Epic Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: I've been waiting for something like this... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I've been waiting for a game with the feel of M:TG without having to collect loads of cards and spend lots of money. My FLGS are getting them in today and I'm thinking about getting two sets to start so I can make 60 card decks for each faction and then if I like it and get more people who want to play it with me get a third so we can go for a cube draft. Does that sound like a decent way to go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, if you're going to buy more than one set, you might as well just get 3 up front. That way you have all the cards you'll ever need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a way to go, but I don't think it's the best way to go. I think it's kind of boring to play single-faction decks. Also, decks are only 30 cards, so you can do that with one copy of the game.

I would just play one of the many limited variants. Drafting is probably the best, especially with 3 or 4 players. With two players, a Rochester draft might be best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah I see that now. The only format you need a deck of 60 cards is constructed and all others the decks are 30 cards. I think the limited formats are probably the best way to go. I may only grab one set right now it that case because I don't think I'll ever have more than 4 people to play this with, at least not right now anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with the suggest draft and I loved it. I think I will never play sealed again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
We're glad you like the idea of Epic. We hope you love actually playing. =)

- Nathan Davis
Studio Manager, WWG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
1,3 or 4 (1 regualar, 3 boxes for pseudo rarity) make sense imho!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mod_XXII wrote:
I played with the suggest draft and I loved it. I think I will never play sealed again.

Tend to agree but sealed is good for teaching and if you are later very experienced and want quick games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I'm trying to decide whether to get one or two sets. I don't have the money right now to spend close to $50 but can swing $30 or so. Honestly does it make sense to get a second set right now if I'm only ever going to have 2-4 players anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:
I'm trying to decide whether to get one or two sets. I don't have the money right now to spend close to $50 but can swing $30 or so. Honestly does it make sense to get a second set right now if I'm only ever going to have 2-4 players anyway?

I'd start with one set. You can always get additional sets later. I am very happy with my three sets, but one is enough to get started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
if you are later very experienced and want quick games.

Well, I tend to keep the previous drafted decks. if I'm in a hurry I use those ones, otherwise we do a new draft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Waits
United States
Elizabethtown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
1,3 or 4 (1 regualar, 3 boxes for pseudo rarity) make sense imho!

I have 4 so far, working my way up to 10. 3 for Cube, 3 for Constructed, 1 for Demigods, 3 for Elder Gods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a single dude: 1, 3 or 4 make sense.

1 for regular games, 3 for rarity drafting, and if you do that you can keep those two sets separated. The gods are okay, but don't justify another box imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.