BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Can you identify this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kettle Drum
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Someone on another forum I frequent was given this game, but with no instructions, or even a name. I was told this is THE place to go on the internet to find out! Who's going to win bragging rights as the first to help solve the mystery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Boggle or one of the many similar versions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
bucklen_uk wrote:
Looks like Boggle or one of the many similar versions

I was thinking Boggle, but I've never seen a version that did not have a tray for the dice to fall into a grid. This also seems to have fewer dice (Boggle has 16). I also wonder what the numbers on the sides are for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.google.com/search?q=boggle+clear+plastic+square+...

Looks like that one is custom made though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one of those. It's not a traditional game, more of a toy, but it did come with instructions. Here's how to play:

Roll the die. Players have a set amount of time to find and write down as many words as possible using the letters shown on the small dice (Just as in Boggle, but with no adjacency rules - you can use the letters in any order).

Each player scores a number of points for each word equal to the number shown on the large die. After scoring, roll the die again and play another round. In this way, each round words are worth different amounts. You can make up a lot of points in a high value round.

The game ends after six rounds. The player with the most points wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How big is this? I can't tell the scale from the picture. I assume all the sides are numbered 1 through 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kettle Drum
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Nick - thanks - that sounds very reasonable. Does it have a name of any sort?

Thunkd wrote:
How big is this? I can't tell the scale from the picture. I assume all the sides are numbered 1 through 6?

I don't have any more info except the picture. I can ask though. I'd guess from the photos that the big cube is maybe 5 inches across?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kettledrum wrote:
Nick - thanks - that sounds very reasonable. Does it have a name of any sort?

Thunkd wrote:

I don't have any more info except the picture. I can ask though. I'd guess from the photos that the big cube is maybe 5 inches across?

The cube is about 1.75 inches (3.5cm), not very big at all.

I don't recall the name of the item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
I have one of those. It's not a traditional game, more of a toy, but it did come with instructions. Here's how to play:

Roll the die. Players have a set amount of time to find and write down as many words as possible using the letters shown on the small dice (Just as in Boggle, but with no adjacency rules - you can use the letters in any order).

Each player scores a number of points for each word equal to the number shown on the large die. After scoring, roll the die again and play another round. In this way, each round words are worth different amounts. You can make up a lot of points in a high value round.

The game ends after six rounds. The player with the most points wins.
Making the rounds arbitrarily worth a different number of points seems stupid to me. Why should one round be worth 1/6 as much as another?

Now, if you had 2 or 3 of these dice, a good game might present itself. Having three sets of letters worth different numbers of points results in interesting decisions about how much of your allotted time you should spend hunting for easy words in the low-value die v. harder to spot words in the high-value die.

Pete (would play that latter game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootleg Boggle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Now, if you had 2 or 3 of these dice, a good game might present itself. Having three sets of letters worth different numbers of points results in interesting decisions about how much of your allotted time you should spend hunting for easy words in the low-value die v. harder to spot words in the high-value die.

Pete (would play that latter game)

I like that idea! But can you make it so that all three dice are in another die cube, which has numbers on it that act as a multiplier when rolled? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kettle Drum
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wow, that is a really small cube. I was way off from guessing at the photo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.