1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Whats the current REAL status of Myth? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daman whodaman
msg tools
mbmb
I am stuck with my commitment and spending for this game and have put it seriously on the back-burner and realistically dont foresee anything progressing or occurring with this disaster of management for sometime deep in 2016... dont really plan ANY further purchases to them...

saying this; why they so backward? So many other great coop games coming out and some with much less drama/issues...meaning that they're playable. (Dont tell me this is playable till 2.0 is delivered to my door which is BS for those claiming that it is)

Either ways right now i am so much into other games that actually work and some that are about come out without delays or much issues...

brimstone..
dungeon saga..
kingdom death..
sword and sorcery...
and probably others forgot to mention

Damn Myth what a great game of disappointment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always download the 2.0 stuff from their website (where it has been available for months as a free download), and decide for yourself whether it is "playable"...

Myself, I've been playing it quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
mbmb
Jude wrote:
You could always download the 2.0 stuff from their website (where it has been available for months as a free download), and decide for yourself whether it is "playable"...

No no.. didnt spend X amount to print and test things out that they should... i respect how you wish to do things but i didnt pay so i can print when i actually should have the cards in my hands.. delays delays is all i hear as they try to push their other games out...

I maybe ranting but i think i am in the right with expectations.. great game again but surely a huge mistake to have run into it without realizing how messed up they were...

lots of people gave up on them and will as things drag on...the last time i complained of this was nearly 3 months ago and since then..aint much changed or really nothing has... so do the math and maybe realize that they just dont have it in them.

i will and have no choice wait for them one day to surprise me at my door with what they promised but then again as client count me out.. done with dumb spending then again never know its a chance we all take..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed out the 1.5 stuff a long time ago and have had nothing but positive experiences with that. Looking forward to the 2.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you want to talk expectations:

brimstone.. Core game arrived on time. Wave 2 is expected 2 years later, about 3 years after the KS ended. The lackluster rules in that game drove me into the arms of Myth.

dungeon saga.. don't know enough.

kingdom death.. Had it's own share of issues and was really late in getting out.

sword and sorcery... on KS now. It's gonna be awhile. The generic fantasy theme is a turn off.

Myth certainly had it's issues, but no more no less than some of the other KS' you've mentioned.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drakkonblade wrote:
I am stuck with my commitment and spending for this game and have put it seriously on the back-burner and realistically dont foresee anything progressing or occurring with this disaster of management for sometime deep in 2016... dont really plan ANY further purchases to them...

saying this; why they so backward? So many other great coop games coming out and some with much less drama/issues...meaning that they're playable. (Dont tell me this is playable till 2.0 is delivered to my door which is BS for those claiming that it is)

Either ways right now i am so much into other games that actually work and some that are about come out without delays or much issues...

brimstone..
dungeon saga..
kingdom death..
sword and sorcery...
and probably others forgot to mention

Damn Myth what a great game of disappointment

What a great guestion. What is the real deal with Myth - this game's status is so disjointed the future is impossible to predict. It's unlike any game I can think of. Think about it:

1)The game is popular
2) The game isn't very friendly to new players
3) almost impossible to teach without serious dedication on both sides
4) people love the game who figure it out
5) people want to like it
6) not enough Miniatures in retail to properly play the game
7) game has had 2 kickstarters yet it's not playable without downloadable rules

Etc. etc

What is the real deal with Myth? What is it's future?

I backed Folklore: The Affliction - surely it will be playable? Another co-op available to Myth fans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drakkonblade wrote:
Jude wrote:

No no.. didnt spend X amount to print and test things out that they should... i respect how you wish to do things but i didnt pay so i can print when i actually should have the cards in my hands.. delays delays is all i hear as they try to push their other games out...

I maybe ranting but i think i am in the right with expectations.. great game again but surely a huge mistake to have run into it without realizing how messed up they were...

lots of people gave up on them and will as things drag on...the last time i complained of this was nearly 3 months ago and since then..aint much changed or really nothing has... so do the math and maybe realize that they just dont have it in them.

i will and have no choice wait for them one day to surprise me at my door with what they promised but then again as client count me out.. done with dumb spending then again never know its a chance we all take..

