Popular Tags: [View All]
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's up with all the Italians rating this game a "10"? Didn't we raid you enough back in the day? You think this is fun, do you?!?

I hope you at least had the decency of reading the rules

Okay, jokes aside, all your 10's are truly impressive, and it smells more like "We're gonna do the marketing of the future Italian edition through the BGG rating system." Or what do I know. I guess the game is decent enough, but 10's does not compute, really. You are probably totally embarrassing Mr Rosenberg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weirdly a lot of new users too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only seeing one 10. Did they remove them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
I'm only seeing one 10. Did they remove them?

Check also ratings without comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/182...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting how those accounts only seem to love games published by uplay.it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Valencia
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Italian Conspiracy of 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FiNeX
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About 5 users have rated less than 5 games, all by Uplay. Two accounts, in particular, voted only Hengist and Caverna (both with 10, and both published by Uplay).

Two account are strictly related to Uplay, it looks fine that they give a 10... and one is a game designer who create graphics for... yes, Uplay :-)

One account voted more than 60 games, all with 10, guess the publisher... Uplay again.

Looks funny whistle

Anyway if the game is really good 10 votes shouldn't alter the statistics in the long time :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
finex wrote:
About 5 users have rated less than 5 games, all by Uplay. Two accounts, in particular, voted only Hengist and Caverna (both with 10, and both published by Uplay).

Two account are strictly related to Uplay, it looks fine that they give a 10... and one is a game designer who create graphics for... yes, Uplay :-)

One account voted more than 60 games, all with 10, guess the publisher... Uplay again.

Looks funny whistle

Anyway if the game is really good 10 votes shouldn't alter the statistics in the long time :-)

Wow, that's poor practice. We are not on Amazon here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the long run it will work out, but right now that rating has increased significantly, and some unsuspecting gamers may well buy what has so far been a pretty poorly received game. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were initially more Italian 10's. It has since been reduced to currently six. It does not matter in the long run, really.

What puzzles me more, is how both Uwe and Mayfair found this was a game good enough for publishing. Maybe the publisher overruled some of the initial designs of it and thereby "destroyed" it? Maybe they meant the 3D cardboard ship would be the main attraction (like Ludonaute did with the (imo) rather mediocre game Colt Express)? Or maybe they are doing some kind of social experiment with us??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shepherd
United Kingdom
Ovington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a dice tower interview with Uwe where he states this is a 15 year old game, released for "strategic reasons", and not aimed at his fans.

Elsewhere on BGG, Uwe has posted (in German) that he was too busy with a new child and other game designs to do any recent development work on Hengist, and it was left with Hanno/Lookout.

My take on the situation is that the game only exists because Uwe still has contractual obligations to Lookout (though his heart seems to be with Feuerland Spiele now), and Lookout/Mayfair wanted a new Uwe Rosenburg game on the shelves in time for Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrShep wrote:
There's a dice tower interview with Uwe where he states this is a 15 year old game, released for "strategic reasons", and not aimed at his fans.

Elsewhere on BGG, Uwe has posted (in German) that he was too busy with a new child and other game designs to do any recent development work on Hengist, and it was left with Hanno/Lookout.

Wow, isn't that like a kick in the arse to all fans? The box doesn't say "Not for my fans!", it is unbelievable. As if an author would willingly write a bad book and accept that people think this is the best he can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no 'For my fans!" written on it either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player77 wrote:
There's no 'For my fans!" written on it either.

Sure there is, it's spelled U-W-E R-O-S-E-N-B-E-R-G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's your interpretation, then that's your problem.
I'm an Uwe fan as well, but that doesn't mean that I like all of his games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nonsense.

The reason they put out an underdeveloped/garbage game wasn't because it was the only underdeveloped/garbage design they could find in the world, it was because it has Uwe's name on it and that name suggests an experienced and established designer that you can trust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward J Grug III wrote:
Nonsense.

The reason they put out an underdeveloped/garbage game wasn't because it was the only underdeveloped/garbage design they could find in the world, it was because it has Uwe's name on it and that name suggests an experienced and established designer that you can trust.

While your "Nonsense" is just that, pure nonsense, you're actually right about the 2nd comment ..... and you fell for their strategy. There's only one person to blame and that's yourself.

I usually try to read or watch videos about games before I buy them. That's the reason why there are a couple of Uwe games that I haven't bought. I just don't think that I'd like them enough to spend that much money on them.
I bought Hengist without reading anything about it and yes, I do think that it's not a great game. It's just a 15 Euro game though and I'm sure I or someone else can come up with some kind of custom rule set to make the game enjoyable enough to keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player77 wrote:
Edward J Grug III wrote:
Nonsense.

While your "Nonsense" is just that, pure nonsense, you're actually right about the 2nd comment ..... and you fell for their strategy. There's only one person to blame and that's yourself.

I usually try to read or watch videos about games before I buy them. That's the reason why there are a couple of Uwe games that I haven't bought. I just don't think that I'd like them enough to spend that much money on them.
I bought Hengist without reading anything about it and yes, I do think that it's not a great game. It's just a 15 Euro game though and I'm sure I or someone else can come up with some kind of custom rule set to make the game enjoyable enough to keep it.

I didn't buy it, so I haven't fallen for anything.

You agree that their straegy was to trick people into buying a subpar game based on the name on the box, so I don't understand what you are arguing about. That's what I am saying they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, now we're in tin foil hat country...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Player77 wrote:
It's just a 15 Euro game though and I'm sure I or someone else can come up with some kind of custom rule set to make the game enjoyable enough to keep it.

Perhaps if you replaced the rules and the components you might get a really enjoyable Uwe game (re: Trigger's Broom).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well .... I'm not arguing. I'm just saying that you never know what kind of game you'll get by looking at the authors name on the box. You don't agree with me and you're arguing about it.
Fact is ..... Uwe has made simple games and complex games. So you can expect either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.