Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Gold West» Forums » Rules

Subject: Terrain Bonus Ties (primarily 2nd place) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw if there is a tie for first, you split the points for 1st and 2nd place and therefore there is no 2nd place awarded.

Let's say in a 3 player game, 1 person gets 1st, the other 2 players tie for 2nd place. Do those players just split the 2nd place points?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
I saw if there is a tie for first, you split the points for 1st and 2nd place and therefore there is no 2nd place awarded.

Let's say in a 3 player game, 1 person gets 1st, the other 2 players tie for 2nd place. Do those players just split the 2nd place points?

Yes - this happened in my game tonight in fact.

I hope you enjoy Gold West!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
belial1134 wrote:
I saw if there is a tie for first, you split the points for 1st and 2nd place and therefore there is no 2nd place awarded.

Let's say in a 3 player game, 1 person gets 1st, the other 2 players tie for 2nd place. Do those players just split the 2nd place points?

Yes - this happened in my game tonight in fact.

I hope you enjoy Gold West!


Hmm, I just noticed 2nd place points are: 4, 5, 6, and 7...so how would you split the 5 and 7 points if two players tie for it since it would be 2.5 and 3.5 per player?

Round down or round up?

Thanks.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
belial1134 wrote:
I saw if there is a tie for first, you split the points for 1st and 2nd place and therefore there is no 2nd place awarded.

Let's say in a 3 player game, 1 person gets 1st, the other 2 players tie for 2nd place. Do those players just split the 2nd place points?

Yes - this happened in my game tonight in fact.

I hope you enjoy Gold West!


Hmm, I just noticed 2nd place points are: 4, 5, 6, and 7...so how would you split the 5 and 7 points if two players tie for it since it would be 2.5 and 3.5 per player?

Round down or round up?

Thanks.


We rounded down.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At the bottom of page 10 in the rules, regarding terrain bonuses: "Subsequent ties result in a split of the points for first and second, rounded down."

That applies only to a tie for first place in a given terrain type, but I extrapolated to mean that splitting the points for second place also involves rounding down.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
belial1134 wrote:
I saw if there is a tie for first, you split the points for 1st and 2nd place and therefore there is no 2nd place awarded.

Let's say in a 3 player game, 1 person gets 1st, the other 2 players tie for 2nd place. Do those players just split the 2nd place points?

Yes - this happened in my game tonight in fact.

I hope you enjoy Gold West!


I am just crazy to get this to the table. I set it up (love the components!) and did my usual couple of turns to make sure I understood it before introducing it to my husband but I was so loving the gameplay that I finished the whole 2p game. Lots of fun and very satisfying especially considering that I am not at all fond of solo game play. I know Miles is going to really love it, too. Hope we can find out this weekend.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FreedomGunfire wrote:
At the bottom of page 10 in the rules, regarding terrain bonuses: "Subsequent ties result in a split of the points for first and second, rounded down."

That applies only to a tie for first place in a given terrain type, but I extrapolated to mean that splitting the points for second place also involves rounding down.


It would be great if we could get an official answer on this... because if that is true, it's different than how 2nd-place is handle for the looting penalty (No splitting/reduction in penalty for 2nd-place).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alex Kevern
United States
Mahopac
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, splits in terrain bonuses are always rounded down when they do not come out to a whole number.

In the case of the Wanted Area, if there is a tie for Most (or Second Most) Wanted, both tied players receive the penalty.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I read it correctly, they were looking for confirmation that 2nd place tie in terrain influence was split and rounded down.
I had been playing it that way since 1st place tie is sum 1st and 2nd place and split (rounding down if needed)
ee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alex Kevern
United States
Mahopac
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
If I read it correctly, they were looking for confirmation that 2nd place tie in terrain influence was split and rounded down.
I had been playing it that way since 1st place tie is sum 1st and 2nd place and split (rounding down if needed)
ee


Yes exactly, if there is a tie for 2nd place, the tied players split the 2nd place points (rounded down).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.