Sounds to me like you are getting upset a bit early...

There are always delays in large projects, especially ones that have a lot of miniatures, so I don't expect they will hit their deadline, but that said, their deadline is June 2016! No need to get upset yet...

As for the 2.0 materials, I believe them when they say they are pretty much ready to ship. MCG just needs to nail down the last of the pledges that need replacement cards and then they can get the 2.0 cards and rulebooks out the door. I'm really looking forward to receiving my copy of the base game and the 2.0 cards so I can get playing.

I think you should let MCG attempt to meet their deadline first, before you begin to complain about how long it is taking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
mbmb
quietcorn wrote:
I printed out the 1.5 stuff a long time ago and have had nothing but positive experiences with that. Looking forward to the 2.0

I am sure that it played awesome, but i dont think you PAID so you can play via printed cards (paper)... or neither are you supposed to test out their game rules as it being 1.5 and now 2.0

gee isnt it about having FUN!

Again; dont want to sound like bashing it as i do love it, but seriously... no one really expected this much of a hassle.. tell me to wait a year and then maybe you'll get it; Id say "NP, but make sure its damn playable or near to it..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
mbmb
Brian T wrote:
drakkonblade wrote:
Jude wrote:

Sounds to me like you are getting upset a bit early...

There are always delays in large projects, especially ones that have a lot of miniatures, so I don't expect they will hit their deadline, but that said, their deadline is June 2016! No need to get upset yet...

As for the 2.0 materials, I believe them when they say they are pretty much ready to ship. MCG just needs to nail down the last of the pledges that need replacement cards and then they can get the 2.0 cards and rulebooks out the door. I'm really looking forward to receiving my copy of the base game and the 2.0 cards so I can get playing.

I think you should let MCG attempt to meet their deadline first, before you begin to complain about how long it is taking...

No no.. aint upset, but baffled... i have no choice but to let them handle their issues on their end and wait for whenever 2.0 arrives.

I just hope after this shipment they have their SH-T down so their paid customers can enjoy whats due... Also dont expect any new purchases from most of us unless we feel that they have gotten their act together.

I also agree that their many KS games that were delayed BUT did not ship until was ready... to me it seems like from what ive read/heard shipped without much proper mindset..........

either ways ranting now so will stop there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Conner
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drakkonblade wrote:

kingdom death..

Is this a joke? Kingdom Death went through over 2 years of delays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
mbmb
JConner wrote:
drakkonblade wrote:

kingdom death..

Is this a joke? Kingdom Death went through over 2 years of delays.

Delays doesnt equate to the issues myth is having.. rather have delays then the current wait for this or that or we changing that (quests) to that.. etc

Either ways in the end when it does come i am sure it be super awesome! But so sad we can not fully enjoy it as meant to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The current state of any game is what one makes of it. If one enjoys it then the game is just that for the player. If one doesn't enjoy it then, well, the same could be said for that player.

I do think that this holds true for Myth more than any other game. It is like a huge dungeon fight construction kit that gives back as much as one puts into it. Its system is solid enough that players have done fine by it, it's rough around the edges which allows for some flexibility.

I think its primary strength lies in its relative ambiguity, it handles the fights and I handle the story. It doesn't try to force anything on me and I have great fun with it. I also happen to like World of Warcraft though I don't play any more, so perhaps that has something to do with my enjoyment of Myth. I see a lot of parallels between the two.

The current 'real' state of Myth for me is that I have one hell of a game system that is getting a HUGE boost with all the new content sometime down the road.

It's all good!

The so-called drama is a product of both poor communication and player reaction to that communication and I stay far away from it. I'm patient so I don't even notice delays. I could easily point fingers and find faults but frankly: what a waste of time. The state of board gaming is so epic right now that there isn't enough time to play everything NOW. I have games that I know won't see the table for years and that is okay. They will be there when I need them!

Moving halfway around the world, being without boardgames for months, having to find a new group...it's kind of put things into perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
mbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
The current state of any game is what one makes of it. If one enjoys it then the game is just that for the player. If one doesn't enjoy it then, well, the same could be said for that player.

