bad. Much better than CMON anyways.....
But I am a guy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeroth
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The guy on reddit wants the designers to redo the CAD, the figure prototypes, the art on multiple game pieces, all so he can play it with his 12 year old daughter? I'm sorry but that is just plain stupid. There are tons of other games more appropriate for your child. That's no reason to request something that most people are fine about and would set back the game and is in all likelihood never going to happen due to cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan VanArsdall
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strgzr13 wrote:
The guy on reddit wants the designers to redo the CAD, the figure prototypes, the art on multiple game pieces, all so he can play it with his 12 year old daughter? I'm sorry but that is just plain stupid. There are tons of other games more appropriate for your child. That's no reason to request something that most people are fine about and would set back the game and is in all likelihood never going to happen due to cost.

Totally agree. I have no problem with them. If someone doesn't like them then don't back the project. There are so many games to buy! Choose the right ones for you and/or your family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh. I thought the figures looked fine. I know my daughter wouldn't have any issue playing with any of them, but she does tend to often pick the scantily clad ones in games since they tend to look "cool" to her.

To each their own I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread touched on it:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1415772/auriel-elven-sorcer...

While I'm extremely liberal when it comes to this subject matter, I do agree with the later comments. It'd be nice to have at least some figs where the ladies looked equally prepared to mix it up, and not like they were ambushed while on their way to a night club. Then again, with a title like Sword & Sorcery out of Italy, it's really no surprise.

The fig that bugs me the most is the unnatural twist of Auriel's leg. That kind of pose is typically found in super hero comics and, well, looks comic to me, like someone thought she looked too boring and not sexy enough just standing there getting ready to unleash a magical crap storm on someone. Less ass and more bad ass would be awesome for a change of pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the models are likely to change, but I wish they would. Here's my full thoughts on the matter, for those who care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
They look great to me! Besides, the mini sculpts are done. And the cards, hero mats, & cover illustration art appears to be done. It's not changing at this point. So best to just give it a breast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
When men start to complain about boobs being to big is like cats complaining about milk. She was created this way, killing machine with big immortal soul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What amazes me is that people always complain about the way females are depicted but nobody complains that their childen play with decapitated characters or innards spilling out, with beings full of wounds and with maggots crawling on their skins or characters with all kind of weapons in a game where you have to kill as many enemies as you can...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
Bernado wrote:
What amazes me is that people always complain about the way females are depicted but nobody complains that their childen play with decapitated characters or innards spilling out, with beings full of wounds and with maggots crawling on their skins or characters with all kind of weapons in a game where you have to kill as many enemies as you can...

Very true Salvador, because of this i very carefully pick games when i gift them to my friends kids, i tend to ignore aggressive games with brutal art, you like it or not but games affect kids more than anything. I don't think SS is game for kids by any means
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernado wrote:

That's because we're 'merican. We love our blood, guts, and violence but God help those that let a nipple slip out on TV, that should get you prison time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I was thinking about whether or not some people would be turned off enough by the art/minis so as to be unable to play the game. Seems it isn't a concern for many, but even if we're just talking, I would hope the devs see that there is an audience for more combat ready heroines.

I'm still backing because I think the game itself looks sweet, but I may swap out some minis. We'll see when we get there... which is a while off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sexism seems to be deeply rooted in me , because until now, i never thought a second about how the models are presented. Its not a buy/not buy matter for me, but i too would prefer less boobs and more coolness.

Escpecially with the sorceress. Its not showing too much skin that bugs me, its that the miniature seems to be tilted in an unnatural way just to present herself.

I dont think the models will change, but depending on how the kickstarter runs, i hopefully expect more heroes... lets hope for a female with more clothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rey
msg tools
I'm so happy that people responsible for Kingdom Death: Monster didn't listen to anyone and made fantastic miniatures and heroines for their game. Respect guys !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimflayer wrote:
...Escpecially with the sorceress. Its not showing too much skin that bugs me, its that the miniature seems to be tilted in an unnatural way just to present herself...

If that's what worries you, being a plastic miniature it's very easy to tilt her another way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the question has to be raised, then the answer is almost always "yes".

Edit: And looking closer, yeah, toss both ladies a shirt at the very least, maybe actual pants too. Breasts could be smaller, or at least held up by something other than magic, we can tell a woman from a man by other cues too. The poses are at least ok-ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look fine to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you are the target judging by name alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also love some other female models that are more appropriately attired. I don't think we'll ever get these one re-sculpted, but new ones! Maybe the rest can be better.

And, no I don't have an issue with skin, it's just tiring when it's my only option if I want to play a female.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It wouldn't be a problem if they made scantily clad guys in sexy poses but they never do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
lets keep games straight as last barrier of majority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
mbmbmbmbmb
They look great! Pick up a copy of Savage Sword of Conan sometime =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
It wouldn't be a problem if they made scantily clad guys in sexy poses but they never do.

That Berserker doesn't fit the bill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boofus wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

That Berserker doesn't fit the bill?

Scantily clad but no sexy pose. Maybe if he was thrusting his pelvis forward awkwardly while swinging his weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.