17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: games simulating systems of government / "law passing"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leônidas Pereira
msg tools
Hello,
I'm currently working on my undergrad senior thesys here in Brazil, researching topics related to games and politics. I've already found some interesting lists on boardgames on this subject, but I'm looking for something a bit more specific.

What games do you guys know that somehow try to simulate one or more systems of government (presidentialism, etc.) or the whole "law passing" process (I'm not sure how to call this exactly, but I'm talking about somehow voting if a law should pass or not, as if players were the senate).

I really appreciate your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster includes a phase where players vote on laws. It is a very simple process that involves using cubes that represent the number of votes you are allocating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hartman
United States
Battle Ground
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Article 27: The UN Security Council Game is about voting international law. its very light and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Founding Fathers does that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brudz
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
The Republic of Rome
Democracy: Majority Rules
Article 27: The UN Security Council Game
Founding Fathers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not the entire focus of either game, but, both Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and Cuba have a law and voting mechanic as part of the game rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leônidas Pereira
msg tools
All look into the games you guys pointed, thank you : )

feel free to keep listing more games you remeber/find out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brudz
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Corporate America
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Macher, the famous five hour foray into German politics. Each player plays a political party, and is trying to gain the most seats. One main mechanic of the game is evolving your party policy to best match the popular opinion as elections are held in region to region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomic is a game in which the point is to change the rules of the game. Nomic might be useful if you wanted to focus on changes to the senate's rules (cloture votes, filibuster, which votes require a majority and which require a supermajority). I seem to recall reading somewhere that Nomic effectively puts the players in the position of members of the constitutional convention.

Dvorak is set of implementations of the Nomic framework into cardgames. A deck may be created prior to play, during play, or a combination thereof. Players may propose rule changes and new cards during play. One possibility would be to create a Dvorak deck using the theme of the senate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junta for Latin American politics.

Kremlin for Cold War Russia.

(Both are satirical in their approach).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious Gamer
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warrior Knights. Sure, it's medieval, but it counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robt. Ferrett
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing Politics is a book by a political scientist with games all about setting rules, winning elections, finagling agendas, and more...all the games include the option of changing the rules of the game.

Most of the games require a deck of cards and play money; a couple require a simple chart that you can copy.

Owned it for years...never played any of the games, though.

Some of the games involve negotiating over policy goals--those would probably be closest to what you've described.

Also, the election game can be tweaked to be first-past-the-post, proportional representation, modified proportional, and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robt. Ferrett
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Also Democrazy is a light game all about passing laws. Not a favorite of mine, but it fits the description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Carbon Copy Politics has a simple simulation of the issue. It will be available for sale soon on TheGameCrafter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba has a small element of this. There are four 'laws' in place and each round 4 new law changes are drawn. Players blind bid to choose which 2 proposals come into effect (replacing 2 of the existing ones).

Of course, this is just money influencing political decisions. Not at all like real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bizarre monster of a game, but La Révolution française: La patrie en danger 1790-1796 has you passing laws. And changing regimes. And prosecuting the former rulers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.