I do think that this holds true for Myth more than any other game. It is like a huge dungeon fight construction kit that gives back as much as one puts into it. Its system is solid enough that players have done fine by it, it's rough around the edges which allows for some flexibility.

I think its primary strength lies in its relative ambiguity, it handles the fights and I handle the story. It doesn't try to force anything on me and I have great fun with it. I also happen to like World of Warcraft though I don't play any more, so perhaps that has something to do with my enjoyment of Myth. I see a lot of parallels between the two.

The current 'real' state of Myth for me is that I have one hell of a game system that is getting a HUGE boost with all the new content sometime down the road.

It's all good!

The so-called drama is a product of both poor communication and player reaction to that communication and I stay far away from it. I'm patient so I don't even notice delays. I could easily point fingers and find faults but frankly: what a waste of time. The state of board gaming is so epic right now that there isn't enough time to play everything NOW. I have games that I know won't see the table for years and that is okay. They will be there when I need them!

Moving halfway around the world, being without boardgames for months, having to find a new group...it's kind of put things into perspective.

well said and much respect!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree that the initial release was nothing short of disastrous and I was definitely one of those people who shelved the game till it was "fixed" I pulled it out again during the second KS to see how the modules played and thought it was good enough to end up backing again.

Now I would be the first to admit that if I didn't have access to professional printing equipment through my job I never would have made the 2.0 material so I can definitely empathize with those that don't feel like they should have to pay to print materials to fix something they bought. Heck, myth would still be shelved if it weren't for printing the new materials. However, rules revisions are nothing new for miniatures games so I wouldn't have an issue with printing out a new rules document. It's the printing and cutting of EVERY SINGLE printed component for the game that is ludicrous.

So in short, drakkonblade I agree with the points you raise with printing 2.0 material. I think you are being rather hyperbolic and ranty with your other arguments, has MCG given any indication that their second KS will be as bungled and unplayable as their first? Not that I'm aware of, and with all of the improvements from 1.0 over the past 2 years as well as the redesign to modules I find it hard to believe that you will receive a box of unplayable plastic. It's not as if the 2.0 material has rendered your original 1.0 tiles and figures useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
mbmb
chbyer wrote:
I'll agree that the initial release was nothing short of disastrous and I was definitely one of those people who shelved the game till it was "fixed" I pulled it out again during the second KS to see how the modules played and thought it was good enough to end up backing again.

Now I would be the first to admit that if I didn't have access to professional printing equipment through my job I never would have made the 2.0 material so I can definitely empathize with those that don't feel like they should have to pay to print materials to fix something they bought. Heck, myth would still be shelved if it weren't for printing the new materials. However, rules revisions are nothing new for miniatures games so I wouldn't have an issue with printing out a new rules document. It's the printing and cutting of EVERY SINGLE printed component for the game that is ludicrous.

So in short, drakkonblade I agree with the points you raise with printing 2.0 material. I think you are being rather hyperbolic and ranty with your other arguments, has MCG given any indication that their second KS will be as bungled and unplayable as their first? Not that I'm aware of, and with all of the improvements from 1.0 over the past 2 years as well as the redesign to modules I find it hard to believe that you will receive a box of unplayable plastic. It's not as if the 2.0 material has rendered your original 1.0 tiles and figures useless.

Thank you but i cant play something when all i hear it has revisions... meaning that i will wait without choice for 2.0 release.

Other than that you are right as i am going of on a tangent ranting... though people telling that you can download it is plain silly... To be honest if it was for sale 2.0 cards on their site as of now i'd buy it to just be done with it...

All of its great material is awesome but without the basic core items like official set rules is meaningless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strom40 wrote:

4) some people love the game who figure it out

Fixed that for you. Plenty of us "figured it out" and found the game to be lacking any serious decisions, narrative cohesion, or variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first kickstarter - everything seems okay to me. Stuff maybe late but that's no big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
TrotskyTrotsky wrote:
This is my first kickstarter - everything seems okay to me. Stuff maybe late but that's no big deal.

I hope you're talking about Journeyman...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon.... I have to ask. Why are you kickstarting games to begin with?

Seriously, why don't you just buy games from a local small business or order them online? I will never understand the kickstarter trend. It seems like the least fun aspect of this entire hobby is kickstarter.

The established game companies for the most part are small businesses staffed by folks who love this hobby. Why not support them? Game stores are small local businesses staffed by folks who love this hobby, why not support them as well?

Why anyone would dump hundreds of dollars into a turkey like this Myth kickstart and than be upset about for years is beyond me. We're not fusing atoms here, these are cardboard and plastic games. There is no excuse for anyone involved with this project to not have the completed game by now. Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
Strom40 wrote:

4) some people love the game who figure it out

Fixed that for you. Plenty of us "figured it out" and found the game to be lacking any serious decisions, narrative cohesion, or variety.

Seems just a tad hash.....

Whilst you could make an argument that for any individual character in a given position there may a a clear course of action the communication required for three characters in a difficult situation to communicate effectively enough to play at an optimum level is not trivial. I see people fail at much simpler communication tasks in business every day. So I'm not really buying into the no serious decisions argument.

The narrative cohesion rather depends on the player. I'd like to think that my games of Myth have a high level of narrarive cohesion....but that's because I add it! The system provides more of a narrarive crutch than many but I've always seen it largely as a vehicle for your own story telling and in that sense you only get out of it what you put into it.

The variety question is a legitimate one. Whether the creatures are varied enough to make challenges that largely only involve fighting fun on the scale the game is building to is open to debate. Personally I'd like to see a simple skill system to beef up non-combat actions. This might make it easier to add richness to the story arc and help build a more compelling narrative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I enjoy(ed) myth a ton, even prior to 1.5. I was still running the 1.0 cards with some references to the 2.0 but with the 2.0 maybe shipping soon????? soonish???? myth went back onto the shelf..... and SoB came down.. but with the 1.5 shipping and new 'better' content(see can of worms) now SoB is back on the shelf while I wait for that 'upgrade.'

As for the OP, not sure what the issue is? An individual can choose to invest time and money into something or not? Disappointment is understandable, impatience with timing is understandable as well. Myth 1 KS had issues and delivered a game with very nice minis and intriguing concepts that needed "some/a lot" further fleshing out. I do not think there is a single game on my shelf that I(emphasis here) have not bumbled some rule in or the rule book has an error or omission or straight out contradiction, or FAQ is needed. From all of that bumbling about I have learned to go with my gut judgement and look it up later, and playing Myth originally had a bit more bumbling than normal. But it was FUN bumbling for me.. and I look forward to more bumbling(which will likely still be more present in Myth than other games).

There are a plethora of coop dungeon crawl games now available. From dice chuck roll your own adventure like SoB to more Eurostyle-choice in Gloomhaven(again waiting, having printed and played the PnP)... We truly are in a golden age of board games... so take your pick and play what YOU enjoy. sell/ignore the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Journeyman...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
mbmb
Cracky wrote:
Drakon.... I have to ask. Why are you kickstarting games to begin with?

Seriously, why don't you just buy games from a local small business or order them online? I will never understand the kickstarter trend. It seems like the least fun aspect of this entire hobby is kickstarter.

The established game companies for the most part are small businesses staffed by folks who love this hobby. Why not support them? Game stores are small local businesses staffed by folks who love this hobby, why not support them as well?

Why anyone would dump hundreds of dollars into a turkey like this Myth kickstart and than be upset about for years is beyond me. We're not fusing atoms here, these are cardboard and plastic games. There is no excuse for anyone involved with this project to not have the completed game by now. Period.

issues issues.. there is no reason why someone shouldnt be able to support whom they want to.. though when you make deadlines and commitments.. please commit to them... this issue isnt in the case of ALL KS cases.. yes some games took longer than the usual to deliver but it delivered in a playable stage unlike in Myth's case...

This subject is so old but at the same time what really bothers me is how they wish to resolve this for their current and possibly next clients as i am sure many wrote them off...

i dont care for DELAYS..its the mismanagement and disorganized BS that riles me up... tell me it be a year and "BAM" i can live with it until that date comes but dont shift the news like the weather man does for the weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
mbmb
TrotskyTrotsky wrote:
Yes, Journeyman...
who cares for that when the current version (base game) is in a mixup state...god i hope they dont mess journeyman or...whatever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.